1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Who does their own Oil changes?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by BaileyPaws, Jan 11, 2020.

1. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For what it’s worth....I pay to get the oil changed by someone else.

2. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband says there's no savings. Is he skimming from the oil change budget? What's he doing with that spare cash?

3. Eric1285

Eric1285 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A former coworker of mine had a 1st gen Porsche Cayman. She told me that she and her husband always got the oil changed at the dealership, to the tune of $800 each time. I promptly found her a DIY video on Youtube and she just shrugged. Apparently their time is worth more than $800 an hour to them. I remember her gushing about some silly trinkets they got when they bought the car, plus the occasional fancy brochure they'd get in the mail...one overpriced oil change more than covers the costs of those marketing gimmicks.

Depends on the vehicle. I only save about $20 changing my own oil on my vehicle, but I do it myself so I have peace of mind that it was done right. I let the dealership change the oil on my fiance's SUV because it'd cost about the same as doing it myself.

4. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why would anyone change their oil when you can get it changed for $19 - $29 including oil and filter.
    4 Qts of oil would cost you $10 plus filter.

5. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well the why has been answered by several of us in this thread who do it. Whether you agree and choose the same is strictly a matter of personal preference. I'd say except for a few particular car types most people aren't doing it themselves to save money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Eric1285

Eric1285 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use higher quality oil than what the dealership uses, and I get it for less than what they charge. I buy the filters from the dealership (or wherever I find them on sale). Plus, I can check underneath my car when I'm changing the oil and make sure there are no weird leaks and make sure all the hoses and such are still in good shape.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do it myself largely to keep self sufficiency and I can afford to pay for an oil change at a shop if I chose to. I never pay someone to do something I'm perfectly capable of doing myself. Heck, I'd fill my own teeth if I had the tools and could get a good view.

8. progrocker2112

progrocker2112 Watch out for this guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in suburban north Fort Worth and still manage, but yeah it wouldn't work if I were a few miles to the north west here. I may have been drunk last night making such a boastful post.

• Funny Funny x 1