1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Would You Go To Vegas Alone on NYE?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by johnvic, Dec 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have worked NYE for a TV show for about 10 years now. If I didn't work it I would have nothing to do. My boss has been acting strange lately and I'm getting paranoid that he wants to make me unnecessary in case the network needs to cut a head. He has been saying things to others about swapping my position out, etc. So he may decide to work NYE and have me not be there. So what to do? I'm single, friends have families or moved or both. I do have a female friend I used to date and if this happens, then I could ask her out. It wouldn't be bad hanging out with a pretty woman even if she is just a friend. But let's say she's busy and I can afford to go to Vegas over that weekend.

How depressing is NYE in Vegas alone? I did Christmas in Vegas alone and it was fine, met a friend for dinner who lives there and did a VMB meetup. But NYE is such a party that I've avoided for 10 years.

2. duffer1991

duffer1991 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have traveled to Las Vegas solo many times. If you are outgoing and easily make friends like I do, it should be a great time. I would go downtown to Fremont Street and enjoy the mayhem.

The last time I was there alone, I met some cowboys at the Golden Gate shooting craps. They were there for a rodeo competition. We all won money and got on like old friends. We then went to get dinner together (about 8 of us) and drank all night.

Go alone, eat when you want, drink what and when you want, and make some new friends -- or enjoy watching the people. If it is not for you, gamble and eat and sleep well :)

3. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are going for NYE then it could be depressing. If you are going to Vegas and it happens to be NYE then it could be fun. Either way fill us in.

Halloween vs Solidified-ween. What?
    NFL Wild Card--
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. vegas superfan

vegas superfan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have done NYE solo several times. Twice I stood on the strip and watched the fireworks. Last year I stayed in my room watching Netflix. Whether it is depressing is up to you. I go to Vegas mostly to gamble and I don't need another person with me to do that.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would and I would think it wouldn't be hard to blend right in with people and together have a fun time.{drinking helps}

6. Chief Ski

Chief Ski Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you enjoy a solo trip any other time, I imagine NYE would be just as enjoyable if not better. Awsome people watching. I've only been for one NYE. Some kind of Las Vegas anniversary year and they had a pretty cool laser show from all of the strip roof tops.

7. runningonthehub

runningonthehub High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do not have any desire to go to Vegas for NYE. But I have been many, many times solo. So, going solo for NYE for me would be no big deal. With all of the festivities going on, it would be easy to blend in and enjoy myself. It is what you make it.
    If you go there with a sorry ass attitude, you will probably have a sorry ass time. It is up to you to make it work.
    What is the purpose of going for NYE if you are not going to try to have fun?

8. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been enjoying Vegas between Christmas Night and January 1st or 2nd for years. DBeuler has typically joined me Christmas night but has generally departed on the 30th, so I am solo from the time she leaves until just after the first of the year. Without fail I have had a blast each trip, with her for the first part and solo for the second part. I agree it is what you make it and all about your attitude. Embrace it!

9. FYMYAWF

FYMYAWF It's not a bender, it's a lifestyle.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of all my trips only a couple have NOT been solo, so the solo part wouldn't bother me, but the NYE part would. Not my crowd.

10. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've gone to Vegas with others for NYE but due to booze and transient gambling I was essentially by myself for 80% of the time. I truly think you will be fine and you will have a blast. Now don't get me wrong, it's better with a close friend, but it can a pretty darn good time by yourself as well.

PHO and Madonna. A Winning Combo.
  11. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I would. But would prefer not to due to lots of crowds. The places to dine would be harder to get to comfortably and being a low roller, the table games get bumped up to higher minimums.

NYE wouldn't be on the top of the list to go but I wouldn't turn down any chance to go to Vegas.

12. BillDonovan

BillDonovan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The key to life is to be comfortable in your own skin, no matter what day it is.

13. ken2v

ken2v Wish I was in Bend

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas sucks on NYE. It's probably the one time when it is worse to be solo.

Go to Hawaii. The Carib. Jackson Hole.

14. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's all about where you are with your life and psyche. I'm happily married and if I found myself in Vegas alone on NYE, I'd be fine with it. But if I was single, and alone on NYE in Vegas, I'd be depressed. Even though I'm a bit of a loner, having no one to kiss at midnight would make me sad.

15. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As of now I have three nights comped during NYE w Bruno Mars tix but thinking I'm gonna cancel it due to wifecan not go :bang: never been there during NYE time would love to but phew this sucks

16. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First off, I am so sorry for the stress on your job. I really, really hope it all works out, and no matter what happens, you've built a successful career in one of THE toughest cities to make it...whatever happens, you'll come out on top yet again, I have no doubt!

On Vegas being depressing solo, I think it depends on how much YOU like doing things solo. Years ago before hubby, I had to go to a wedding in San Diego. I figured what he heck, if I am down there anyways, I am going to Disneyland! I took myself solo to Disneyland, and it was THE BEST TRIP EVER. (Despite my coworker assuring me I'd be depressed and sad. Nope!)

Vegas is VERY solo-friendly, but it's going to depend on how much you enjoy solo. If you don't like solo as much, I'd definitely avoid, as you WILL see way more groups/couples. If you're comfortable solo though, I'd say go for it! Now, like others, NYE has never been a time I've wanted to go to Vegas, just because it's too crazy on costs, crowds, etc. I think it would be the ONLY time Vegas might annoy me. :)

Ken had a good point on Hawaii too. I'd say whether Vegas, Hawaii, wherever, a vacation might be just what the doctor ordered.

First time in Tahoe!!!
    Mother-Daughter trip-Tower Suite (roll away for me!)
  17. PsyDoc

PsyDoc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would definitely go to Vegas alone on NYE. It may even be a good opportunity to meet new people there and make new friends. And I think Las Vegas is a better place to go solo than Hawaii. I can't imagine lying on the beach on Maui all alone....

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    My Annual Vegas Trip
  18. ken2v

ken2v Wish I was in Bend

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've made so many solo trips to Vegas -- scores in my 100+ visits. Solo in Vegas is fine. It is an easy place to solo. (Then again, I travel all over solo ... and in groups ... and with my wife. I've probably done Hawai'i solo five or six times.) NYE in Vegas is a shitstorm of training-wheel antics and the joint is essentially SRO. I just don't see it as a salve for a single. Not that particular time. I'm suggesting that it's a big big world out there. To the OP -- you certainly deserve a treat and a break. Lotta places to do that.

19. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree Ken. Being solo in Vegas during NYE is the last thing I need. While I've enjoyed many solo trips over the years and even have free room offers, memories from happier times have haunted me during my last five visits. Yeah, I've heard the Pollyannaish "maintain a positive outlook" advice, but that doesn't consider individual circumstances and realities. Unless a couple platonic friends who are talking about going get with the program, I'll probably end up solo again in January.

Annual Halloween trip and son's baptism of fire! Orleans & Gold Coast
  20. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks to all. I don't mind going to Vegas solo, although I prefer half solo, half friends. But I think the insanity of NYE will probably be too much. If BS happens at work I think that my first choice will be ask out the woman I used to date who is a friend now, assuming she's single, which I think she is. After that it would probably be see who's free or just go to the corner pub. Now if I could get the woman to go to Vegas it could be interesting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.