1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas Golf - November 10/11

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Herbie, Oct 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herbie

Herbie Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi, I have been watching these forums for a while in preparation for a trip to the U.S. next month from Western Australia. Am interested in hitting a course on either the 10th or 11th November and would love to hear suggestions of courses.

Even better, if a member is after a game and would like to arrange something please let me know. I typically play to around an 18-20 handicap and am open to playing anytime throughout the day (although the earlier the better for me!)

Thanks

Chris

2. abrolsma

abrolsma Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Paioute - wolf! I absolutely loved it. I believe they had the long drive contest there a few weeks back. I also enjoyed Wolf Creek. (Apparently I like wolves).

3. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome, Herbie!

What kind of course are you looking for? One with trees or one with desert? One that is really hard or one that is not too bad? The course recommended above, Pauite Wolf is often recommended. The only negative about it is that it's not close to the strip. Will you be renting car?

4. Herbie

Herbie Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the welcome

I will have a car while I am there and am not fazed by if it is tough or not. I am staying at Aria and the concierge recommrnded Bali hai golf club!?

5. FOURTYFOUR

FOURTYFOUR Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bali Hai was OK. This trip I am planning on going to Cascata November 6th. I have been told it is one of the best. PHON 2014 083.jpg Picture is of Bali Hai.

6. stackinchips

stackinchips VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bali Hai is a very solid course. It's not traditional desert target golf, which I'm not much of a fan of. While there are definitely nicer courses, and better values, Bali Hai is a very good option if you're looking for a solid round with the convenience of being on the strip. The planes are a little annoying but not a big deal IMO. I know some here lament (ahem Ken) Bali Hai, but if you don't have a car, or don't feel like driving 2 hours on top of your round of golf, it's a good option. Much better than shelling out $500 for the most overpriced/overrated course in the country down at the Wynn.

7. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have a car don't mind the drive, Pauite Wolf is hard to beat.

8. IvanBeausky

IvanBeausky Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I could only play one course in Nevada, it would be Wolf Creek in Mesquite. Reasonable drive up I-15. Coolest golf course I've ever played. And I've been around. Whatever you do, do NOT punk out and play Badlands or the sucky Del Webb course up in summerlin . If time isn't a problem, there really isn't any comparison. The Chase at Coyote Springs is a distant second, with Paiute in at third. Rio Secco, Wynn, and Bali Hai are way way way less interesting and frankly, less golf course than Wolf Creek or the Chase (and more expensive!)

9. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bali Hai is ok and it's close by. Agree with others about Paiute, about a half hour drive. Wolf is the best but, the other two are ok as well. I have enjoyed Rio Secco, TPC and Badlands for more moderate pricing and reasonably close by. Cascata is a Casears property and will cost you $$$$ since you are staying at Aria, if you have the $$$, try Shadow Creek. If you want something different, Wolf Creek (1.5 hrs) is pretty cool as well as Sand Hollow (2hrs) and Conestoga out Mesquite/St. George Utah way.

10. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't think Badlands was bad at all. It seems that other than the top 3-5 courses in Vegas, one can never get a consensus. I'm thinking of TPC, Rio Secco, Revere, or Arroyo for November. Or, if the price is right, I'd go back to Badlands.

11. Herbie

Herbie Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies.

I have a friend who played Royal Links GC - does anyone have any feedback on that course?

On a side note - are bushes and scrub no-go zones if you happen to be looking for your ball or are most creepy crawlies etc in hiding by November?

12. tldbucs

tldbucs Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you can swing it, no pun intended, I recommend, since you are staying at Aria, Shadow Creek.

13. M_ILIS

M_ILIS VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I played Cascata in late August, our caddie told us that Shadow Creek hasn't been in very good shape lately. So if you decide to splurge on it, I'd definitely recommend inquiring about conditions first.

14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Three to play in/around Vegas, and Bali Hai ain't remotely one of them. Nor is Royal Links, though I'm not death on RL like I am Bali Hai.

Coyote Springs
    Paiute Snow
    Paiute Wolf

I've not included the Multi-Ben ubercourses of MGM Resorts or McCaesars (love 'em both), and certainly not Wynn.

Wolf Creek is nearly other-worldly. Sadly, so is the service, and I don't mean a good other world.

15. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree wholeheartedly with Ken and will add that if one is going to drive to Wolf Creek, and while it is truly a one of a kind experience, I would still drive to Coyote Springs instead.
    Especially if you want or need to loosen up on a great range after the drive. Wolf Creek fails miserably in that regard.

16. Herbie

Herbie Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the responses. Looks like Paiute Wolf on the Tuesday morning it is!

17. IvanBeausky

IvanBeausky Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Surprised by your comment there Ken. Wolf Creek has always been good to us in the service department. Hands down, Paiute is the worst. If that course had to count on their people to stay in business instead of the quality of the golf, it would already be bankrupt. But I think we are on the same page with The Chase. I love that place too.

18. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ivan, I have always had great service at Paiute. How many times have you been out there? Just curious.
    And contrarily I have had both poor (early summer) conditions at WC and never had good service at both the clubhouse and food service.
    Before you can say WC is the one course to play in Nevada, I would hope you would have gotten out to Shadow. Or even Cascata.
    Just another player's take.
    Off course I'm also a Giant fan.....

19. IvanBeausky

IvanBeausky Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been to Paiute about 6 or 7 times. normally in conjunction with a Pro-am they host in the fall. Twice during March Madness. I don't really remember the first few as being bad, but the last 3 have been awful clubhouse-crew wise. Surly, abrupt, and not at all helpful. And it wasn't like I was asking for anything special. I hang with a few other guys who have had separate but still very similar experiences. Maybe it is just luck of the draw. WC, I bet I have played 10 times. Again, I don't really remember my interaction with the crew the first few times, but the last 2 have been awesome. Again, maybe it is just what day you happen to be there. Paiute's golf courses are definitely top-notch and I will continue to go back despite my low opinion of their personnel. I try to always have an open mind about this (I work in a service industry, I get it!), and it just seems to gravitate to general shitty attitudes on their part.

And as far as the Giants thing, nobody is perfect. As long as the Dodgers continue to screw the pooch against the Cards in the playoffs, I kinda don't have any ammo to fight with. Those guys flat out have Kershaw's number.

GO ROYALS!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  20. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You definitely have a significant sample size with which to base your take on.
    It's been almost a year since my last Paiute visit, so I'll defer to your experience. Planning on going soon unless Reflection Bay does open up.
    If it does I'll be one very, very happy camper.
    Go Giants.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.