1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Why flight attendants don't want to help stow your luggage

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by booker, Sep 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. westexrancher

westexrancher Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can tell you from personal experience this is bull shit. I owned an Industrial construction company and operated jobsites in many states. On almost every job I would have at least 1 person injured in the parking lot before clocking in or after clocking out ,100% covered by work comp.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  2. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did a little Google search and I think it may (or may not) be up to specific carrier.

See #2.
    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/things-a-flight-attendant-cant-do-for-you-so-104095412979.html

From Travel + Leisure, September 26, 2019

In a recent interview with Inside Edition, flight attendant Jamela Hardwick spilled the tea on a few secrets you may want to know about. But, the biggest one is the fact that flight attendants don’t technically begin a paid shift until the boarding door closes. And that means, if they help you lift your bag and are injured in the process they may be out of luck.…

“We do not get paid until the boarding door is closed,” she explained. “If we get hurt while putting that bag in the overhead bin, we do not get to write it off as an on-job injury.”
    While this may seem bonkers it’s actually been this way for a long time. As Travel + Leisure previously explained, it’s all due to the Railway Labor Act, which passed in 1926 and was last amended in 1936 to include airlines. The act outlines the rules for bargaining between unions and management. It essentially prohibits unions or management from making any changes in the status quo without consent from the board.

I'm of the opinion, unless you are pregnant, elderly, short, or infirm, if you can tote your bag to from residence to the airport, through TSA, you should be able to lift it into the overhead bin. I've helped numerous folks with theirs, I've also had a very heavy bag drop and hit my head while a guy was trying to stow it.

3. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Especially given that, if there's an airline you often travel with, you can spend less than $100 and get a card that more than takes care of your checked bag fees.

I, for one, always check a bag and just head to the gate with my usual messenger bag (which only has my laptops in it). Makes things much less stressful.

That said, I only get bothered when people are entitled about it. A few weeks ago, I was on a flight right after hurting my back pretty badly. There was an elderly woman who could not lift her bag up, and started completely berating me when she asked for help and I said I couldn't. We should all help when we can, but it shouldn't be an expectation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  4. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rarely use the overhead bins, since I usually carry a medium size backpack that easily fits under the seat and 1 checkin bag. They also sell roller carryon bags that are designed to fit under airline seats. If a person can't lift the weight of a packed conventional carryon, they should consider using the under the seat bags instead and stash their light weight personal bag in the overhead bin if they have one.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As far as it being covered by Workers comp it may not be that easy. I’m speaking from personal experience as a supervisor and being in direct contact with an employee health nurse regarding injuries on the job. If you are going about normal activities i.e. walking bending stooping etc. it is not considered an on the job injury and not covered by workers comp.

For instance walking down the hall and your ankle just gives out - normal daily activities not an on the job injury regardless if you are on the clock or not. Walking down the hall and you slip on a Wet floor then yes an on the job injury.

So things can get murky with employers.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  6. Iratus

Iratus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’d probably be thrown off the plane with what I’d have said to her if she did that to me. Don’t care you’re old, female, yellow spotted gazelle, don’t be a dick. Gosh I can’t stand entitled people, it’s like when young people open a door open a door and old people just swan through without acknowledging them. Drives me nuts.

The world needs a bit more common courtesy, as it’s increasingly uncommon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. AbFab

AbFab Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

I saw a video on yahoo last, which literally had a flight attendant say what I typed.

8. zolar31

zolar31 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Theres a saying in the bizness. You pack it. You stack it.

9. Syringe Monkey

Syringe Monkey Hero of the Baggage Carousel...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow... where’d they park, Jerry’s Nugget??

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. MCann

MCann VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That runs afoul of FLSA in the US. They may receive a different rate of pay or have a collective bargaining agreement dictating that compensation is based on flight hours only, but there is ample case law regarding the application of FLSA and compensable time. During boarding, flight attendants are in uniform of the airline, in a position of authority without which it is unlawful for the airline to board the plane, and conducting multiple primary job functions during that period. This is time worked per the FLSA no if and or buts about it. I dont doubt that airlines and insurance companies may try to contest this fact if or when it might save them money, but to deny coverage for an injury that occurs on airline equipment while performing a mandatory and critical function on behalf of the airline is outrageous and unlikely to have any chance of success on a domestic flight within the US.

In addition to that, they are not only covered during boarding and while working, but also during any time that is a condition of, or result of their employment. That means they are not only covered at all times on the plane, but on required layovers and deadhead flights as well, even when not working and not in uniform. If you are required to stay overnight at a hotel between flights away from your home location and are injured in your hotel, even that it most likely covered by workers comp, and case law is pretty consistent on that.

I even found this employee memo from Envoy Airlines (who operates as American Eagle) which states this in black and white. http://afaeagle.com/s/Workers-Compensation-Flight-Attendant-Rights.pdf

Of course this is limited to US law and most employment law is at the state level do specific exceptions may vary, but some laws like FLSA are federal and cannot be negated by the states.

It's been too long!
    • Love Love x 1
  11. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I don't think people should have steamer trunks to lift into the bins like some I have seen. I think the entire spirit of "carry on" has been bastardized over the years to mean anything a 6' - 2", 25 year old weight lifter can pick up off the floor. I believe all carry on over 10 lbs. should be checked. This was all started by assholes who are so important and busy that they have to grab their bags and trot to ground transportation, all while deep in cellular conversation.

I'm against it! Make these people behave to my standards!

Show me your goddamn Real ID, Lady, or get off of my airplane!

Example of what I mean: For years, when the office paper order arrived, maybe 30 or more large boxes of paper, the same two of us were always asked to carry it to the second floor. I guess the delivery man's union didn't cover the upper levels of structures. I'm sure that the fact that I was always doing penance for something and the other guy was black had nothing to do with it.

Finally, when I turned 60, I protested. I said "How come me and Charles always have to carry this shit upstairs when there are 5 or more healthy, much younger men in this office."

"Oh, they're Engineers, you and Charles are techs."

"I see. Well my back suddenly hurts and Charles feels discriminated against, so we're not doing this anymore. We will happily take our turn, but the rest of the office has to pitch in."

We were never asked again. It was fun watching the Hundred Grand talent toting barges and lifting bales.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.