1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What's your wild life like?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Happygirl21, Jun 11, 2020.

1. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not in my back yard, but I found this YouTube live Osprey cam from Oyster Bay, Long Island. If you scroll back to 8:11 am this morning, you will see one of Ospreys bring breakfast to the family.

2. rm22

rm22 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha, not too far from me.

Different kind of trip but doing same things
    Continuing Different Type of Trip....
  3. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    morning visitor

upload_2020-6-22_7-5-36.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 2
  4. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

We should start seeing this years batch of these little cuties anytime now:p

5. mescalita

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Moving day for this guy - he got a ride in my truck to his new home...

upload_2020-6-24_14-10-3.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  6. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last two nights here have been wildlife overload.

Monday night at dusk we had two owls. One definitely was a huge great horned owl. The other was either a female great horned owl or a male barred or barn owl. Either there was a dispute over territory if it was two males or it was date night for a pair of great horned owls. I couldn’t tell which scenario it was

Last night a red fox strolled across the bottom of the yard and pounced into the tall grass in the neighbors yard. About the same time one of the neighborhood deer came by to graze in the field behind us.

Can’t wait to see what happens tonight. This is way better than anything on tv.

• Like Like x 1
  7. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't had any interesting wildlife so far this summer, but last year we were leaving the house mid-afternoon and saw a beaver in our front lawn. Apparently there is a pair of beavers known to reside in the small river that runs near our house. They tend to stick to a nature preserve a few miles away, but it seems the allure of the tree branches on our lawn was too much to resist.

Judging by the bite marks on larger tree pieces I've seen and picked up around our property, they come around from time to time. This was the first time I've seen a beaver on my front lawn.

• Like Like x 2
  8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of our neighbors is troubled by swallows building nests under their upper deck and making a total mess of the lower deck. Apparently it's illegal to remove the nests once they are built and occupied.

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our local news said that a homeowner found this in his yard:

[​IMG]

word is that there is a wallaby population in the hills in Oahu. They said that almost a century ago a number of wallaby escaped a zoo pen into the mountains.

• Like Like x 6
  10. mescalita

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oops - this beautiful little one went after the raccoons’ marshmallows. It’s really nice to have the family in our neighborhood.

upload_2020-6-27_8-32-8.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  11. flyguyfl

flyguyfl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    florida bobcat.jpg

A friend caught this guy on camera late 2018. Florida Bobcats and Florida Panthers are rare but we get one ever so often. Black bears and deer seem to over run us as we live next to a national forest.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    • Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of course if you aren't afraid of swimming with sharks in Hawaii, you might be able to meet Deep Blue, supposedly the largest great white shark found so far. Estimated to be over 21 ft long. Found in Hawaii in January, 2019.

What's even more surprising is that they found 2 more huge sharks within days of finding deep blue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckily I don't go swimming past the reefs so don't have to worry about meeting her.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Count de Monet

Count de Monet High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This guy is enjoying a relaxing day on a log in our pond. He's a diamond back water snake as you can tell by his markings.

snake.JPG

Final Attempt for 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  14. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This isn't my backyard but it's about an hour's drive into the mountains from me for a hike I did this morning in Kananaskis, Alberta. First pic is the scenic backdrop (bear is in the shadows but looks like a rock boulder from this distance). Second pic is a fuzzy closeup of a mama grizzly bear with 2 cubs from about 150m away.

I've seen grizzly bears before from a distance and from the safety of a car, but I've never come up close and personal with one in the wild. 5 minutes before taking these pics, I was enjoying an early morning hike when the trail came out of the treeline and into an open alpine meadow. That's when I heard a deep "woof, woof" that came from behind me. I remember thinking, well that can't be good. I turned around expecting to see some wildlife but still at a distance. Well, the bear was only about 20 feet from me and from that distance, it's size was certainly impressive (ie. I peed my pants).

Sad to say that my first reaction was to get a picture. I reached for my phone but stumbled a bit. The bear got up on her hind legs and made louder woofing noises. Ok fine, no pictures. I could see her cubs run behind her so I knew it was a defensive situation and she likely didn't want to eat me. I almost took off running but then I remembered reading never run and never turn your back. So I looked back and she was still on her hind legs so I continued walking in the opposite direction. I would have liked to have backtracked my own steps and get back to the parking lot but she was now blocking my way.

I kept walking forward on the trail and within a minute knew I was ok since she continued digging and foraging for food where I left her. I took these pictures from a distance and she moved on - great except she was moving down the trail I needed to return to! I stayed at the top of the alpine meadow for about an hour which is double what it would normally take to walk. No other hikers came up during this time which I thought was odd given it's a pretty popular trail where one would expect lots of other hikers on a Saturday morning. I thought perhaps someone saw the bear coming down and they've warned everyone to stay off this trail.

After an hour, I decided to make my way down the trail singing my ABC's and 123's while clapping my hands, trying to make as much noise as I could. I'm not a soldier or a police officer but I sure as heck felt like I was walking into a combat situation when the trail went into the woods and visibility was limited. I went slow and methodical making a lot of noise. After what felt like an hour (but was really minutes), I came across 2 other hikers coming up who said they saw the bear closer to the bottom of the trail and was moving on. So relieved!

I just bought bear spray 2 nights ago and will never go into the mountains without it ever again. I'm also rethinking my early morning hikes given that's when a lot of wildlife are active. The trails may be a lot busier mid-day but at least there's lots of people nearby. This morning at 6:40am, I knew no one was around for miles if I needed help. This may be a bit tame for anyone expecting an epic battle with a bear but I now know I don't want to be that close to a grizzly bear ever again. A better picture would have been nice though.

ptcirquebear1.jpg bear july 4th.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    • Love Love x 4
    • Wow! Wow! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband showed me this video. I wasn't sure where to post it. Wildlife... Misc Vegas, Spas?? I'm thinking some of our VMBers may have been drunk/stoned enough to try this. @FormallyTD ??? @duffer1991 ??? @Not at the table Carlos -- friends?? I'm not judging. Stumble down the back alley on Fremont Street??? It does look like he is enjoying himself.

I guess a hooker with a blow dryer would be an equal?

Caesars Palace My 59th Birthday - but who's counting?
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  16. FormallyTD

FormallyTD Big Time

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Valgal, many a folk have tried this, silly. The Aria have toilets that do the exact same thing.

And don't think I've forgotten about you labeling me a heathen (or something similar, at least) in a previous trip report.

You're on the list, buddy.

I had a fun experience with a bat in my garage a few months ago I'll tell you about it some day (since this thread seems to be about animals, n'shit).

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This will be rather tame. Taking a drink from the bird bath yesterday. Beep! Beep!
    1D0A33B6-0EA0-4F1C-9983-FF96902EE86D.jpeg This guy was our guest at Chuy’s one afternoon. We were outside. He was a ham.
    E92DE96B-1F50-4850-80F0-E94D44938FFC.jpeg

At last, and finally it's close.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  18. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right in the middle of Tropical Storm Isiais, I'm watching the wind bending trees and wrecking my garden, rain literally coming down in sheets, I'm sitting in my kitchen looking out on my property when a bunny goes streaking by like a brown blur. I never saw a bunny run that fast. About a second later, I found out why. A coyote came running by right on the same line as the bunny. It wasn't really in that great of a hurry. Sort of like a fast trot. It saw a tasty treat and knew damn right well it was going to win so it was saving it's energy, I guess. Storm be damned, here was dinner and bunny rabbit was not going to get away.

• Like Like x 1
  19. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The rear camera doesn't work on my beloved BlackBerry, so I use the forward "selfie" camera to take photos. This Praying Mantis saw his image on the screen of my phone shortly after this photo was taken and started motioning up and down as if to say "you want a piece of me"? and then jumped towards the phone. This was about 4.5" long.

mantis.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1