1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Your dream buffet (or whatever buffet)

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by C0usineddie, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like going to buffets but they always seem to be basically the same.

What would you want on a buffet if you were calling the shots?

!- Beef jerky- they certainly have loads of left over meat so why dont we ever see jerky. Most people like it. they could make a bunch of different flavors and such for the price of the stuff they are throwing away. i make it all the time out of pork chops, ham, spam, bologna, you name it.

2- Velveeta lasagna- an old favorite my mom made. lasagna with burger, spaghetti sauce and velveeta instead if that fancy ricotta stuff.

3- Jelly belly station- goes without saying.

4- Thriftys ice cream station- Love me some Thriftys ice cream, can get some cherry vanilla and maybe to be fancy, a small waffle cone.

5- Mac and cheese- seems like you can get this anywhere but not the kraft kind. Not some lobster or truffle stuff but good old moms type mac and cheese, hell, lets be fancy and go shells and cheese!! why not, its vegas.

6- Hot dogs- never seen them in a buffet. This is where we can splurge of fancy topping like guac and bacon and what not. everyone loves hot dogs.

Lets hear your ideas.

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you just described most Golden Corrals or any buffet you might find at home.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

Don't get cheap on me!

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would do the various ethnic stations, including American, but hire people who know how to prepare basic dishes well.

I would also have them rotate the selections, and not on an "If it's veal parm it must be Monday" type of thing!

I would not try such things as commercial-grade prime rib, top sirloin, or cow tender. A better grade steamship round or (yum!) brisket would be good for a carving station. If you want steak, go to the steakhouse!

Some basic rotating seafood selections. No cull-grade lob-stah or crab legs. If you want fresh seafood, go to a fish house! (Or Long John Silver!) {ducking} :)

No foo-foo. If you want Continental, go to Pamplemousse! :) Don't try to be all things!

Breakfast! Eggs and omelets to order. {f-bomb} those vile steamtable scrambled eggs! They are simple to do but very few buffets seem to be able to do them well! And, have some of the staff double as egg chefs when the demand is high. Kinda like where the supermarket opens more registers when the lines grow to 3 deep. Crepe/pancake/french toast station as well.

Forgot about desserts. Hey, if your guests have room for dessert, something is wrong! :)

And ... find a way to give the leftovers to shelters and such. That hog farm in NLV has more than enough! :)

Serve drinks, but allow self-service as well.

And {vbfg} AYCD beer/wine. :)

5. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sushi and sashimi.... oh yeah all Spanish Tappas would be perfect.

6. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would like to see a pre-buffet, a welcome to the culinary smorgasbord one's taste buds are about to experience in the buffet.

It would be an experience/opportunity for those in the winding, serpentine line waiting to enter the regular buffet, featuring appetizers :feedme: (deep fried pickles, Alpert family secret recipe quesadilla, etc.) and :beer: beverages galore!

While serving these items, staff can ask guests if they have any requests for the regular buffet. The top-notch kitchen of master chefs can work on designing dishes to fill these requests during the time the customer is in line.

I believe this would be a great morale booster for those in line. Especially if they get to partake in more ale. :drunk:

And if a large fraction of folks step out of line after partaking in some free apps and booze and skip the regular buffet altogether, the happier the folks behind may be as they can then move up in line to enter the regular buffet! :D

Now as to what's in the regular buffet when you get in there, that's another story!

RICHARD

7. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My ideal buffet will always have the following:

Shellfish: clams, mussels, oysters, shrimp, crab.

Meats: Steaks, Pork Chops, and Fried Chicken.

Vegetables: Grilled Zucchini, Mushrooms, Bell Peppers, Tomatoes.

Fish: Deep Fried Snapper and various Sashimi, red (ahi) white (swordfish, snapper) and Octopus.

Soups: Vegetable, seafood chowders, beef bone soup.

Desserts: Ice Cream (Rocky Road, Vanilla)

8. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For a true buffet, it would basically be this place (although in a perfect world I would add some plated dishes a la Bacchanal);

http://www.nordiclodge.com

9. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief bottle washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would absolutely destroy this buffet

10. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would like to see a set up similar to Fire and Ice, a giant round flat top grill, 20 cooks, you pick your ingredients and put them in a bowl and they stir fry it up take 3-5 min

11. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    White Macademia Pancakes with warm coconut syrup. Best thing to put in your mouth.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.