1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Where did you grow up? Where are you now and where do you hope to retire?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ref59405, May 3, 2021.

1. rhinoman7

rhinoman7 Whale-wannabe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually born in Hammond, IN, but raised in Chicago. Spent the first 23 years of my life moving around the NW side of Chicago, so was raised a Cubs fan.
    After getting married, did some more moving around:
    Chicago to Deerfield, IL to Portage, IN to back to Deerfield, IL back to Chicago, IL and then to Waukegan, IL.
    After all that craziness, finally built a house in Kenosha, WI almost 23 years ago, and more than likely will stay here much longer.
    Plan is to become a snow-bird and bounce between Kenosha and Orlando, FL. Have a lot of family and friends in the Orlando/Kissimmee area, and LOVE visiting there.

• Like Like x 3
  2. ken2v

ken2v That was awesome

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the things that is on our radar is how work/location/retirement might intersect, too. Making a positive professional move that brings into play a place on the ultimate retirement list ain't a bad thing. Now a lot of stuff needs to line up for this to happen but being aware of it seems prudent. We have not been averse to moving for advancement -- in job and as it plays/pays into retirement -- but if that last one can be so timed ... nice. Profession/career is still foremost, however.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was born and raised in a tiny village in South Cumbria, England. By tiny, I mean two pubs, two farms, a combined infant and junior school, a combined post office and shop, a population of 200 or so, and I knew everyone by name. I left home when I was 24 years old. I moved to the small town nearby and still live there. I travelled regularly for work, so it's nice to have somewhere familiar to come home to. Pre pandemic, I often travelled for leisure, including once or twice a year to Las Vegas since 2000.
    My dad still lives in the family home in that tiny village. He has been there 86 years and counting.

I took early retirement 21 years ago this week. I plan to move abroad and settle down eventually.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    • Love Love x 1
  4. Johnny Bollocks

Johnny Bollocks Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Central NJ
    East coast of Florida
    Vegas

• Like Like x 1
  5. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Grew up in Guadalupe, California (look that one up!!!). My grandfather came to the area from Salinas to grow lettuce back in the 1940's. Lived in Guada and nearby Nipomo until I retired at 65. Now live in Oregon after following my daughter. Actually my first choice for retirement was Arizona, LOL, but Oregon's fine as long as I can get away from it as often as possible—I have sisters in Cali and AZ.

Del Mar, Saratoga, baby!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. ken2v

ken2v That was awesome

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Former home of Far Western Tavern. And boy did it take a shit after it moved.

7. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Knee high to a tomcat when I first sat at the bar in the Far Western with my Roy Rogers while Dad drank bourbon. Had lunch at the new facility in Orcutt a few years ago. Food ok, but just not the same. Actually my favorite hometown restaurant is La Simpatia, best refried beans in the world.

Del Mar, Saratoga, baby!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ken2v

ken2v That was awesome

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know, man, Angela's in Lompoc is pretty righteous.

9. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A close second, with Casa Mañana in Santa Maria and the old Connie's tied for third.

Oops, sorry, probably straying from the original topic, but, that's what happens when you're old, one memory leads to another.

Del Mar, Saratoga, baby!
  10. Allee

Allee Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Born in Cleveland, still in Cleveland, hope to retire somewhere other than Cleveland lol. All jokes aside, I do love Cleveland, I just wish I could pick it up and place it somewhere warm!

Making up for lost time!!!!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Running late

Running late Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Born, raised, and still living in central California, but I'll be damned if I'm retiring here!

• Like Like x 1
  12. ken2v

ken2v That was awesome

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Central Coast or Central Valley? One is not worth deserting. lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Running late

Running late Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Central valley :( Central coast would be nice! Sure wouldn't complain about retiring there.

14. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Grew up in eastern San Diego, CA and spent most of my young adult life there. It was a good place to grow up. Spent many summers and winters camping for weeks at the beach with family and friends. The state beaches are beautiful up there!

Now in my early 30's, I've been living outside Los Angeles throughout the pandemic - but I hate it. Plotting to move out of California and see what some other states have to offer this fall. My family is still in San Diego though, so I'm sure I'll visit frequently :)

4th of July Adventures, Since Cruisin' is Out
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Born and raised in Orange County, CA
    Went to college in San Luis Obispo, CA (1983 to 1989)
    Spent 8 months of 1988 in Boca Raton, FL for college cooperative education program (listed it because it was the most fun I ever had)
    Went to the Valley in LA County to work (1990 to 1994)
    Transferred to Tucson, AZ after a few years when LA office was closed (1994 to 1996)
    Transferred to South Bay area of LA, CA for less than a year (lived with parents in OC, 1996)
    Changed jobs back to the Valley in LA at a small company (90 percent of workers from the previous company in the Valley; 1997)
    Company bought by large company in 2002 (bought a home in South Pasadena, CA in 2005)
    Took a year off from working in 2014
    Worked for a small company in OC until it was bought and dissolved (2015 to 2016)
    Took a half-year off
    Work for a company owned by a school (2017 in Pasadena; actually La Canada Flintridge)
    Now in my fifties going to Vegas around 6 times per year since 1997 (but haven't been there in a year-and-a-half)

On hiatus for over a year-and-a-half. Can't wait to get back!
  16. topcard

topcard Vegas Has Re-Opened!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was brought up in Houston (1968-1994), living near Fort Worth now (1996- ), and will retire somewhere in Texas, somewhere closer to Austin than we are now.
    Now, before 1968, I lived in Providence RI, Boston, Silverdale South, Bremerton & Port Orchard (Washington), and Glen Burnie & Rockville (Maryland).

• Like Like x 1
  17. TXGal

TXGal Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Texas
    Texas
    Texas

18. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, hey, a fellow Mustang. I was class of 1975, soil sciences.

Del Mar, Saratoga, baby!
  19. LVisBeautiful

LVisBeautiful High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My child/adulthood literally reads like Johnny Cash's "I've been everywhere" or get your Kicks on Route 66. (Both coasts and Midwest)

Born in Oklahoma City, moved to Flagstaff, Bakersfield, back to Oklahoma, Tulsa to be exact, then to Houston, , Rock Island Ill, and Bettendorf IA. Oklahoma City again, Tulsa again, Tahlequah for college, Then off to Lake Tahoe, I won't count the transition between CA and NV, back to Tulsa, Married and Arkansas (more college), then Florida (even more college), and now here, in Portland.

Weird skills: going across the country and hardly looking at a map. Knowing numerous state capitals and having to learn stuff that from multiple states you would typically only learn about where you are growing up, like state flowers, and birds and songs.

Weird benefits: a LOT of friends that I actually know/met in school. Absolutely no fear of traveling by plane or car. Understanding that for the most part, we are all just variations of each other, based on what we learned growing up, except either louder or softer, with a different accent (Southern vs. Eastern, vs Midwest).

Living in Portland, loving my life. Hope to retire here. I don't ever want to move again.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. The Toddster

The Toddster Derrick Henry strikes fear in the hearts of men

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Born in Russellville, KY and moved to Bowling Green after dropping out of college and getting married at age 22. Moved to Baldwinsville, NY (Syracuse area) for work a few years ago, but left that position and moved back due my wife getting a promotion at her job. She was going to retire this year on her 48th birthday but 2 weeks ago earned a significant promotion and raise. She's going to work another 5 years (which will also pump up her pension) and then retire and take on a similar role somewhere else.

We haven't discussed retirement yet. My employer has multiple locations all over the country, so transferring wouldn't be an issue. Part of me wants to move to the Laughlin/Bullhead City area but hell, who knows? We hope to be mortgage-free within 10 years and that will play a role in where we go, if anywhere.