1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

When does your Las Vegas trip "begin?"

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by engicedave, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right when I feel the plane start to descend.

2. ABQJeff

ABQJeff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flying, it's when we get in the limo at the McCarren airport.
    Driving, when we stop in Henderson for a couple of subs at Capriotti's.

3. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As soon as the car picks us up at our house for the ride to PHL - we always use the same limo service & request the same driver - who's also a Vegas nut - so he almost always drives us to & from the airport at home and we always wind up talking to him about what our plans for the trip are and just gambling & Vegas in general.

I also tend to start drinking as soon as I'm seated on the flight out, and usually don't stop drinking until I've gotten off the plane on the flight back home :drunk:

4. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I try to get it started when I get through TSA. But lately I have been renting cars and stopping for supplies in Las Vegas. So I feel like there is still more to do even after I get there: I gotta get the best car they have, I want the best booze, how many mixers?, how much munchies?, should I buy a styro cooler?, etc... Then I get to the hotel and I can't relax because I have to get my room before any of the other people in line and one of these days I KNOW I'm going to get an awesome upgrade for free.

So as much as I try to relax, I just can't seem to do it until I get into my room. But then I have a Crown & Coke and all is right with the world. Sigh...

5. bigmoneyvic

bigmoneyvic Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    as soon as I step off the plane into the airport.......

6. squidward

squidward Probationary Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I get out of my car and get on the shuttle bus for the transfer from parking lot to airport. I put my car keys in my luggage and realise I'm not driving anything anywhere for a for a few days :banana: :beer: :banana:!

7. 4dazeoff

4dazeoff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    for me it's when we drive out of the rental car facility and make that right turn onto las vegas blvd! packing is a pain in the ass (pita), flying is a pita, getting the luggage is a pita, getting the rent a car is a pita but that right turn does it for me! straight to in and out and then fun, fun fun! good luck all!:beer:

8. jhpa

jhpa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any vacation for me starts when I am setled into my seat on the plane and get my first drink. Airports are such a hassle...parking, luggage, security, finding an open spot for my carryon. Once I sit down and strap in the hassles are over. The first vodka and tonic kicks me into relax mode. Once in the air, I start up a vegas movie (Vegas Vacation or 21) or some episodes of the Las Vegas TV show (with season with Tom Selleck - great eye-candy on that show) on my laptop.

9. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me the trip begins the night before we leave...We try to book early morning flights and it can take 90 minutes to get to the airport, we now leave at 5pm the night before and get a hotel room at the airport. For me when I leave the house my Vegas trip has begun and I am counting the hours until check in.

10. LUCnLAZ

LUCnLAZ Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My trip starts the moment I get on the 10 hour flight to Vegas, even though I hate flying LOL:beer:

11. kel3420

kel3420 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Vegas trip starts as soon as my butt hits the airport bar chair.

12. LushLife

LushLife Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just saw this. Cheers! A local Vegas fiend. Too bad we're not going at the same time, we'd party it up at DuClaw!:thumbsup:

13. gn808

gn808 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First time poster

I just returned from a family trip to Vegas and my friend referred me to this site. I've enjoyed reading all the posts so far. I'm from Hawaii where Vegas is a way of life. 2 young kids for any of you who can relate.

For me, my Vegas trip actually starts about 18 months before my actual flight when I start "planting seeds" in my wife's mind about me going to Vegas (not with her and the kids). It normally starts with something casual like "Hmm, I have enough miles for a free RT". Then a couple months later I might mention an event taking place that I really want to see. Then something else and something else. Eventually I book the flight and I know I'm about 50% there at that point. This is normally a collaborative effort between me and my friends as we are all pretty much in the same boat at this point in our lives with not only wives to convince, but also 2 or 3 young kids who we will leave at home with our wives. The most important reason for the "solo" Vegas trip is never mentioned until absolutely necessary. And by most important, I mean most beneficial to the wife and kids that I go on this undoubtably epic trip. If it so happens that this reason never needs to be revealed then it is kept in the back pocket for future use. As the departure date gets closer I find myself switching form a man defense to a cover 2 soft zone, then to a dime package prevent. I'll let her have all the small underneath stuff and even give up TD if that means I'll be on that plane in a few short weeks. This may mean watching the kids while she shops at Victoria Secret and eating a grilled pesto chicken sandwich with mixed greens and a white balsamic dressing and a freakin' cafe that serves stuff like ladyfingers and peppermint hot chocolate, but the constant sound of slot machines ringing and stacking chips makes that sandwich taste like a ribeye steak from Vic & Anthony's. Just keep a smile on your face and suck it up because in a few days it'll all be worth it is what I'm thinking.

Packing is when reality hits and no doubt I'm at the airport bar immediately after making it through TSA. Limo pickup at at McCarran and boooyaaahhh! The rest is history..... Sorry this was so long, but hope you liked it.

14. DMSCR

DMSCR High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Vegas trip begins the moment the last one ends. I got back yesterday and now I am thinking about and planning my next Vegas trip which will either be the end of July or Mid-August. After that it would be either November and December or two weeks in December before Christmas.

Only time I would stop going to Vegas is when it ends the unlimited hands feature for baccarat. Other than that there is no end but always a new beginning.

I could never get bored with this place and in most trips I come here all by myself.

15. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TODAY!! lol:beer::wave::drunk::evillaugh

16. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Planning starts in July when I arrive home from that years trip...

The build up begins around xmas when I book my flights up for June.

The anticipation builds as I start booking hotels through the start of the year.

I get really excited reading Westie's weekly reviews and JillyFromPhilly's full on reviews along with many others. They help me to plan my culinary assault for the trip!!

Really though it all begins once I am in that cab from McCarran and and starting the best 2/3 weeks of the year :beer:

17. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When does my Las Vegas trip "begin"?

The moment my eyes close to daydream or when my head hits the pillow and my eyes close to go to sleep.....

My waking hrs. are spent planning to make those dreams a reality soon. So far this year it's still in the planning stage, dammit...:cry:

18. iowa1525

iowa1525 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This took some thinking. The excitment begins as we get about an hour out on the plane. It really builds as I see the "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign on the wall in the airport. Also, there is something about the rolex clocks that screams Vegas. The excitment continues to rise when our driver is holding up my name. Then this is when th anxiety/anticipation starts. I see everyone on the strip enjoying themselves. At this point I just wanna be checked in, bags down and ready to go. That said, it truly starts when we are checked in, approve of the room and I have retrieved the ice and start making a cocktail! Its go time from there.

Side note. I really think that anticipation/anxiety/excitment of landing, the airport and checking in is a big part of what makes the trip so fun. Knowing that you have just a great time ahead of you, win or lose. I always catch myself sneaking a peak 1 level up from baggage claim at the people leaving vegas and checking into security. Makes me a little sad.

19. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We start to feel "on vacation" on the way to the airport....try to go brain dead during the 4 hour flight but when we are ready to touch down...the "on vacation" starts to kick in big time. Getting off the
    plane, hearing the noise of the slots just stimulates the senses and then...there it is....the Vegas sign welcoming us "home". We have so many "beginnings"....each one just gets better BUT I know we have arrived when check-in is done and I can sit at a slot, order a drink and light a cig......just the best feeling :)

20. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope you didn't too Maryland live lol. :beer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.