1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What's the deal with some IT people?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Valgal, Sep 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A little rant/vent on a recent tiff with our on call IT. Last weekend one of the ER nurses called me to say she was locked in a chart (electronic). She could not chart on that particular patient or any patient. She closed out all her windows, shut down restarted etc. She kept getting an error message that said she had to exit the flowsheet. We discussed all her attempts to correct it and couldn't figure it out. After hours staff has to go through the Nursing Supervisor (me) for approval to call IT. I gave her the go ahead.

It was the beginning of my shift and I was walking through units running errands etc. Next thing I know Peter called (names have been changed to protect the guilty). Peter said he got a call from Mary in the ER about the Meditech issue. Peter said he was not on call Robin was. But Robin was at a football game. He spoke with her about the issue -- these were his words Robin said that the flowsheet error was some thing that Anyone should be able to handle and that I needed to sit down with her at the computer and fix it. I was so po'd I had to get off the phone fast before I dropped about 1000 4 letter words that would probably cost me my job.

I told him I was not an IT person but Thank you so much for all your help - goodbye. I hung up the phone. Made my way to the ER in just a couple of minutes. While in the ER there is a phone call for Mary - it's Peter. She takes the call and motions me over. Puts the call on Speaker phone.

He Says Valgal the nursing supervisor is too inconvenienced to go help you. I lean over the phone and say Peter that is not true I'm here right now. He did some back stepping then. Told Mary he would escalate the call up a level to the company Meditech person. -- I guess because Robin the on call person was at a football game. Issue got resolved but really pissed me off. We had outsourced our off hours Help Desk for over a year. Then they took it back -- with a flyer of a person pulling their hair out - and wording that said You spoke and we listened. Help shouldn't look like this. I'd rather go back to speaking to the offsite Help Desk people -- they always sounded stoned but at least they were nice.

Then two nights ago. Spectrum - our internet provided and phones etc. went down. We lost our electronic charting. I had to call the Operator to notify IT -- oh what joy - Peter is on. IT is supposed to communicate with me about what is going on. He only talked to the operator - he wouldn't talk to me. It took 2 hours for Spectrum to come back on and the hospital electronic charting to be restored and I didn't speak to IT one time.

I have it on good authority the IT people are always trashing the nurses for being lazy and stupid. My son is the top IT security officer at a bank. I am going to see him Saturday - he's BBQing for my birthday. I'm going to walk up and slap him in the back of the head -- just for good measure. -- I love my son but he is a smart ass and I'm sure he has pissed off a few people at the bank.

• Wow! Wow! x 4
  2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Easy fix. Talk to their IT supervisor. Or have your supervisor talk to theirs. Their job is to make sure you can do yours.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Escalate to the next level in any case an on-call rep or vendor blows you off! They are being paid to take care of you and they are not doing so!

4. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well Peter is also a hospital employee. I called the ER Director at home -- and she knows I never call her. But I had to vent. There is another IT Help Desk employee that is worse than Peter. I can cut him some slack because he is a high functioning Autistic - I still don't think he needs to be on the Help Desk.

Screenshot 2019-09-13 at 10.16.37 AM.png

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm, this could explain why I would get "flotched" for no apparent reason.

6. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As someone who works in IT as senior level help desk, that should have been handled differently.

Going forward, in a situation like that I would escalate. If the on call tech couldn’t assist you, then they should have contacted someone else on the team (higher up) to assist. Getting locked out of a chart is typically a work stoppage issue, and should be triaged as higher priority then say “I don’t know how to do X in Word” or “my Adobe needs updating”.

Peter’s comments to your colleague were uncalled for.

As for the internet outage, most of the time that is beyond control of your staff It in terms of fixing, however Peter should have spoken to you letting you know that they were working on resolving the issue as quick as possible, etc. When I worked IT in healthcare (super stressful and it was not fun getting bitched at by doctors - nurses were easier to work with), I was always respectful and nice. We had internet outages a couple times, and in those cases, our hospitals and affiliate offices had “paper procedures” in place in the event that it wasn’t a quick fix. I would talk with your team or a higher up about that also, and see if those are not protocols in place currently, if it is something you could implement to maintain productivity during an outage.

I can’t remember some of the software we supported off hand.

I wouldn’t slap your son on the back of the head ;) I know what you mean, but just because you have a poor IT team with lack of respect and customer service doesn’t mean your son sucks at his job. Security at a bank sounds stressful too, but if he’s being trusted to work in a financial institution, he’s probably good at it! Good for him.

- signed, the IT gal who’s worked in a slew of industries :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was blessed for most of my last 15 years or so with excellent in-house IT resources. A cool bunch of younger folks very eager to help.

My dreaded monster nemesis was NMCI (Navy Marine Corps Internet), a baffling entity that would push programs that you didn't want or need, would take hours to download, didn't work as proposed and when you had to call for help, you would get someone in Idaho who was clueless as to even what you were talking about.

• Love Love x 1
  8. DESPERADO

DESPERADO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :wave: com.gif :beer:

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. RedRiverRose

RedRiverRose High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I understand your vent. These kind of issues happened all the time with the outsourced IT folks when I was working. I am glad I am retired.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, at least you didn't get someone in Southern Asia, who you can't possibly understand their English, but who just prattles on and on about something or other because by this point, you have set the phone down on your desk and are holding your head in your hands and wondering if this is going to fuck up lunch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Antidoctal only...As computers became a thing in our workplace, my engineering department handled all the concerns. Then a decade passes and management decides they need an IT department. Granted the way things were multiplying, they would have needed to hire more of us "over paid" engineers to keep up.

So enter the new IT department. I have never met a bigger bunch of assholes in my life. Pompous, rude, arrogant etc. This is all history because I've been retired almost 12 years.

This is one of my favorite memories of those people. I am out on the loading dock to get a bit of fresh air on my break. The loading dock is where the garbage and recycling dumpsters reside. Anyway one of those people comes out with 3 computer boxes and just throws them in the dumpster. I said to him, aren't you going to break those down? His reply: My time is too valuable to the company to break down boxes. My reply: If it takes you that long to break down 3 boxes, you aren't worth shit to the company. Oh, that felt good!
    End of rant.

38th anniversary and keep taking advantage of the Companion Pass
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The on-call IT person should not have been at a football game. It's IT's responsibility to have an on-call person available. You are not responsible to be an IT person. That's ITs fault. IMHO, your supervisor should read the IT supervisor the riot act.

Last GGWU booster event . . . . . Yay!!
    First GGWU/HGS ballroom event
    • Agree Agree x 5
  13. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In ten years most of those iT help desk people will be replaced by computers (Oh the Irony). Self learning, intelligent computers. That don't go to football games or talk shit to you.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We do have procedures for downtime paper charting etc. scheduled downtime we are ready for. Unplanned is more difficult. I have access to this dashboard that has all kinds of things in a language I don’t understand.

The problem is after hours we are supposed to contact IT for Life and death situations only. Hello we are a hospital. If the nurse can’t get into your chart to read the doctors orders and give you the appropriate medications we can’t help you. IT usually has no urgency after hours unless a higher up is involved.

I do have my quarterly meeting soon with my boss— the Director of Nursing. I’ll be sharing my experience with her.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am very lucky that we're small enough that we do not have a formal "Help Desk" but one of the systems people is always "Primary" and is the point of contact. They are all my good buds and we help each other out.

That's internal.

External depends on time, place, circumstance and the phase of the moon, particularly when our clients are concerned. If you noticed that I'm less active here this week, it's because I've been involved with, almost literally, Lawyers, Guns and Money (well, 2 out of 3) and an out of compliance contract for services!

What you might do is familiarize yourself with the various standards and metrics that apply to you and your IT providers. (Often called SLAs - Service Level Agreements.) One very important one is mean time to respond or (if you're lucky) worst-case time to respond.

Another is mean time to restore. (Worst case time to restore is seldom stated or negotiated.)

Also be aware of any negotiated penalties (often called "fines") for out of compliance.

Please be nice to your service folks, but if they are not nice back to you, get arrogant, demeaning, huffy or just blow you off, escalate! If an on-call POC ever told me he could not help because he was at a football game, I know I would have started immediately working up the ladder, getting people out of bed if needed.

I've worked in a hospital, and when I did we had 24x7 on call folks for both systems (IT) and clinical (Biomed) who would respond if needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. idtwins

idtwins Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know this isn't worth much, but I'm sorry that happened to you @Valgal. I currently work as a programmer in IT for a large healthcare company and I've seen the type you're describing many times. But we're not all like that! I start my on call rotation today. I promise I am not going to any football games. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  17. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In a meeting once, several years ago, a squabble developed between the IT guy & several others of us in the meeting.
    Finally, I raised my voice a little and declared, "Somebody needs to remind all of the IT people that y'all are a SUPPORT department! The only reason you're here is to help us to do our jobs better!"
    Room got quiet... the IT guy got a bit more conciliatory and then the meeting moved on.

Later that day, I got several e-mails from others in the meeting, thanking me for calling them on it.

• Like Like x 3
  18. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What a lot of IT people fail to realize is that they are a "necessary expense". They don't "make any income" for the company other than keeping the people who do "make the income" productive.

This coming from a former IT person for a financial institution. You realize that you are just a line item on the expense side of the balance sheet and can be replaced at any time or contracted out.

It made me appreciate my job a lot more and work towards keeping the traders trading and the rest of the people working.

Last GGWU booster event . . . . . Yay!!
    First GGWU/HGS ballroom event
    • Like Like x 1
  19. tmoney25

tmoney25 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm an IT Manager and we run the help desk during business hours and offer on-call during the hours all of our branches are open outside of our main office hours. We have an on-call policy that stipulates what people can call us for. Main business function is not working? Call us! Can't figure out where your favorite font in Word went to? Email the help desk for next business day response. Stuff like that. We also do not provide them with guaranteed response times let alone guaranteed resolution times. Our on-call is stipulated to be best effort. Many of the issues that would arise are likely due to a software vendor and we're limited to their response.

It's a win-win. We get to say, we'll try to fix it and they understand that we're being interrupted after hours. Our department's unwritten rule is to respond to a call within 20 minutes and we have developed a good reputation and with our end users. I was at my son's soccer tournament and took a call and had to tell them my situation and that I'm about 15 minutes away from either home or office. They were understanding and no complaints were received.

If you have a well written on-call policy and procedures and the end users are aware of said document(s) then you are well on your way to create less frustrations. You also have to have good staff and management. When I was on the on-call rotation my manager was demanding and he expected us to stay at home and do nothing during our on-call shifts so we can remote into the network and fix the problem. He wanted all situations solved within 20 minutes. Not reasonable and not all of us would put forth a good effort when on-call. That created a problem that I had to fix when I took over the manger role.

I tell my staff to make their best effort. Go out and get your groceries or go to a family function, but be prepared to do what you need to do, or work something out with the end-user if you can't immediately drop what you're doing. The guys on staff now are very good and reliable and make a better than best effort to respond quickly to true emergencies. We also have an offline process for the end-user to use to buy us time to get working on resolutions. However, I did have to fire somebody because his level of service was terrible. He never changed his attitude after the previous manager left. There were many complaints about him and people wouldn't call help desk or on-call because they didn't want to deal with him.

It works well for all sides if you can get everybody to believe that they're all a part of the same team with the same end goal for each situation.

• Like Like x 1
  20. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While I can understand your issue with a snotty response from IT, that's not helpful, but I'm trying to understand what was broken, was it a program created internally or an off the shelf software program.
    I used to be a various stages of IT. From the bottom to an IT Manager. There was a time I was on Call everyday of the year. It wasn't fun and I was way underpaid. Everyone wants to blame someone else. Except it seemed like the solution no matter what the problem was let's call "O"(me). I can't tell you how many times I got called at midnight when the problem started while I was still in the office at 6PM. Sometimes the answer can't be fixed by the company IT guy sometimes the problem lies with the company that created the software. People are not perfect, their programs are not always perfect. Sometimes the people inputing data maybe entering something that is not handled by a program.

So was the problem fixed? If so, do you know what was the cause and solution.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.