1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Will Pepper Spray pass TSA??

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by DOUBLE B, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DOUBLE B

DOUBLE B Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will the small cigar size pepper spray canister pass thru TSA? The one I have is black and about the size of a cigar---I wonder if it falls under the 3.5 oz rule and/or if it is just not permitted period. Thanks for any info.......

2. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sony is right. Its not a matter of size. You just can't carry that stuff on board

I Need Spa
  4. VPDana

VPDana High-Roller

I live in the Midwest, St. Louis, MO to be exact.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Duh! was my first thought to the post. But, it is our Government and one never knows.

5. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First of all no it will not and if you try and get caught you may be denied boarding via being denied entry through security...this actually happened in Cleveland to the women in front of me in the security line. TSA has this neat website also http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items. I don't want to sound snarky but it amazes me that people will trust the opinion of folks on the internet versus looking up themselves. Especially with such a serious question like this....Mr. TSA agent sorry but someone on VMB said I could carry this onboard....:poke:

6. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dunno man VMB has more intelligent people than those on a .gov website.

7. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You speak the truth, dfalk!

Of course, you could probably say the same thing about a TMZ-based message board. :rolleyes2:

8. joaks

joaks desert tortoise

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a late reply, but may be informative for someone in the future.

From the tsa website:
    "Self Defense Sprays - One 4 ounce (118ml) container of mace or pepper spray is permitted in checked baggage provided it is equipped with a safety mechanism to prevent accidental discharge. Self Defense Sprays containing more than 2% by mass of Tear Gas (CS or CN) are prohibited in Checked Baggage. For more information visit www.faa.gov., click on Passengers, then Preparing to Fly."

We hike a lot of places we travel to, so I always have a small container of mace or "bear spray". I just always put it in my checked luggage. Had my checked bags searched twice and it's never been an issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.