1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Why do you like Buffets?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Electroguy563, Jul 2, 2021.

?

Buffet Poll

Poll closed Jul 16, 2021.
  1. I don't like buffets

16 vote(s)
    10.8%
  2. I like cheap Buffets with everyday foods

41 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. I like expensive Buffets with many exotic offerings

60 vote(s)
    40.5%
  4. I like Buffets with nice decor and ambiance

29 vote(s)
    19.6%
  5. I expect free Buffets with reasonable play

40 vote(s)
    27.0%
  6. I believe Buffets should be a Las Vegas Staple

79 vote(s)
    53.4%
  7. I don't care if Buffets are offered or not at any properties

17 vote(s)
    11.5%
  8. While a free or discounted Buffet is nice I'm willing to pay regular price

32 vote(s)
    21.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You also avoid some awkwardness when it comes to splitting the check.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Vegasman

Vegasman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Though I like breakfast at a buffet, that’s it. I’m not a buffet bafoon.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. weegranty

weegranty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where else can you put a fried egg on top of your Corn Flakes.:licklips:

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  4. martinr

martinr Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first Vegas buffet was at Riviera. I remember thinking how disappointing it was. It reminded me of the NL Vegas Vacation scene with the innocuous dishes.
    Anyway, that was clearly the exception rather than the rule!
    I don't feel that my breakfast tastes are in line with the average buffet offerings. It just doesn't make sense in many ways for me.
    The places that had specialty brunch buffets, Sterling and Jasmine's at Bellagio, were more preferable, since they blended many types of a.m. and p.m. dishes.
    Lunch buffets aren't good for me since I don't want to gourge myself in the middle of the day.
    Dinner buffets are where I can get excited! It's either a nicer restaurant or a buffet that I look for. I normally am in Vegas for three nights. So, traditionally I have one buffet meal and two other dinners. Wynn buffet has been a favorite as has Bachannal. A couple of others have been on my list but...pandemic.

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  6. Frankie77

Frankie77 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Honestly, the number one reason I love buffets (and I will only go to a buffet that offers this) is unlimited crab legs. I can easily, on my own, eat four pounds of them, more if I'm really hungry. That alone makes nearly any buffet "worth it", especially when you add in whatever I decide to eat after I finish with the crab portion of the meal.
    I like the variety and portion control that a buffet offers too, but really, the main draw of one for me is getting to sit down with a massive pile of crab and just eat my way through it.

7. martinr

martinr Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cousin Eddie would have loved that Riviera buffet! In fact, that scene may have been shot there!

8. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a BIG fan of buffets unless they have a station or two that server fresh hot food.
    The Paris buffet is a great breakfast buffet as the eggs and crepes are made to order.
    The Bellagio buffet actually has a station cooking fresh hot sliders.

Even knowing which buffets have the made to order food, I still won't go unless tickets are discounted or get a 2 for 1.

9. dtmk66

dtmk66 Welcome to Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love stuffing myself till I am almost sick to make sure I get my money's worth, then complain the rest of the night how miserable I am!!!!!! :feedme::feedme::feedme:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Cat House Guy

Cat House Guy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just checked Cosmo website and Wicked Spoon is now showing open daily from 8-3. 8-11 Breakfast 11-3 lunch

• Like Like x 1
  11. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the variety of Buffets. And since I hate eggs and breakfast in general, a breakfast buffet does the trick for me. I can get some fruit, maybe a bagel, hash browns, coffee and oj. It usually is cheaper for me to do that, than a sit down restaurant and order a la carte.

My husband is on a low sodium diet, that he does have to follow almost to the T, so buffets give him more selections as well, that are lower in sodium.

12. Nick61

Nick61 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just love buffets. I'm a big guy 6" ft 2", weighing in at about 225. Yes, I eat a lot. And we've been to just about every major buffet in Vegas, from ones such as the low end Orleans to the Sterling brunch at Bally's. The Sterling Brunch was great, we usually do that one if we're celebrating a birthday or anniversary in Vegas. However the last time we had the Sterling Brunch, we felt it wasn't quite as good as before.

We've also been to the Bacchanal at Caesar's which was outstanding. We've been to the wicked spoon at the Cosmo, which IMO wasn't as good as the high price tag.

And frankly, I've always enjoyed the lower end ones more because of the incredible value. For example, at the Orleans I remember having both New York strip steaks and delicious bbq ribs at one particular buffet. I did some real "damage" to that buffet that night. Probably along the lines of 3 steaks and 2 slabs of ribs. I don't know if it showed up on their earnings report or not, LOL! And the price was around $19.95 per person. Plus, we had a 2 for 1 coupon, LOL! Now how in the hell can you beat that?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is one thing that buffets do well. Everyone is different and some of us need more food than others. The buffet will solve this.

When I'm out with my family and am treating them to dinner I always am concerned for certain family members because I know they can and want to eat more than an average sized serving. My son-in law is a large man with a man-sized appetite. He'll order a meal and then supplement it with some sides or appetizers.

I make sure that they know I'm okay with them ordering whatever they want. I want them to be content and happy with their dining experience.

When we go out to eat at buffets, I don't worry about this at all. I know everyone will be happy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  14. GOLFCADDY1

GOLFCADDY1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been a fan of buffet's ever since my first trip to the Stardust back in the early 80's. In Feb 2019, just before covid shut Vegas down, I enjoyed Main Street Station breakfast buffet. Not sure if MSS will ever have another buffet or if Boyd Gaming will make more food courts their priority over a buffet? The last time to Vegas in Feb 2021, no buffets open. Hopefully when I return mid Aug 20221, their will be more buffet's open besides South Point. Take it ez. GOLFCADDY1

15. Lady Fortuna

Lady Fortuna Blessed with luck and ignorance...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a kid and teenager I loved buffets, which here we only see at weddings or anniversaries. When I was planning my first trip to Vegas and found out about the buffets, I thought I would end up in heaven (which came true but for different reasons); steak, crab, shrimp, all my favorite foods which I can't afford to eat every day, YES!!

I was really disappointed at my first Vegas buffet, everything tasted so bland and blah. Buffet prime rib is not the same as the steaks I like and the seafood had no taste to it at all. I still stuffed myself cause I was in that greedy mode and paid full price so I wanted my money worth. The rest of the day I felt sickish and without energy. What a fool I was!

Still the buffets hadn't lost their magic for me though. The memories of a child with big eyes in front of a buffet. I learned that I totally had to change my approach. Instead of stuffing myself with the most expensive foods, I try bits and pieces of everything. Different foods that I would normally not order in a restaurant, because I'm not sure if I'll like it. And then go for 2nds and 3rds of the favorite dishes. And dessert doesn't HAVE to be at the end. You can just throw a dessert session in between two rounds. It's even quite desirable.

But tbh I don't like to pay full price for a buffet. Not because it is not worth it. But it is not worth it for me. My trips are 2-3 weeks and I have to pick and choose what I splurge on. The good buffets are quite expensive and in Vegas there are so many places for great and cheap food. I prefer to keep my splurge money for gambling. And I greatly enjoy doing the research in the months prior to a trip, for good deals/comps/coupons/rewards etc for nice restaurants and buffets. It's part of - and extends - the anticipation and fun.

Gimme some Vegas baby!!
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it would be nice if they jazz up Breakfast Buffets every once in a while. We all know that breakfast is hard to screw up and most of us just want fruit, eggs, bacon, toast, hash, etc.

But maybe offer Korean Breakfast items or Japanese Breakfast items. Or other ethnic breakfasts. That would be interesting!

A Japanese breakfast would include fried saba ( a type of mackeral fillet), white rice with seaweed seasonings, miso soup, and sometimes egg cooked to your choice.

Korean breakfast would include an assortment of ban chan (side dishes; usually pickled vegetables, bean sprouts, shredded spiced codfish) also with a soup like seaweed soup.

I'm not sure what other ethnic breakfasts look like or consist of but I'm game to try them!

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  17. vegasvp

vegasvp Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I completely agree with you about Wicked Spoon.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BenjaminNicholas

BenjaminNicholas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To me, buffets symbolize the worst of Vegas.

The stereotype, overweight, schlubby, American tourist who gorges and leaves a lot of wasted food.

19. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Vegas is Fabulous When You Degen Responsibly ;)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    *stares in Fat American Tourist* Hey, I’ll have you know I keep myself perfectly presentable even for most Wynn audiences, and when I gorge myself I leave a clean plate :nono::p

• Like Like x 1
  20. BenjaminNicholas

BenjaminNicholas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, stuff yourself silly... As long as you don't leave a ton of food behind. EAT IT ALL :)