1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Yup! My Wife's Sears Card Was Rung Up

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, May 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

A couple gift cards purchased in Cal.
    Chiptole's "Take Out " orders in Colorado.
    ( Hope they choked on it ! )
    I believe it was several hundred in total.
    I guess, you steal small so we might not have caught it, right away.
    My wife had to go over it and over it with the Sears operator....again + again.
    .......and then, the operator asks "Would you like another card ?"
    "No, thanks.....we'll pass at this time."
    I went over it w/ my wife = "Where did you use it ?.....let's look at the dates + places.
    See if we can find where/when/who compromised it ?"

2. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, was this a Sears Master Card? Sears kept sending my wife a Master Card and replace the regular Sears credit card, but she refused it.

3. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you think it was used online, take a look through this site and see if she used any of the websites mentioned - https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Unfortunately, this is becoming more common and is going to be more common until programmers take security seriously - unfortunately, most websites are run on a shoe string budget for IT and the programmers don't have the time or education to build secure websites / databases (or care). Even some of the big names on there (adobe, home depot, banks), IT is usually underfunded. We're a cost center (we spend money), not a generator in the traditional sense.

If she did use any site on that list, make sure she changes her password, ASAP. Websites will not necessarily notify their users of a security breach - even if they know about it. In the industry, this looks very bad, so they try to hide it as best as possible.

Something to note - even if you don't take a new card, I would still have them issue one with a NEW CC # - unless your positive they closed the CC and the # is no longer active, I'd rather have a new number and just cut up the card when it comes then to leave a bad CC number active and maybe it happens again.

If you think it was used in person - has she been to any shady gas stations? Corner stores? Mall kiosks or random not big business shops? CC skimmers are also starting to be more common and harder to detect. Hell - they have the nerve to place them on actual ATM machines in banks now a days...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am guessing (since the post is not clear) your card number was stolen and folks bought some stuff with it.

And, if so, why would you not get a replacement card?

And to the next poster, why not get the Sears Mastercard? I have had one for 15 years I think. It works way better than a sears card.

Color me confused.

5. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can't blame the Card Issuer. Unfortunately Credit Card fraud happens all the time.
    I had some large charges show up on my Chase SWA card which I brought to their attention.
    We went over the charges one by one over the phone and I ended up having a new card issued.
    It's a bit of a pain switching Card numbers but better in the long run. I still use it everyday.

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why not? 1) read post #1. 2) I just want a "store" card that's limited for use at that retailer. If I want another Visa or MC, I will get one of my choosing. It's similar to my bank wanting me to take an ATM card with the Visa logo so it can function as a Debit card. No thanks! See post #1.

Target pulled the same nonsense years ago, they forced cardholders to get a Target MasterCard. I cancelled my account and rarely go there anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I can't answer for sure - my wife is at work, now.....I can't call her.
    It was her card........good husband that I am -- I didn't even know she had one ?
    We did have some new flooring done ( still paying it off ) - thru Sears.

8. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a programmer in the card industry and the amount of fraud and attempted fraud is staggering. I see daily OFAC reports, these guys are relentless. And of course not all fraud shows up on these reports. One piece of advice, if your card doesn't have alerts (email or text, preferably text) then get another card. There are still some that don't have alert capabilities. Every card you have should send you a text within seconds of it being used. If you do keep a card without alerts check your transactions online daily. If the issuer doesn't catch a fraudulent transaction you can and get that card turned off asap.

ETA: OFAC is Office of Foreign Assets Control

• Like Like x 2
  9. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this Sears card isn't just a department store card?

10. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I appreciate some people want a card that is only good for that store. I don't see any reason for it, but some want it, then fine.

Of the 30 cards we have, only one is store card and that is because we get 5% discount on everything using it. (Lowes)

I want to only carry cards that I can use EVERYWHERE. I can not see any advantage to a card that is restricted to one store - am I missing something?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    30 cards? Yikes lol

12. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup

Most all of them to get sign up bonuses - usually 25-50K miles/points. We travel often, usually in biz or 1st class. If they have an annual fee, we do not renew them unless there is some perk of value to keep it. The IHG card is $45 a year, but we get a free hotel night each year for example.

13. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Store specific benefits / savings. We do the vast majority of our shopping on Amazon so we have an Amazon Prime Card (not the CC). Comes with free Prime (I think), 5% cash back, financing options on big orders, etc...

We obviously don't actually carry the card with us; but it's a line of credit not tied to Visa or MC or otherwise.

14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I drive my wife crazy, but we have 4 cards and it changes every quarter.

So Amex for groceries 6% cash back
    Chase Freedom-it rotates, but some quarters it's 5% cash back on gas and restaurants
    AARP Chase- 3% back on restaurants and gas.

It's a game I play.

Right now, I have stopped using the other cards and trying to earn companion status for another year with my SWA card. It's going to be tight. I've run through all the various levels of card sign up bonuses you can get.

15. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A simple "No" answer would have been sufficient, but ok. I don't have any kind of Sears card and was just wondering.

• Like Like x 1
  16. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sorry for the confusion Jeff....my response was not directed to your question. (I think one of the posters does have a sears specific card though)

17. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have read about this a bit but never picked it up. Help me understand how it works. I guess you just "charge" things to that card as you buy them online. How does that get paid off? Via checking account I guess?

Other than when we are trying to get the credit card signup bonuses, it seems like a no brainer since we do so much shopping at Amazon. Found this comparison of various Amazon "cards.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  18. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Sears card that just says Sears ,not visa or master card.

19. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From the bank account, yeah - like any other bill.

20. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This thread was bad luck... my wife's Macy's card was just compromised as well on 5/2. $600 in kids shoes ordered and partially sent to a Thai restaurant in Philly. Wish I could show up when the delivery was going to be made and go all vigilante on those f'kers...

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.