1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Who does their own Oil changes?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by BaileyPaws, Jan 11, 2020 at 7:29 PM.

1. joespoolhall

joespoolhall High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With oil and filter costing about $25-30, the cost of dumping and figuring your time in, even dealer prices aren't bad. Just not worth it anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. rooster42000

rooster42000 Patriots #1

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jiffy Lube.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wesraft

wesraft Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I try and do it in the fall and spring, in good weather, but had a nice day last week and took care of an overdue oil change. It was over the snow, but I had a nice big piece of cardboard to lie on. It's (almost) instant gratification for me. Not having to worry about some underpaid kid not tightening the plug or filter, plus I have a convenient place to take the oil. This reminds me that I need to do my daughter's car soon. I had access until recently to equipment to mount and balance my tires and I always did that too. Not looking forward to paying for that service in the future.

• Like Like x 3
  4. BaileyPaws

BaileyPaws Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This....

Most annoying part. I gave up doing it by hand and got a little cordless impact. Specifically for that. Now it goes smooth. I sometimes break the little plastic plug clips that hold some parts of the sides of the tray. Amazon has that covered though. 50c a piece vs $5 bucks each at the dealer :cry:

1st time....
  5. msadrakula

msadrakula Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No oil changes needed since I bought Chevy Bolt last year

6. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My fat-ass hasn’t been under a vehicle since 1978 and I plan to maintain that streak! Clean synthetic every 5,000 miles for me please...

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  7. gr8whitenorth

gr8whitenorth High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the car I get it done at the local quick lube place as that damned thing is too tiny to work on. On my truck I do it myself. The cost at the dealer for an F350 oil burner stings and doing it myself is easy as I can just roll underneath it; no jack needed. I buy rotella in bulk 5 gallon pales when it goes on sale. It saves me quite a bit and it takes maybe 45 minutes start to finish.

They always put the machines that pay out in the front!
    They always put the machines that pay out in the front!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    do like everyone else and go to autozone, park right in front the sign that says "no working on cars in the parking lot" and change it right there, lol...there is an autozone in the hood, some old black guy sets his popup canopy in the parking lot and will do the repairs you need right there for a small fee...not sure how they let him do that but he been doing there for years

not everyone is good at it lol...we have had to change oil pans, drain plugs and a few engines that the 5 minute jiffy lube places either stripped the pan/plug, didnt tighten the oil filter or just failed to put oil back in the engine

9. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always changed the oil in our cars. Full synthetic since about as long as it's been available. Once the car is beyond warranty I don't even pay much attention to the official change interval. Full synthetic never wears out, it just gets dirty. Use a high quality filter. I Still make a mess no matter how much I prep, but it's quicker and cheaper than taking it somewhere else to have done. The auto parts stores take the used oil for recycling. Two of our cars are pretty new, but the third (my "trail car") is a 2000 Honda with 172,000 miles on it. No engine issues at all.

10. Eric1285

Eric1285 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do all the oil changes on my car - every 5k miles. Takes me about an hour since I jack the entire car up onto a set of wood blocks (I don't want to be under a car supported only by jack stands when an earthquake hits). I think I save maybe $20, but I do it because I love my car. I take a quick peek at things underneath to make sure everything's okay. My fiance used to drive a similar car (Audi A3 vs. my VW Golf) and I showed her how to do an oil change...she did it a couple of times with no issues. I also like knowing that I've torqued the drain plug and oil filter housing to spec...most dealers just hit it with an air gun and call it a day.

Fiance now drives a VW Touareg. I bought ramps so we could do our own oil changes, but so far we've just let the dealer do it. I'm not familiar with the engine in that car, so I'm terrified of screwing something up. Plus it takes special oil that's rather expensive, so DIY ends up costing the same as a trip to the dealer.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well dirty is as bad as worn out.:thumbsup: I change it once a year my synthetic as I don't put enough miles on it to change it sooner but I won't go more then a year on oil.

Fury vs Wilder 2
  12. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do not, and have not, changed my own oil since around 1980.
    Back on the rural route, I spent considerable time under trucks, cars and tractors...changing oil, points-n-plugs, adjusting the timing, etc. No mo'. The days of maintaining via the simplest set of tools is long gone.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. pirviii

pirviii Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do my own fleet maintenance and if I have the oil and filter, I can get it changed in less time it would take to drive to any of the oil change places b around here. I look for oil being on sale and buy it whenever I see a good deal.

Spring Break
  14. BigShot55

BigShot55 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another option is a school or commercial parking lot on the weekend. Where there's a will, there's a way!

15. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. Mobil1. Every 3-5k.

16. petnel

petnel Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always change my own even though I have a friend with a repair shop--don't want to bother him with the small stuff. In fact, I took advantage of the 70F degree weather here in New England and changed it in both cars today.

17. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did these myself for many years (decades, actually)...until, one day, I realized that $20 to have it done for me was about the cost of my oil & filter.

Now that our cars are on full synthetic (wife's) and semi-synthetic (mine), the cost is a bit higher ($50 and $30, respectively), but I suspect that (with the higher priced synth oil) that's still close to what my cost would be to do it myself.

Note: I do have to shop/coupon-clip to get those $50 & $30 prices today.

18. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Walmart is a pretty good place for an oil and filter and the prices are not bad at all and they are pretty fast.

Fury vs Wilder 2
  19. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is exactly my response with one added thing: The last time I changed my oil to "save money" I stripped the threads of my oil pan.

20. Glenn357M

Glenn357M High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually change my own oil. Usually with some and a buddy or two over. Only takes a few hours. If theres a game or a race on it takes a little longer. I take the drain oil to autozone

• Like Like x 1