1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Who flies southwest?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Bryan84, May 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan84

Bryan84 Hard six coming out! - Vegas Vacation

Trips to Las Vegas:
    im looking to get one ticket non stop on Southwest for Mid October. My question is, is it better to buy it now or wait till closer to the date with a Southwest to get a better deal?

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ALWAYS - ALWAYS buy earlier.

Prices rarely go down. Sometimes they do.

With SW - if they go down you can rebook and they hold those funds good for any SW flight within the next year.

Of course, if you will not be flying them again, that is worthless.

• Agree Agree x 12
  3. bedaniels

bedaniels High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you buy now you can rebook at a lower fare without paying a fee if prices drop. You’ll have a credit for the difference in fares which expires in a year.

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Geogran

Geogran Whooo. Whooo.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have the advantage of time, keep checking and as soon as you see a price you like, book it. The good thing about SWA is if you see a better price later, just go into your reservation and change it to the lower fare (don’t cancel and rebook) with no penalty. The difference between the higher fare vs the lower fare will remain on that confirmation number and you can apply at a later date up to one year to another flight.

5. DiamondD

DiamondD High Roller in Training

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WAIT!! With all the issues surrounding the Boeing 737 Max 8 grounded aircraft, SWA is selling tickets to flights in the Fall of 2019 that they cannot confirm will occur. They are assuming that 5% of their grounded fleet will be back on-line, after 8/5/19. If the FAA does not approve these planes to re-enter airspace after this date, all scheduled flights sold after 8/5/19 are subject to cancellation or changes in schedule.

Pre-Spring 2020 Trip
    Mid-year Break
  6. Bryan84

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome, thanks for the advice. Is the “wanna get away” usually the best deal?
    Sorry, I’m new to SouthWest
    interearing....

7. HoppinHardWays

HoppinHardWays High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only airline I will fly

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bryan84

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How come?

9. Geogran

Geogran Whooo. Whooo.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always book wanna get away. I

I flew to Vegas in May and was subject to the cancellation due to the groundings - no cancellations, trip went as planned. Especially by October, SWA will have the reschedulings in hand with fewer and fewer cancellations. I wouldn’t hesitate to book...even if the max 8 doesn’t come back on line.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if by best deal, you mean price, yes.

11. HoppinHardWays

HoppinHardWays High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don’t have to pay for checked bags, they fly to a lot of places nonstop out of OMA.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bryan84

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a $75 Gift Card so round trip out of Des Moines will cost about $320.

13. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    if the price seems reasonable now, book it. check for prices changes at least every other day, and if the price goes down, re-book at the lower price.
    airfare fluctuates a lot!

• Like Like x 1
  14. theoldcoach

theoldcoach Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had a couple of flights canceled by SW. in one case, it was the best possible thing that could happen. My 5:25 AM flight out of Vegas was canceled. SW then opens you to rebook on ANY available flight within 2 weeks. I was able to get on a normal timed flight for ZERO added dollars. This flight would have ben an extra $100 when I originally booked.

SW has always come through, and I cannot beat the deal. YMMV

• Like Like x 2
  15. Catzilla

Catzilla High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I looked at the trip I have booked furthest out in mid September. I booked both legs separately, one on Feb 10th and the other on March 8th. Since I use points this won't be real helpful, but it will give you an idea. Both ways were 5709 points when I booked. They are 5492 now. That's only a drop of 434, so I'm not even going to mess with it. I'll start watching in early July and if I see a drop in the 4000-5000 range I'll rebook them.

I always book early and then follow for a price drop, but that's easy to do with points because there are no expirations on the refunds. My friend and I have flights in June. I booked first and she was going to wait until the day she thought prices would drop. Come that day they were up $30, so you never know. SW used to have some killer sales, but they're a little harder to find now.

Like others said, use the low fare calendar and watch the wanna get away fares.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Bryan84

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems like SW has a very loyal following.

17. Catzilla

Catzilla High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't check baggage, but the cost savings there is significant to a lot of people. I happen to book and cancel flights with great frequency, so not having cancellation fees is why they are the only airline I use.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't understand why you wouldn't rebook now? Points refund automatically. It's not like travel funds where you get a voucher that expires in a year. You took the time to look. Go rebook the flight.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  19. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you really, really are focused on cash...I know Allegiant runs that route. Do keep in mind the fees.

20. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nonstops are Southwest's #1 feature. It's the only reason I ever fly the airline anymore. They have some great routes.

#2 is that the service is only matched by Delta. The employees are generally very good.

I get that some people like the peace of mind of free bags, but most of the time, it's just not that material once you learn how to pack.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.