1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

When does a carry on fit under the seat?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by DharmaForOne, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DharmaForOne

DharmaForOne Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any advice for ensuring your carry-on gets carried on? How can you convince the flight attendant that it fits?

On my most recent Vegas trip, we had a problem with carry on luggage. It was a full flight and they asked for people to volunteer to check their bags at the gate because the overhead space would be limited. Fine. That happens all the time. My backpack was stuffed, but I never get any trouble in these situations. I've always been able to cram it under the seat in front of me. But I volunteered to check it, since I didn't need it during the flight and we had checked a different bag at the ticket counter and would need to visit the bag claim anyway. However, the flight attendant at the gate was adamant that my girl had to check her small travel case. It had wheels and a plastic shell. It easy fit in the size-checker, but I guess that's for the overhead bin? The thing is, it is obviously smaller than my backpack which I have successfully put under the seat probably 100 times. I understand that the hard shell makes a difference, though.

I've seen this before, too. Once, on a morning business flight in Boston, there was a extremely long line at the security checkpoint. The girl ahead of me in line had a small, hard plastic case similar to what I described above. Again, it looked considerably smaller than my giant overstuffed backpack. It took probably 30 minutes before finally reaching the TSA representative who inspects your ID and boarding pass. Well, there was another airport employee directing people in line on this and that. She came up to the girl in front of me and told her she had to check her bag. Since the line was so long, this would result in the girl missing her flight, but no mercy was shown. I honestly feel like the airport employee was having a bad day or something and deliberately taking it out on someone. In retrospect, I should have stood up for the girl and said that she should take the bag through security and check it at the gate if it was necessary, instead of having to go all the way back through the line.

2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It has to fit "completely" under the seat. and presumably, the TSA reps are supposed to know the dimensions of what fits under the seat. A soft sided case can be "squished" to fit, but a hard shell case probably not.

It "sucked to be her" that day . . . Just my opinion.

Another NGO trip. QQQQ/NYNY
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ken2v

ken2v Wear a mask

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I look forward to a flying environment that does away with any carry-ons beyond a purse or small daypack.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  4. UTHguy

UTHguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope this never happens. I haven't checked a bag (voluntarily) in more than 20 years. If folks would learn the allowed dimensions for US flights are 22 inches high x 9 inches deep x 14 inches wide life would be a lot easier for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jesus fucking Christ is this shit ever gonna end?

Just get on the fucking plane. I wanna go.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ken2v

ken2v Wear a mask

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Umm, how we doing with people voluntarily abiding by rules, laws and guidelines in all aspects of life, at least here in Me-First America? Plus, as airlines order planes with MORE seats and stowage capacity doesn't go up ...

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless the TSA is working DIRECTLY at the gate, they could care less what size your bag is. And, even in that situation, unless someone instructs them, they really could care less if your bag is an overhead bag or under you seat. That is NOT THEIR JOB.

When going through an airport wide TSA area, they are not going to ask anything about size.

Those size checkers are for overhead bags. Of course your underseat item will fit in there. As to it fitting under the seat, not sure what to tell you. A mini roll aboard is going to look like it will not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. UTHguy

UTHguy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    #Truth - Still in ME FIRST MURICA, I don't want to pay the price of someone else's sheer ignorance.

9. ken2v

ken2v Wear a mask

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :thumbsup:

Some ignorance, but mostly just folks who think they and only they are allowed to squeeze 10 pounds in a five-pound bag. Get the shit off the plane and watch the process smooth out exponentially.

10. DharmaForOne

DharmaForOne Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I agree that it isn't worth making a scene over. We can all survive being separated from our bags for a few hours.

Still, it's annoying. Especially when you really think the flight attendant has it wrong .

Next time, I will take a few photos of her case beneath the seat. Then we'll have proof if we are hassled in the future.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. ken2v

ken2v Wear a mask

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Proof of what? Separation anxiety? Folks just need to chill. Winning and being "right" are not mutually inclusive at all times.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They probably do know what will fit but with all the time they spend checking for explosives and weapons, they probably forget. The airlines are cracking down on gate checking because folks were bringing oversized bags on intentionally and gate checking them to avoid bags fees. Sorry if the girl missed her flight but there is a reason they ask you to be there so early.

As for what will fit underneath, there are dimensions online for some of the airlines and I would suspect that the flight attendants can eyeball a bag and know if it meets.

13. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I cant stand using carry on. There is a whole huge cargo bay on the plane for my stuff. Fly southwest, dont sweat it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is another reason why I fly first class on flights over 3 hours. I am assured dedicated bin space and the under seat room is generous. That being said, since checking my bags are free I don't bring much on the plane. My carry on has a few things to tide me over if the checked bag gets lost and I have a tote bag that is more like a large purse.

I'm really surprised that 1. TSA would care or have any authority of what fits/doesn't fit. 2. The FA didn't even give her a chance to try it under the seat.

I am of the opinion that the airlines started this by charging for checked baggage. That led to a mentality of using a plane as if you were taking a cab, I'm getting on and off and not waiting for my bags. This is especially true for direct flights. I usually have to change in Atlanta, Dallas or Charlotte. I'm not dragging any more crap than I have to and fight the crowds.

I've also overheard people at the gate saying they know their luggage won't fit in the overhead or they get on last so there won't be room just so they can check it at the gate. It saves them the cost of checking and they don't have to wait at the baggage carousel, they get it as they get off the plane. Somebody's always playing the system.

15. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    People want to go to the mat over everything. No, you are not the guy vs the tank in Tiananmen Square. No, you are not Thomas Paine saying "give me liberty or give me death." You are complaining about the number of pickles on your Whopper, and you are holding up the fucking line.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's amazing to see what people "carry-on" and get away with.

I always hear the usual announcement warning at the gate saying that if your baggage does not meet size requirements for carry-on you will be required to check it.

Never happens. When boarding commences people are carrying on board luggage that are twice or 3 times the size of a carry on.

And I believe this never happened before when checked luggage was free.

Of course there are the jerks who don't want to deal with baggage claim....

• Like Like x 3
  17. Geogran

Geogran Whooo. Whooo.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always felt the airlines have it all wrong. If you can't fully squeeze your carryon under the seat and keep your footspace clear, it goes in the overhead. ANY items placed in the overhead will be charged a 'convenience' fee of $50 per item. Plus airline employees need to do their jobs by enforcing size limits of carryon, and if you are forced to check your luggage at the gate because you exceed size limits, you will be charged for it. Only exception is one free overhead carryon per child under a certain age as a nod to parents struggling with stuff to keep a child happy plus their own carryon or for special medical needs. Time to put an end to the gamers who drag on several large pieces of stuff and the 'oh no! no one ever told me there are carryon size limits' folks......geez.
    And we wonder why the plane never leaves on time.

Fees for checking 1 or 2 bags should be greatly reduced or eliminated to encourage folks to check bags.

Once folks start checking bags again rather than overusing and abusing the overheads, order will be restored in the cabins, with less grumblng about slowpokes and overhead hogs, the plane might even leave on time, and all the aisle jostling crap will end so folks can deplane in a timely manner.
    My biggest beef is with the airlines cramming more and more people into smaller and smaller spaces. Flying used to be enjoyable.
    My second biggest beef is standing/sitting for 10-15 minutes after the cabin door is opened while folks take their freaking pokey time getting their 1001 pieces of crap off the plane.

There! I feel all better now.:evillaugh:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Overhead space issues have happened for many years... even 15 years ago when I was flying over 100 flights a year.

And just about all of those were carry on for me as I did not want to deal with checked baggage.

We still travel a half dozen times a year and normally travel with one roll aboard each. Never have a problem putting in the overhead. Maybe I am a jerk for that, but it works just fine. there is almost always enough room, but some JERKS do not know how to stow their luggage to make room for others.

I would agree there is more issues these days due to the baggage fees. Still, I have seen them gate check bags at Southwest and they do not charge for bags.

19. mdlee3_46041

mdlee3_46041 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even if we are working directly at the gate, we have nothing to do with the size of bags that get on. We may say something like, "Are you sure that size of bag will fit?" but we aren't there to enforce airline policies regarding bag size.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    PlaneEqualsBus.jpg

• Agree Agree x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.