1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Your Go-To Vegas Buddy

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by andyg99, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andyg99

andyg99 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, we all have posted about those folks we avoid going to Vegas with, we've heard the stories of these folks who plead to come along (after hearing the fun stories) and then proceed to make us want to ship them back on the next flight out...

How about those people who make Vegas that much better? who is your go-to person?

For me it's my brother-in-law for the simple reason that he's the prefect side kick. He is not as Vegas crazy as I am but respects my obsession. We do most of the same stuff and don't mind drifting off by ourselves for the good part of the day if that's what we feel like doing. I have years of stories and I'm sure a ton more that I don't remember! For me the best trips have been with him or solo. He's part of my trip next month and after a 3 year absence by him I've been looking forward to this trip big time! about a month to go!!!!!

Vegas Trip #43!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. topcard

topcard Re-Open Vegas!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah... he's actually a member here...we've been meeting in Vegas every year for the past 28 years or so...problem is, he's only ever good for 1 trip per year.
    ...but same basic story as you & your brother-in-law... we're almost always on the same page, we always have a blast & our "inner 25-year-old" always makes several appearances every trip.

3. ken2v

ken2v That was awesome

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aside from my wife, the go-to would be the golf guys. In our nearly 25 years of a summer golf getaway, Vegas has been the most visited locale, though the PNW is now catching up. And we've gone up many other times together (in some number, we aren't a huge group) for trips that include golf but not the golf trip. Most of my peeps don't really gamble.

P.S. But they love Vegas.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  4. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had some bad trips (Vegas and elsewhere) over the years due to friends that are bad to travel with in general.

At this point, I pretty much only have 2 friends that I would go with, plus my husband. Both friends are easy going and have money to spend, which makes for a more enjoyable trip. I don't want to travel with someone who needs to see the prices on a menu before agreeing to dinner there or will avoid a fancy bar because they have $20 cocktails or just WATCH ME gamble because they don't have the money.

One of my friends is a table game player and I play slots and VP. We have no problem splitting up and playing our own games for awhile and meet up after a couple hours. I won't go to Vegas where I have to hold someone's hand the whole time or be their babysitter (even though I often need one myself. LOL).

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  5. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple of buddies from my squadron, in the Navy. It doesn't seem to happen too often anymore, but when it does, it's a lot of fun. Last year we had a mini-reunion, and about a dozen of us showed up. Haven't seen some of them in 30 years. All we did was sit around and reminisce, but I think it was the best trip I've ever had to Las Vegas.

6. carolineno

carolineno Balcony Brat

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i have a lot of ppl I like going to Vegas with, but I LOVE going with the middle child older brother (as opposed to the oldest older brother). for one, he gives me money if I hit a bad run lol, and his friends are super fun. They drive all over and gamble the hell out of Vegas. Ive discovered my very guilty pleasure is riding around downtown Vegas in a car drunk (sober driver of course) and I usually manage to do this at least once with these guys. I think my photography skills improve on these adventures! I will likely have to re-ingratiate myself with them next year as I left them waiting for my a$$ 2x - once at the airport and once I went to the wrong valet spot at Aria. What can I say, Vegas brain lol, not good with directions in Vegas, just need to stay at smaller properties!

“I love being purple!”
  7. NPLV

NPLV High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely my friend Rocky. We were fraternity pledge brothers and longtime roommates. His first time in Vegas was with me on a trip my parents sponsored a few years ago. Since then we’ve been a few more times together. Our last trip together in September was what really got me going on my current Vegas craze. We are going together next month and I am counting down the days!!!

8. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mom, Son & Hubs.
    Each person has a different style.
    Mom = lots of lyft/uber, coupon runs, slot machines & bingo, pool time, shopping & buffets. No alcohol. Loves Luxor & attached to Circus Circus Wants me to photo everything because she doesn't want to carry a camera herself.
    Son = all walking. trendy/new gourmet eats & cocktails. table games & vp. No buffets. Secret Pizza. Pinball Hall of Fame & esports arena. Lots of pool time. Loves Vdara and Cosmopolitan Lots of instagram
    Hubs = lovingly called cheap ba$tard. anything free or cheap. will walk but hates being hot or sweating. East side of strip because monorail. or downtown because cheap. says he hates gambling but once he starts he's Clark Griswold! Loves free rooms.
    Me = I just like going to Vegas or traveling in general! I'm ok walking everywhere. Food could be low or highbrow....just feed me if I'm hungry! Love drinks. Gambling=anything. I don't like it when others hover and don't gamble.

I would like to go with other people if they were ok meeting up for specific meals/shows events, but were ok exploring on their own the rest of the time.
    People that are ok NOT being with each other 24/7 and for pete's sake - no adjoining rooms. ugh.
    I don't mind planning the whole trip but hate when price suddenly becomes an issue. So.... people who CAN afford it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. weas

weas Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Vegas Deals

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My best Vegas buddy is also my best daughter(actually she is the only daughter.) We have had numerous mother-daughter trips, as well as many other trips with other family members and friends. She is a vegetarian but we always fine great places to eat. She loves to play slots, me too. I also play Bingo, Pai Gow and Black Jack. She is not really a show person but will go to something with me, I am not a 80's 90's rock fan but will stand out on Fremont Street and listen to the bands. We have a trip coming up together in late Sept. We also have to start planning our grand trip in July 2019 for her 50th and my 75th birthday.

56th Wedding Anniversary, Super Bingo and good eats
  10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For pleasure trips, several of my extended family are anywhere between a joy and a total riot to be in LV with. Those in the clan who don't like LV usually don't go. :) In my not so humble opinion, adjoining rooms can be a bit too close! Even trying to share one car can be a pain. I think I enjoy it most when we give each other some breathing room and don't try to all do the same things all of the time. I'm sometimes jokingly called "Social Director" on our holiday trips, since I can usually plan things that most everyone enjoys.

Now as for cow-orkers, business associates, clients, etc. I admit I try to keep some of them (no, not YOU, and I KNOW you're watching!) :) at somewhat of a distance. I'm more than happy to show a LV newbee around, but I don't like to be glued to an associate all the time, particularly when you are not on the same page for a lot of things. Entertaining a client in LV can be awkward. {sigh!} Being entertained by a vendor can be fun, but can also be awkward in a mixed-gender setting when you know the guys want to go off to a strip club (or "across the pass") and such. :) :) :)

11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Buffoons. They are a group of old time VMBers who started meeting up 2x a year in the mid 2000's. I was lucky enough to get in on one of their trips and never wanted to look back, other than to wonder what took me so long to meet up with them. For me, it's the perfect balance of traveling with people, but having plenty of time to do my own thing. Typically we meet up for dinner food somewhere in the evening and party until the wee hours, full of shenanigans and buffoonery that leaves your face hurting from all the laughing and sometimes mystery bruises that nobody can seem to remember how they happened. :drunk: I have my favorites from the group, but I'll never tell. :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Geogran

Geogran Whooo. Whooo.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My DH when it's just the two of us.

With our best friends, a couple we have known for years - totally simpatico but not joined at the hip - easy going, agreeable, laugh our butts off together over anything and everything. The ladies are slot slugs and the guys do guy stuff - sports, exercise, eat, sleep and carry emergency money for the ladies.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My bride. :kiss:
    My imaginary friend Raul is my back-up! :D

RICHARD

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mrs. Johnny. Great Vegas running buddy and really smart and good looking too. A side benefit is that people always think better of me when I'm with her.

My fantasy running buddies would be Bill Murray and Helen Mirren. That's the fact, Jack.

15. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My two sisters. First trip I was going to go solo and one sister wanted to come along. We both fell in love w/Vegas and returned repeatedly until the third trip where my other sister wanted to come with us and SHE fell in love w/Vegas. So now that's what we do every year - the three of us go to Vegas. We have our routine down as far as traveling (window seats for all) and activities (Thunder From Down Under). Of course there are differences like where to eat or what to eat, but it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.