1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Which Buffet?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by lyonc, Jan 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lyonc

lyonc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am meeting some friends in Vegas next month and they want to do a buffet. Which one is the best for crab legs and steak?

2. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aria buffet's crab legs are fantastic.

The Prime Rib practically melted in my mouth. One of the best I have eaten.

3. Krh2o

Krh2o MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe Bellagio on weekends had king crab legs. As for Steak, the only buffet I know with a steak is MGM, but it wasn't very good last time i ate there.

4. fudgewapner

fudgewapner High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I strongly second Aria's buffet. The open setting and quality of food put it past my recent experiences with the B buffet and Wynn.

5. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am someone that highly recommends Aria's buffet.

There are a lot of negative comments on this board about Aria's buffet. The buffet is polarizing. People either love it or dislike it strongly. I have come to the conclusion this is due to the fact the food is a lot healthier than the food at other buffets. A lot healthier usually also means less greasy and less salt which also can mean less taste.

6. Chicken Dinner

Chicken Dinner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Call me unhealthy, I suppose, but Aria isn't worth it unless free.

7. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On cue.

Aria's buffet usually has New York strip steak. Haven't had it though.

8. lyonc

lyonc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are leaning towards Wicked Spoon at Cosmo. Does it have crab legs and prime rib? Any opinions on this place?

9. billduhcat

billduhcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've enjoyed wicked spoon in the past for both brunch and dinner. They seem to have a smaller amount of choices compared to Bellagio or Caesars, but overall everything is very good.

Not sure if they have crab legs and prime rib though.

10. boofmichael

boofmichael Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoyed the Aria buffet (it was free with MyVegas which helped), but my buddy swears by the Wicked Spoon. Don't think you can go wrong with either of those two.

11. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jimmy?

12. iamsomedude

iamsomedude High-Roller

A place that is not Las Vegas, but I wish it was.
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, they do. I used to think that it was pretty good, but I found that it had declined in quality after my last few visits, so I haven't gone since. If I were to go to a buffet, I would probably stick with the Bacchanal buffet, even though it is expensive.

13. file1040

file1040 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Which buffet? Well here's my 2 cents I'm quite the regular visitor to Vegas and the buffets. I'm an AKC (Alaskan King Crab) lover and I look forward to indulging myself. The week of January 4th, I ate at the renovated Wynn Buffet for $42.99. I was not impressed with the food, but the decor is nicely refreshed and the seats are quite comfortable. Service was fine. No AKC and per the hostess...they will only have AKC on special occasions. The crab featured was opilio (snow). While it was tasty and plentiful, it's just not AKC. The meats were OK, but were drying out. Salads and other cold items were good, as were some of the other hot dishes. Just seems like the food was missing some flair and pizzazz. Pastries and treats were delicious.

Later that week (Thursday) I went to Aria and was thrilled that AKC was on the menu. The seafood attendant was continually replenishing the display. The crabs were big, split nicely, and nice and cold, but not watery or partially frozen. I did miss the oysters which I guess are a Friday-Sunday item. The Indian section had some really fresh, top notch cuisine. The salads were cold and crisp. I don't go for pizza and mashed potatoes, but did have some turkey and brisket. Service was good..plates cleared and drinks refilled promptly. The fresh fruit was really good as were ice cream and gelato. Pastries are the only thing that some attention. Personally, I think Aria takes the cake.

I was a huge fan of Bellagio Buffet, but me thinks they need to shut-down and do a refresh. Its getting a little tired looking. The food quality is still up there and its still one of my favorites.

Just remember that all the buffets will let you take a look before you commit to buying a meal.

14. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think I've EVER had a decent steak at a buffet in Las Vegas in all of my years and all of the buffets! The buffet prime rib can occasionally be almost-restaurant-quality but as my one co-worker calls it, it's "Prime Rib Roulette" most of the time.

Has anyone had anything close to a good restaurant quality steak at a Las Vegas buffet, ever?

15. Bommen

Bommen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If by good restaurant quality steak you mean usda prime, its going to be a big difference off course since the buffets offer a lower quality grade off beef.

16. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I mean something that is tasty and somewhat tender. I know you won't get a Peter Luger steak at a buffet but maybe something like what your local bar might serve on their "steak night" or something similar. LOL - Something that's worth the calories! :)

The closest I remember, and they've had it at Sam's Town and the old Fitzgerald's was the mock fillet, or rather mock fillet nuggets. :) :) You couldn't call those portions a "steak" but they were indeed flavorful. They didn't last long at either place, as you would see things like some guy piling 10-12 or so on a plate!

17. Bommen

Bommen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got you! The thing with buffets is that they are trying to generate a profit so the more expensive items like sushi, steaks, crab legs, lobster etc will be of lower quality to make this possible. Its not like the chefs don't know how to cook a steak properly at a buffet its just because of this reason. So if you go to a good restaurant and order any of the things mentioned above it will most likely be better since you pay for whatever you order instead of whats available plus the humongous amount of food that other people actually throw away.

18. momo325

momo325 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    for crab legs i would suggest Aria.
    the Luxor one is pretty good too.

19. Motorcat

Motorcat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am going to tell you the best buffet in Vegas is the one at the Mirage ............ they had it all and everything my wife and I ate was fantastic.

20. Eric1285

Eric1285 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wicked Spoon has crab legs and prime rib, but I believe only for dinner. Last time I was there we went around 1:15 PM for lunch and they didn't have crab legs. We took our time and waited for the 3 PM dinner changeover in order to get our fill. They're served cold, but you can ask for them to be heated up. The Cosmopolitan is my home base and with Identity Gold we get 2 for 1 at Wicked Spoon, so I'm usually there at least twice each trip. I've heard lots of people say it's not as good as it used to be - I'd say this is true, but it hasn't fallen off much. It's still definitely in the top tier, although Bacchanal is definitely better (and much more expensive). I prefer Wicked Spoon to the buffets at the Bellagio or Wynn (haven't tried the renovated Wynn buffet yet). Tough to compare to Aria as I've only been there once - need to go back again, especially if they have king crab.

I tried the Mirage buffet for the first time on a trip last August. We used a buy one get one free from myVegas, so it worked out to be ~$15-20 per person. We went on a Thursday night right at dinner time. Line was short and quick, but the buffet was just not good. Limited selection and nothing stood out as unique or special. The crab legs were still frozen and I was getting bits of ice in each bite. I'm not a picky eater at all (I think almost everything tastes good, and I'm pretty much happy as long as there's something to eat) but I wouldn't go back, even with the buy one get one deal. I think it's have to drop to ~$10 a person for me to consider it again. It's definitely the most disappointing buffet I've had in Vegas (although I generally only go to the top tier buffets).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.