1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What's your mid-life crisis?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sconnie

sconnie Downtown Kinda Guy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never rode without a helmet but didn't always wear my leather or armored jacket. Just had jeans a T shirt and helmet on for my accident. Other than a blown up knee I had just one scratch on my elbow and a cut on my lower leg. I doubt that I'll get back into riding but if i do a helmet will continue to always be on the required equipment list. Glad that you were ok without yours!

2. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How come it is, that we all 'retire' from riding after dukin' it out with a car? I never hear "Oh, I just grew weary of the winding road and wind...the hills and sunsets. Lookin' down at the pacific and snakin' through the Appalachians. Yep, just couldn't take it any more so I opted for the four door sedan." :whistle:

3. sconnie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, the dislocated knee, 2 surgeries, ongoing PT, ongoing and probably permanent nerve damage that leaves me with a limp, 9 weeks of non-weight bearing that started the night of the accident, the pain and the fact that I was a "victim" of every rider's nightmare. I was stopped at an intersection waiting to take a left. Lady coming from my right also making a left drove right through my lane and took me out. There was zero that I could have done to avoid the accident, zero % my fault. Made me even more aware of how exposed we are on cycles.

I'm grateful that I didn't have any head trauma or other serious injuries, other than the trashed knee. Radiologist and orthopod both said "that's the worst knee I've even seen" and neither of them were young docs!

That being said, I'm happy to be going to Vegas in 8 days with my buddy JT.

JW

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Four years ago when I turned 50 I purchase a Shelby Mustang as a weekend toy. Two years later I succumbed to a want and not a need and traded my very useful daily driver F250 for a Ford Raptor which the closest it comes to a Baja lifestyle is trips down the beach or the ranch. I don't think of either purchase as a midlife crisis. The Shelby makes me smile every mile and with less than 5000 miles on it there is plenty of smiles left. My Raptor is the most comfortable and smoothest driving truck I have ever owned. It has now become the vehicle we take on longer road trips because of how nice the ride is.

Mark

5. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've also read that book (The Millionaire Next Door) and my takeaway was that people who want to be rich mostly focus on spending money, whereas people who actually are rich mostly focus on making money.

As I find myself at middle age, I want less stuff, not more, as far as non-income producing assets are concerned. I once had a sports car (hand-me-down from my dad) and didn't really like it, because it was too hard to drive on city streets since it basically went 60 MPH in second gear and was really hard to drive anything slower than that, so that kind of scratched that itch.. Now I have a garage full of junk and a house that has a big living room that we never really use. Once the kids are through college, which will be another 15 years from now, my plan is for my wife and I to downsize to one car, a bicycle, a uber account, and a 2 bedroom condo in some place much cheaper to live than here. Then instead of spending money on car insurance, etc - which for several reasons we spend a LOT on- we can spend it on a permanent vacation. If it were up to me, we would get rid of everything, and just be nomads for a few years, maybe going to Paris and renting an apartment for 6 a few months, and then moving on, etc. My uncle, who is in his 60s, just last year got rid of everything and spent a year riding a motorcycle across Mexico, which sounds intriguing. (ok, he still owned a motorcycle, but then he crashed it and that was the end of it and he kept traveling without one.) But my wife seems to like the concept of an actual home so we will have to come to some kind of compromise.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish my biggest worry was having to choose between a rolex or a sports car or similar toys. Right now my neighbors on both sides have cancer and our daughter is going thru a total meltdown and has to move back in with us for who knows how long while we struggle with trying to get her the help she needs to get better. Call this a nearly end of life crisis .

7. IM ALL IN

IM ALL IN High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck with your daughter jerseyguy

• Like Like x 1
  8. ken2v

ken2v Wish I was in Bend

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Life does that to us. Sonya just lost her father. My mom was diagnosed in July, dead by mid-August. Shit happens. Being there for your friends, your daughter, that is plain old fashioned good humanity, what really allows us to leave positive marks in life, and I hope it all turns out as best it can for them and you, jersey.

But don't let it kill the buzz of enjoying life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a balance to save for retirement while also living for today being cognizant tomorrow is not a given.

10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't worry about a mid-life crisis, because you won't have a post-life crisis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks guys,it's not easy.
    on going mess.

12. ken2v

ken2v Wish I was in Bend

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a 2002 Lemond Buenos Aires but I haven't pulled the trigger on the rebuild. Not sure why. Main triangle is 853. I am putting a new BB and crank on my current roader, however. Go get that Audi!

13. sconnie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have had the Audi since May last year. Will out the miles that would have gone on a cycle onto it now!

JW

14. Yall

Yall Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last spring I bought a 42' houseboat (with no motor mind you :haha:) and kept it up in the 1000 Islands all summer.

I'd take Friday's off, drive up from Buffalo, and party all weekend. It was like being 21 all over again. It wasn't necessarily a response to a mid-life crisis, but I'm damn glad I did it when I did!

15. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

No desire for material items, but in my late 50s, I have developed a lust for ultra marathoning. Got a 100-mile race planned next summer. Does that count?

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.