1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Which hotel credit card is the best value (hotel & which bank issuer)

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by Bernie2, Apr 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie2

Bernie2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a Hilton with 40K points and was looking for another card. Looking at maybe Comfort Inn or something similar. Thanks

2. ken2v

ken2v 200,000 and counting

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why two hotel chain cards?

Airline? A high cash-back option?

Best and value are too subjective. A Southwest card could be the bomb, but it would do us no good given how we fly.

3. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you fly, the SW air card is great if you get 2 different one for yourself. That earns companion flight at 110,000 miles and 2 cards give bonus of 50,000 each. Easy to use 10,000 in a year and good for the year you get qualified plus the next whole year.

4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas cards? Or travel cards in general?

We have an American Airlines one through Citibank that my husband loves for us to use as he racks up the miles. Trying to redeem them is another story. :wink2:

I like the Total Rewards card, which I believe is through Comenity Bank.

5. ken2v

ken2v 200,000 and counting

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's always been easy using our Alaska Air miles (BofA Visa).

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, Alaska is pretty great. Dan's going to Germany this summer and the international part of the trip was difficult for him to schedule. He's got it figured out now, but it requires something like 4-5 different flights between Seattle and Hamburg. Final cost ended up under $120. I still think we're counting it as a win.

7. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The starwood card had a pretty good promo going on (35k points but their points are more valuable per point than the average chain - for example they convert to Marriott at 3 Marriott points per 1 Starwood point)

Instead of looking for a hotel card, you could also look at some of the travel points cards like Chase Sapphire reserve

Return to Greatness
  8. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really dislike AA's award functionality now. I dumped that card and, really, the whole AAdvantage program.

Return to Greatness
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When looking for card ( I have about 30-40 I think), you want to look at

1 - What do you get for signing up? Miles/points/cash back of course and WHERE can you use them.

2 - What other perks you will get. Delta card has an annual fee but son in law will not get it. Instead he pays even more in luggage fees on each flight. ?$?$

3 - Annual fee. Often worth paying the first year, but usually not the second unless you get perks that cover that cost.

As to people using cards to buy groceries, gas, etc. Yea, those miles are nice. But, getting another card with a 25-50,000 sign up bonus gets miles way faster than your monthly food bill.

10. Foos

Foos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the Starwood rewards card myself, cash out 20k points to any airline program and they add 5k points for free.

11. Bernie2

Bernie2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for your responses and I do have 2 SW cards. If, I can get another SW/air mile credit card will but right now the Starwood card looks like the winner and Nerd Wallet likes it too. Again thanks.

12. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have SW for SW flights
    Chase Saphire Reserve - when it first came out, there was a 100k point bonus - we'll be using this for our trip to Cancun if we go this year. Now they've dropped it down to 50k signup bonus
    Barclays for Apple products (not that it has anything to do with flights - more for work equipment)
    And a AA points card - think it's BofA
    And we got the mLife card to try to avoid parking fees in LV.

Where ever we think we're gonna go for vacation, we'll start to use that card as our primary spending card to earn points and try to get as close to a $0 owed as we can. Spending the money anyway on bills, groceries, etc... may as well make the most of the points.

Follow The Points Guy on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/thepointsguy/ - to keep up on all the new cards, points, etc...

13. jamie1983

jamie1983 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say SPG card is the best hotel card by far, and can be really good when paired with Marriott. The sign up bonus for spg is 35k but one of the most valuable credit card points you can earn. They transfer to marriott at 3-1...so 35k SPG is 105k marriott....You can find weekend hotels as low as 2k points per night at a sheraton. Marriott has had 100k sign up bonus recently and comes with a free night each year, at lower category hotel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.