1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What's your mid-life crisis?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v Wish I was in Bend

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's happening, friends are buying Corvettes and getting WAY to informed on hair products and replacement options. We're getting to that magical age of gold chains and the inability to properly button shirts. I'm listening to way too much Heart, for instance.

You? Is there a toy or something out there for you?

I'm obsessing about a new bike. A bicycle, not a Harley. Not some carbon TdF wannabe. I want something in steel, Reynolds 853, maybe custom built. I want it brightly painted. But I'm not a Luddite. I wants discs. SRAM.

2. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't afford a mid-life crisis. Hookers and blow cost a lot.

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas and needing more than 2 weeks a year for vacation is my midlife crisis!

Other than that, nada. It might be sick, but I actually seem to enjoy each decade more than the last.

Uh-oh...talking in "decades" probably isn't a good sign :D

First time in Tahoe!!!
    Mother-Daughter trip-Tower Suite (roll away for me!)
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. ken2v

ken2v Wish I was in Bend

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vacation is key. Thankfully we're far enough past the relocation that my wife is back to having more available time again.

5. Onmyown32

Onmyown32 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think I'm old enough for a mid life crisis...... oh shoot 43 is that midlife!!!!!!! Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!! I am. Not. Old. Enough!!!! My husband who is 32 is definitely not old enough either ;) or is he my "corvette" lol

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Yall

Yall Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm having a midlife crisis of a different sort. 43, no kids and found out my wife is due in April. Now THAT is a crisis! :goofy:

• Like Like x 13
  7. Onmyown32

Onmyown32 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yay!!! Congratulations!

8. Yall

Yall Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! It might even be mine ;)

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Bond

Bond Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, congratulations! I think that definitely counts.

I don't have anything nearly that exciting. I'm a newly empty nester so I'm still acclimating to that. Plus, I decided to go back to school so that's been interesting.

For fun stuff, mostly travel and fitness.

10. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was looking at the Can Am Spyder for three years when I saw this on the showroom floor. All I could think was "I can have THAT?" I tell people it's not a mid-life crisis because my wife picked the color. It took over fifty years for me to make a decision where logic was not a factor.
    IMG_0006.JPG

Laughlin! I
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Jon E Coyote

Jon E Coyote Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No Corvette, but I fixed up my 2011 Mustang GT.

Now I want to sell it and go to Vegas more often lol

12. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief bottle washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been looking at these beauties for three years to but just can't pull the trigger. I think you're going to have a blast as they are great for long distance riding

• Like Like x 1
  13. ken2v

ken2v Wish I was in Bend

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our best friends had a "Catholic, OOPS" baby at 41. They are about the best parents I've ever seen. A bit of maturity and financial stability goes a long way. Congrats and enjoy the changes!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well just above like guy bought a bike.lli been eyeing BMW i8 for past year and I would really like one..yes it's gonna cost well over $140k and I can just see my wife is like "we have two teenagers"!!!! Well...looking doesn't hurt but one day....I shall buy one!!!!

15. fasbman

fasbman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I am stereotypical. I bought one corvette and then another one after that. Getting into the car was easy. Getting out, not so much (especially the time I had my then 84 year old father in the passenger seat)!

PS. Although I have to admit that the new Stingray is one hot looking car.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I want a custom built Jeep Wrangler.

I also want a Rolex.

Both are as impractical as can be. But I want them.

17. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh boy, I got into luxury watches lol I have two Rolex and a panerai watches but for our defense we can/could sell them at pretty much what I bought it for... matter fact I sold my submariner same price what I bought for, worn it for 2 years.
    But man oh man custom Jeep Wrangler!!!! Now we r talking!!! Good luck my friend!!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The million dollar question...is it a midlife crisis, or do we just finally have the means to buy the stuff, do the stuff, say the stuff we wish we could have in our 20's? Who DIDN'T want a can am Spyder, beemer bike, corvette or something similar in our 20's? We just couldn't afford it!

It's not a midlife crisis to me, unless you're derailing and doing things that sabotage your life.

Otherwise, it's just the perk of being older, wiser, more confident and having a little more cashflow!

My great grandmother said at 80 "one of these days I'm gonna grow up." Awesome mindset to live by if embraced responsibly...or semi-responsibly :)

First time in Tahoe!!!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read a fun article on renting a bunch of top end watches, might be almost as fun owning one ? ( enter bad relationship joke)

Dude did a rental on watches I had never even heard of, was invited on yachts and airplanes just because people noticed his watch.

I would love a Rolex.......that might do it for my mid life crisis......I don't know how to drive well enough to want an amazing car.

.....ahhhhhhhhh.....but a 42' Nordic Tug......now yer' talkin' !

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/expensive-watches-command-respect-what-happened-when-i-tested-that

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've seen this on renting high-end watches, and I think it could be very wise, if the situation merits.

I remember years ago a boss gave me a book on how to be a millionaire, and what stuck in my mind, was it's often not the flamboyant lawyers, etc. It's the scrap metal shop owners, the successful cleaning companies, etc. What stood out is that some of the "white collar" professions make tons, but they owe tons in schooling, and they also require tons of cash to keep up the "image"....nice cars, fancy watches, gorgeous suits, etc. Absolutely not knocking lawyers etc., it was just a really interesting insight. (But then I'm a fan of Thomas Sowell, "Basic Economics, A Common Sense Guide to Economics")

Personally, I've always wanted to live comfortably (ok, even very comfortably), but don't care a ton about image, if anything, I like to downplay things versus go for super-flashy.

In some scenarios, a nice watch will sour people, but in others, it can really help. Some professions NEED the stamp of success to gain traction, and if that's the case, I think the idea of renting a high-end watch is is brilliant, and frugal!

Off tangent, but speaking of nice watches, I personally am more impressed by cuff links. They don't have to be expensive, but there is something so elegant and old-world about french cuffs and cufflinks, and it's not expensive!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    First time in Tahoe!!!
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.