1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Windows 7

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by runningonthehub, Nov 10, 2019 at 2:12 PM.

1. runningonthehub

runningonthehub High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How many of you are still using Windows 7 and what do you plan to do when Microsoft stops supports for Windows 7 in January?

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My desktop at home is still win7 (laptop and work computers are win10) I HATE win10 and am devastated. But eventually I'll get a new desktop with win10.....(programs are already having loads of problems, so I know I'll have to upgrade - clearly it's OLD - but I love it so....) I've been keeping my eye on Costco but it's almost always laptops ...

3. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife loved Win 7 and kept it until she got a new laptop. Then I had to save some games from the Win 7 days as she hates the games on Win 10.
    Some updates wipe them out but I reinstall them. Other than that no real problems.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm hoping I can load my old quicken on the new win10 - I refuse to switch over to the annual subscription/fleecing model. I've gone back to manual budgeting but husband uses printed checks so I'd have to find something to use for that anyway. Unless I revamp our budgeting totally again. It's been a few years. That might be fun

5. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Went with 10 a few years back. Running Microsoft 19 suite, which has a lot of nice features. I did not opt for the subscription rendition, but I think that's the wave of the future. We still have Windows 7 on the office computers, but we're getting new IT infrastructure this calendar year across the board, so I'm betting that ends 7.

6. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    last pc was 7, this "Newer" one is windows 8.1...I refuse to get windows 10.

7. jack v

jack v Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still use 7, I dont think I've updated in in years anyway, I have updates turned off.

8. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I completely skipped 7. Went from XP Pro on a PC I built myself years ago (during XP's prime) to 10 Pro. Kept the old PC running until early this when when the motherboard died. I intended to rebuild it but found a refurbed small form factor HP at a local computer store for $250 (couldn't rebuild for that price). Win 10 Pro with all the 3rd party software I was using on the old PC already loaded on it. I had no objections to giving Win 10 a try. A bit of a learning curve, but it is stable. Even got all my old games running on it (except for one I don't have the original disk for). The one thing I could not move over was my old flatbed scanner. Its SCSI card won't fit in the HP case (too tall). I don't think Win 10 supports SCSI anyway (obsolete interface).

9. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still on 7, both at home and at work.
    I will stay until it won't work.
    I'll have to be dragged kicking & screaming to win10.

Booked! El-Co on December 3rd!
  10. tallsamoan

tallsamoan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    W10 was a pain when it was launched, specially when migrating from 7, but it has since improved quite a bit that I don't mind it anymore.

11. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a netbook with windows 7 on it. I take that one with me when I travel. I turned off updates long ago so I don't care if they stop supporting win 7. I have the win 7 OS disks and regularly backup my data so I can just reload if I have problems.

I have a newer (17") laptop (2 years old) with windows 10 on it but I basically use that laptop to read emails and access the internet. I also use it to store photos and data. I tried to remove all the software on it but they keep trying to load stuff on it. I loaded winpatrol on it and am rejecting any changes that pop up but some stuff still gets loaded. I considered loading windows 7 on it but since I only use it for internet and data storage I figure no sense and just keep windows 10 on it.

And I still have my old work desktop that is win xp. Work was going to trash the desktop so I just took it home. I use it to burn my dvd's (movies and photos).

I also use an old version of word and excel and use the win 7 and xp machine to work on them. I don't have office or anything on the win 10 laptop, they want me to pay to get office so I just use my old word and excel on the other laptops. I still have some games on my old machines, can't load them on the windows 10 machine.

Hoya, be aware that a lot of software that works on older windows can't be reloaded on windows 10 machines. That's why I still keep the older windows machines.

12. SMG

SMG High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At home, I switched over to Windows 10 when it first came out, so Windows 7 is history. I worked with pretty much all of the past versions of Windows at one time or another, either at home or when I was still working. I currently have an Alienware m15 gaming laptop that I mainly use for PCVR with an Oculus Rift which is only supported under Windows 10. Although, I prefer using a Mac for everything else.

13. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Am aware. But I'll go back to handwriting checks before I pay a subscription fee to quicken.

I get Office 365 through work and can use it on my laptop. But for stuff I share with my husband, we use google docs and it's fine (nothing private or sensitive - mostly vacation planning)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. wormhole

wormhole VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I came late to Win 10, so I missed all the launch headaches. Teh refurb HP I bought has Open Office on it, a free Office clone. I was expecting trouble with the old games I play, but they loaded and ran fine. The only issue was a Windows 10 update that forced me to switch the oldest one to run in compatibility mode and a window instead of full screen. That game was released in 1999, i think. I was still running Win 98 when I got it.

15. Foos

Foos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Time For a week in Vegas before Costa Rica!
  16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a desktop computer that still runs Windows 7. I have another desktop and my laptop that are both Windows 10. I have a program that does not run on Windows 10 and I have not found a reasonable replacement for it yet. I literally only boot the old desktop to run that program when I need it.

Dan says he's going to set up my next computer to boot Windows 7 and run that program for me on a partition or separate drive. He doesn't try to convince me to find something new, because he remembers having to drag me kicking and screaming off of Compuserve and onto that new fangled World Wide Web thingie in the 1990's. :haha:

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am waiting for you Sonya to tell us about your IBM 360 and the 88 cards. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are they actually going to stop supporting it or will this be like XP where they kept trying to stop supporting it but too many companies were using it that they kept the support going for about 6-7 years after it was supposed to expire?

2nd Solo Trip in 2019
  19. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nah, that's a little before my time. I did build my own 8086 once. And I will tell you about the time I laughed at my boyfriend for insisting we buy the 40 mb hard drive. "HA HA HA 40 mb!? Who is ever going to need that much data storage?"

:( I'm the oldest person in the world.:cry:

20. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now that I finally have some time to sit and surf and think and type and such, I can answer this one.

I'm surprised that I am actually becoming a semi technogeek, but still, I'm not terribly confident messing around with PCs, either configuring and such or adding boards and the like. I'm still quite concerned about messing something up that will require hours if not days of work to recover.

My "Multimedia" PC, meaning the one I use to scan negatives, edit photos, and print photos, is (still) on Windows 7. This was a custom (yeah, right) PC back in 2015. It replaced my old "Multimedia" PC which ran on Windows XP, out of support, until it crashed and finally died hard. It was a MAJOR PAIN getting the scanners and the big Canon photo printer all working right on the new machine.

Same thing as I did on the old one. Use it until it dies. I can do about everything on it that I need without it being plugged into the network, so I'm not terribly concerned about some script kiddie (a pejorative for wannabe-hacker that I picked up at Defcon) hacking in and such. I only plug it in when I need to transfer to and from something on the net.

When it dies, I plan to go full-Microsoft-Free with a new Multimedia PC on Linux-Ubuntu. All of the hardcore geekoids I've talked to tell me that both of my scanners and the big printer will run properly on Linux-Ubuntu.

I'm stuck using it at work, unfortunately. To say that it sucks is to compliment it! They actually tried to help me out and "downgrade" my new(er) work laptop to Windows 7 but for some reason it would not run properly on the new machine so they reloaded Windows 10, which is slow and sloppy!

My new(er) home desk PC is totally Microsoft-Free running Linux-Ubuntu and the guys who built it for me installed Libre Office, which does almost everything that Microsoft Office does but it's totally free and no strings attached.

My (personal) netbook runs Windows 8 (not as sucky as Win 10 but still sucks) and came with a lobotomized version of Microsoft Office but I installed, with very little help, actually, Libre Office and it runs fine and is quicker than Microsoft Office.

Yeah, uh, but will it actually make it run faster and suck less?

Congratulations! :)

I've actually helped build a few PCs now, with help and supervision, of course. I'm becoming more and more confident, but I'm not quite ready to totally build and configure one totally from scratch.