1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wifi on airplane (Delta), worth it?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Ty, Nov 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Delta is offering wifi for $14 each way, and I can buy just one leg of the flight.

Our flight to Vegas is 4.5 hours so I'm thinking about getting it. I'm concerned about the quality/speed.

Have you ever used wifi on a flight? How was it? Do you pay for it?

2. joshcox19

joshcox19 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It works and its consistent, but don't expect fantastic speeds. Personally I spent a ton of time on the internet every day and to me it still isn't worth paying for.

3. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have used wifi before on longer flights to Vegas, but it was when they were doing sponsored "trials" to get the word out about their products. I thought it was nice to be connected, but not really necessary. A lot of people complain that it is slow or glitchy, but I didn't have that problem, however, I was only surfing text based sites and not trying to stream anything. I think it would be terrible for that.

Now I'm much more interested in sleeping on the plane than playing online, but most of my flights are very early or very late. If I was on a mid-day flight I would certainly be tempted. In the end, only you can determine if the price of entertainment is worth it to you.

4. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never used WiFi on a flight and don't think I ever would.

It just seems too expensive for the time you get and then you have to consider that you can't use it for the first 30 minutes of the flight and the last 30 minutes.

Beyond that, I just can't think of what I would need internet for so badly and why I couldn't go a couple of hours without it? If its for entertainment I can just install some game on my phone or tablet before I leave, if its to watch something I can download TV shows or movies off the internet before I leave, if its to check status on facebook or post a tweet I doubt there is anybody out there hanging on my (or somebody else's) every word so badly that they can't wait a couple of hours...

5. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't done it on Delta, but pretty much all airlines use the same technology, and in general the speeds are not that great. It's fine for dicking around on email or Facebook, but you're not going to be able to watch movies (and I think most of them block sites like Netflix anyway), play games, or do much of anything that requires serious bandwidth. I'll occasionally get it because I'm an email addict and I like being able to chat with my friends during a long flight, but that's about all it's good for.

6. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll do it occasionally. Usually just to research games that I'll probably forget to bet on during the flight out. Or to catch up on news I've missed on the flight back. So I really can't comment on speed. Though, my brother-in-law said he caught a football game that was mostly watchable last year.

7. sweetcanadian

sweetcanadian High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this x 10. i couldn't imagine ever being in a situation where i would want to spend $14 for 3 hours worth of internet. I watch movies. That being said the flights i am on have tvs. Westjet & Air Canada have tvs with satelite channels and there are movies for purchase as well if you want.

I have only flown delta once but i would put a movie on my phone or something before paying the price.

8. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use it when I fly from west to east coast or vice versa. There is generally no personal in-flight entertainment on domestic flights and browsing wikipedia, surfing facebook or even using this forum are a quick way to kill the flight time. It won't help you this time, but I tend to buy a few one day passes whenever http://www.gogoair.com/ have a sale on for $9.95 for a day pass. You can redeem them in the future on the plane.

It is nowhere near fast enough for video chat and services like netflix are banned, but for 10 or 14 bucks it's a cheap way of making your flight seem shorter in my opinion.

9. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Delta airlines

Most of the Delta planes have your own private t.v. in front of your seat. You can pay a fee to see a movie or just watch whatever is available. It is fun for me to
    see what location the plane is as it moves from states to states.

The last 30minutes of the flight can have turbalance due to the Vegas winds. The winds sometimes rock the plane sideways. It is also a good time to use the restroom and get ready to get off the plane. Plus you get to see the beautiful view of the
    mountains and the city of Vegas.

Southwest only charged me $8. to use my computer. My grandson used his computer to keep his mind busy while we flew from Atlanta to Los Angeles.

My advise is that if you feel you want to have your computer with you....then
    take it with you. You will get free wifi at your hotel because the resort fees pays
    for the use of wifi. Remember to ask for the wifi code. It is so much fun having
    my computer with me while I am watching t.v. and using my computer in my hotel room. Pay the $14. for the flight to Vegas. It will keep your mind busy. Lucy

10. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On my last Delta flight it was free to connect and surf eBay. I couldn't see paying their ridiculous fee. I checked out eBay and then played video poker on the headrest. All made for a quick flight to Jamaica.

11. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the 15 or so Delta flights I have taken over the last few years I have only ever seen private TV's on transatlantic flights and sometimes in first class on internal US flights.

Maybe your route has been upgraded?

12. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    14 bucks for several hours wifi on a relatively new technology is hardly ridiculous...

13. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was three hours from Atlanta to Jamaica. They also tell you its cut off as soon as you get over international water. I guess I should clarify ridiculous is my opinion and others may differ. I thought that was assumed though, when spending our own money we also get our own opinion.

I have had the TV's in the headrests on Delta planes that flew from CMH to LAX and on all international travel.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.