1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

sharing a cab?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Carole, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carole

Carole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just wondered...when you are traveling alone and standing in the cab line if you have ever asked anyone if they wanted to share a cab to the strip?

2. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't taken a cab alone...but if I were alone, I would ask the people near me. I'm frugal like that ;)

3. Tree DA

Tree DA High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thought about it but never have; have never seen anyone do it either, at least not that I recall.

4. BCMike

BCMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never shared a cab in Vegas. Maybe if I knew the people around me were going to the same hotel but wouldn't make much sense if they weren't. I'd rather just splurge the $13 to get to PH or where ever I'm going rather than thinking about finding someone to split it with. It would be cool if each hotel had their own shuttle that went directly from airport to hotel though. I don't take shuttles because of the inconvenience of stopping at other hotels before I get to mine.

5. LoveDowntownVegas

LoveDowntownVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. I've done both a cab (same hotel) and a limo (different hotels). the limos outside the airport are pretty much a flat rate. I took one look at the cabbie line and decided I wasn't waiting, so I headed to the limo, asked someone if they wanted to split the fare, and we took care of it on the spot.
    no issues either time.

6. polkarandy

polkarandy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only time we have split a cab is when we happened to run into a couple we knew (because we had seen them, didn't know who they were) were staying at the same place as we were (Bluegreen Club 36) and we were heading back in the late afternoon. Not really the same thing.....but it worked out great and saved us each a few bucks. The cabbie didn't seem too happy......but maybe that was his normal disposition.

7. ncfatcat

ncfatcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Too bad the cabbies have kept UBER out of Las Vegas

8. polkarandy

polkarandy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @ ncfatcat I was wondering if it was an option, but hadn't looked into it. Thanks for the info.....I won't waste my time now.

9. callahanha

callahanha Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had success on my solo trips while asking people in the cab line if they are staying at xxx if they want to share a cab. Guys are usually okay with it. Women usually won't

10. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did it once with a couple about my age (okay, that sounds dirty); we happened to be chatting in the taxi line, they mentioned they were going to Mandalay Bay too, and I asked if they wanted to just share a cab. I wound up paying for it anyway since I was in a good mood, though they offered to split it. Apparently they'd been taken the long way their last few trips, because they were amazed that the fare was only around $15.

11. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have arrived solo many times and have never done it and have never really thought about it.

12. Chobopuffs

Chobopuffs Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tried it once from Cosmopolitan to the airport.

13. Smallz23

Smallz23 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally. The limo is so worth it with a large enough group. Absolutely no wait time. What some ppl don't realize that it's just a few bucks more when you compare it to taking like 3 taxis to get your group to your destination. Some days the wait is just too ridiculous. Besides.. Vegas is not a place to be frugal. Even if you try.. You just can't.. Everything is overpriced.

14. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't know why the cabbie wouldn't have been too happy about it. Some other cab driver would have taken them. I just think it was either his normal disposition, or he was having a bad day.

15. Aces and Eights

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only split a cab once when going to the airport. On a Sunday morning that's where most people in a cab line are going. When coming from the airport to a hotel, everybody's going someplace different so I don't bother.

I try to be frugal by saving a few bucks by taking the shuttle and buying water from Walgreen's. A friend of mine reminds me that one of my bets is many times more than what I save in those things, and I can lose it in seconds. We both laugh at that.

16. Aces and Eights

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cab lines at the airport can be pretty quick since they load multiple cabs at the same time. If taking a cab from a CET property, Diamond Club members can go to a special line for taking cabs. I love being able to use this when there's a line at the cab stand.

17. Carole

Carole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies. I was just wondering because it seems like a such a waste with only 1 person in the cab. I am getting in early morning so line won't be too bad. My son, wife and 2 kids and baby get in at 930 on a Thursday night. (Oct 23). I think they should just go for the limo at that time of night with 3 kids that are running on empty and be ready for bed. Agree???

18. 1LuckyMomma

1LuckyMomma High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, get them a limo! A cab ride with small children is never a fun thing. We asked a couple in line near us when we heard them talking about the hotel we were headed to. Her husband wouldn't let me pay anything.

19. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've only done it once and was in the same situation. Was in the cab line at RIO and was going back to the strip. Got to talking to a guy going to Aria and he was more than happy to split a cab.

20. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have once or twice and both times i always gave a few extra $$$ more. Now I avoid cabs at all cost unless there are no other means of transportation available :beer:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.