1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Where did you grow up? Where are you now and where do you hope to retire?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ref59405, May 3, 2021.

1. smallz79

smallz79 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Born in Rockford, Illinois
    moved to lakewood, colorado
    i hope to retire in las vegas or mesquite

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gomar

Gomar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I grew up in da hood, the boogie Broookleen baby! Where my homies at?

3. Echo27

Echo27 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went to Roselle Catholic for a bit! Small world.

Born and raised in northern New Jersey. Moved to Washington State 18 years ago. Not sure where we will retire. Hopefully by the ocean.

4. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Born and raised in Manhattan, though went to high school on Long Island. Went to college and law school on the UWS and worked in midtown for years.

Currently live here in Vegas, with which some of you might be familiar.

I honestly have not thought about retirement. It's just not on my horizon yet. I'm not "young" anymore, but I've got a ways to go!

• Like Like x 1
  5. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me?????????? RETIRE??!!???!!?????!!?????AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHA.!!!!!!!!!! Now that is truly funny. I'll be working when I'm in a coffin.... it's called too many bills not enough money.

6. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Grew up on the shores of Lake Huron about 100 miles north of Detroit. After college I moved to Wisconsin to a small town called Beaver Dam for a year. I then lived briefly in Green Bay, Wi, Marquette, Mi in the U.P. LaCrosse, Wi, back to my hometown in Michigan, back to LaCrosse and finally in Rochester, Minnesota for the past 27 years. I've been retired for three years now; I always thought of retiring in Michigan's U.P. or someplace in the Southwestern U.S. but that all changed with the birth of my grandson a couple of years ago. The little guy and I have become close and I can't image not sticking around to be in his life and watching him grow up. So it looks like I will put up with the Minnesota winters; subzero temperatures and snowfall and swatting mosquitoes in the summer for the foreseeable future.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  7. tfcoach72

tfcoach72 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Grew up Nashville
    Worked Marietta, GA/Auburn Univ/Marietta
    Retired Dallas, GA (just NW of Marietta/Atlanta)

Annual Anniversary and Holiday trip
    • Like Like x 2
  8. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Grew up in a suburb of Los Angeles except for a few early years in a suburb of Chicago
    College in the SF bay area
    A year in Los Angeles
    Arizona for more school
    over a decade in central CA
    Over 5 years in another part of southern California
    moved to Utah in 2020
    For future plans, see another thread.

The desire to share more specific details is strong, but so is the fear of identity thieves. Anyone who applies themselves can probably track down the rest of my information.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. tornadobox

tornadobox High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Grew up in Massachusetts
    Live in Massachusetts

I have this crazy notion about retiring to an on-strip condo in Vegas...guess I shoulda jumped on that Dogecoin back in 2018 when my friends and I were joking about it...

10. Tarstarkas

Tarstarkas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Born in Georgia, lived in NCarolina, SCarolina, NY, Sdak, Idaho, Calif, Maine, Mass, Ct, Tokyo, Japan, Washington, Scotland and Illinois. I recently retired to Maine.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GoriGambler

GoriGambler Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was born in Mexico City, after the 1985 earthquake we moved to Juarez, border city with El Paso, TX, have lived here most of my life... retirement.. I would love a condo near playacar or the Mexican Riviera...

12. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Born in the Olney/Oak Lane section of Philadelphia, grew up in South Jersey, commuted to college in Philly, got married and moved to the western suburbs of.......where else? Philadelphia. Lived in the same house for 23 years and never moved more than 30 miles from my place of birth. Same for my wife. We like the area and have family nearby.

Retire? I'm self employed and could continue to pull the plow anywhere with a cell phone signal and a wifi connection; customers who value me and suppliers who do the same.

We like the Jersey Shore, but I could see doing a one month snowbird rental in Florida in the winter.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Born in Arizona, moved to Babylonia
    Okay...Ft Huachuca, Arizona
    Army brat...moved around from there to NJ, PA, VA, Japan...
    Age 12-17 3/4--Eau Gallie, FL (I know, it is officially Melbourne, but I grew up in the Eau Gallie section of town)
    Age 17 3/4-39 Marine Corps World Tour
    Now--Texas
    Retire--???? Depends on where the kids all end up.

• Like Like x 1
  14. PlanetMark

PlanetMark Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Born in Northampton, UK
    Grew up in Reading, a nothing-much-going-on commuter town (on the same rough estate as Ricky Gervais, though I never met him)
    Other stops, Essex, Birmingham,15 years in Budapest, Hungary
    Now, Bournemouth - just down the road from Marky147

Retiring... TBD, somewhere a little warmer than the UK would be ideal.

• Like Like x 1
  15. phantomfj

phantomfj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Grew up on a farm in southern Saskatchewan (Canada), spent most of my working life as an industrial electrician in the Alberta oil and gas sector, my wife was able to transfer with her job to the Comox Valley on Vancouver Island about 7 years ago (I had already pulled the pin on my working career by then)...We are loving it here and can't imagine going any place else

• Like Like x 1
  16. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Born in the land of wheat. University in the land of wheat. Lived in several states when doing the corporate thing.
    Retired at 55 (to a warmer climate than that offered by the land of wheat) and loving it!

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Annual NYE trip!
    • Love Love x 1
  17. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty boring. Grew up in south central Seattle. In time moved to north burb for a number of years until a job offer moved me to a south Sea suburb. my best friend and wife moved down to LV in '98. I came close to following in them in the early 2000s, but stayed up here. Good I did for two reasons. First, my parents health seriously declined and I looked after them until they were gone. Second would be the recession of '08. I has good F&B experience, but '08 was brutal for LV in those years. Up here my job was secure. Down there not so much. Friends told me no one was spared, so I'd say i made the right decision. My only question is, why does someone that hates rain and cool weather stay in Seattle all his life?

18. RushAndRoulette

RushAndRoulette Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Small World, I grew up three blocks from Roselle Park on the Elizabeth side of Galloping Hill Road.

19. ref59405

ref59405 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Me too. It is interesting to see how many of us have lived in different places while others have happily stayed in the same area. When I was growing up in New Jersey I never planned on living in Montana, but I have been here now for over 35 years (with a few small breaks). I work with some people who lived here their entire lives and have no intention of moving. I look at that and think they might be missing something by not experiencing other locations, and they think I am foolish for moving so often.

I guess once you find what makes you happy and works for you there is no reason to keep looking.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ref59405

ref59405 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Wow! I worked at Junior's Famous pizza on Morris Ave when I was in high school. That was around 1980 so I don't know if it is even there anymore. I went to Roselle Park High Scool until 3pm each day, then rode my bike to Junior's in Elizabeth where I would work from 4pm-midnight. They I would ride my bike back home and try to sleep for school on the morning. Needless to say this didn't work out so well for me :)