1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wolf Creek Golf Course in Mesquite

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Fafa2e, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fafa2e

Fafa2e High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone driven out to Mesquite to play the Wolf Creek Golf Course recently? I just read a recent review on TripAdvisor that was very critical of the course conditions, particularly the greens.

I was planning to play out there this Friday. Is it worth the drive? Should I wait for another trip when the course is in better condition?

My Longest Trip Ever
  2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I typically advise people to call courses and inquire, but over the years Wolf Creek has proven -- despite having an A+ course -- not to give one rip about customer service, so I'd not be inclined to trust the answer. You might want to check with Golf Mesquite, though Wolf Creek does not participate with the consortium, or more likely the "golf concierge" at Eureka Hotel.

Or instead go to Coyote Springs, play an equally awesome course -- if not as visually stimulating -- and save some time and a few bucks. And you can call those guys and ask, point blank, "How is it playing?"

3. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I played Coyote Springs in late December and highly recommend it - my favorite course in the whole Vegas area.

As far as Wolf Creek goes, I didn't play it, however, talked to the manager of Coyote Springs and he mentioned that Wolf Creek lost their irrigation for a week during the heat of summer, and lost all their greens.

They had to remake all the greens and they are incredibly slow and rough. (resodding - they can't cut them low at all).

With that said, I'd stay away - you may want to try Conestoga (in Mesquite) - some great rates on golfnow.com and some really good holes on the front nine - worth a trip.

4. Fafa2e

Fafa2e High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info. It sounds like Wolf Creek has been resting on their laurels, and competing courses in Mesquite may offer a similar experience with better conditions at a lower price.

I may try Coyote Springs or Conestega instead. I still want to play Wolf Creek, but I will try to wait until they get their course back in better condition.

My Longest Trip Ever
  5. Boone

Boone Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken is spot on as usual when recommending Coyote Springs... But when I played Wolf Creek I was blown away (it has been 4 or 5 years though) Coyote will impress you so no need in driving to Mesquite unless you are going to be there anyway.

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From a topographical sense Conestoga is Wolf Creek Lite. But it's run by Troon Golf so you get great service and positive attitudes, two things that aren't even extinct at Wolf Creek since they never existed in the first place. Fun fun course. It's the best playing option in Mesquite for those who manage or want to drive a bit farther than Coyote.

7. Fafa2e

Fafa2e High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the info Ken and Boone. I am looking for a course with dramatic elevation changes for a change of pace from the courses I am used to in South Florida (i.e. Flat.) Despite my better judgement and your advice, I'm still leaning towards Wolf Creek because of the wow factor. Since I am traveling solo, I am not going to book any tee times until the day before or maybe even the morning of my round.

I was planning to knock off the two "Wolfs", Wolf Creek and the Wolf course at Paiute this weekend, one on Friday and one on Saturday; however, Saturday is forecast to be windy, more so in Vegas than Mesquite, and I'm sure that both of the "Wolfs" howl in windy conditions.

I will post a trip report after the trip and let you know what I ended up doing and how the rounds went.

My Longest Trip Ever
  8. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That pains me to hear Wolf Creek is not in good shape.

I have taken my golf group there twice. A total of 22 of my friends have played it with me. To a man, they all say, that Wolf Creek is the most dramatic golf course they have played. And those 22 avid golfers have played a LOT of different courses across the country.

I tell people that every hole is a signature hole for other courses. But it would not be enjoyable if the greens were not running well.

We played Las Vegas TPC last year a week after they punched the greens. It was fun......but. So I would say Wolf Creek would be the same thing. TPC discounted for us though.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is NO denying the topography at Wolf Creek. As I wrote in the book: "Wolf Creek Golf Club is best described as a course placed within the Grand Canyon with Pink Floyd heading the design team. Seriously. If grass could grow on the Moon, dark side or other, you'd have Wolf Creek. ..."

Wind? At Paiute? Get out. lol First time I played Wolf I nearly drove one. You might say it was downwind. Coming back in I played one of the 4s driver/fairway/5i or some such combo. Wowza.

10. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a Paiute story.

We were gathering outside Monte Carlo. The wind was blowing like crazy. Little tornadoes of trash rising up, things zooming past in the wind. The doorman came over, holding his hat on with his hand so it wouldn't blow away, and asked us where we were playing today. "Paiute" we say.

The doorman says, "Oh. It will REALLY be blowing out there."

:evillaugh

11. dooner

dooner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

A BIG factor in whether I enjoy my round is green conditions. Wolf Creek definitely has that 'wow' factor. I've only played it once, in perfect conditions, and, not knowing the trouble, shot a smooth 72 (not from tips, however). As a 3 handicap, I was very pleased - never missed a fairway (even some that have landing areas of 5 yards) - always used a driver off tee (pure luck to hit some spots). I guarantee I'd be over 85 if I knew all the places I was supposed to lay up too!!!!

With that said, I have not repeated the visit (even though Coyote Springs x3, Conestoga x2). With high prices and poor service, and, now, with poor conditions, I'd still be out for awhile.

I loved the Paiute courses (would definitely return - I loved the variety of shots that you can play around the green - many choices, from a bump-n-run to floppers).

I highly recommend booking last minute with an online golf discounter (golfnow, etc.). I've had much success golfing solo by booking first thing in the morning for a noon hour tee time. That way you can check weather first of all.

Have fun whatever you do - it's still golf - Yeah!!!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.