1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What will happen to the Monorail???

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Mrazzo, Sep 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrazzo

Mrazzo Baller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember riding on the Seattle monorail as a youngster. What have other cities done with theirs? I’m curious. Are they upgradeable? Sounds like they bought it to get rid of a noncompete clause. Elon Musk can now build an underground subway? Kind of sounds like that is the plan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AlPal

AlPal Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My hope is that it will extend to downtown, maybe even the airport. That would really be beneficial to me.

Trip 55 Super Bowl weekend with some friends
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mrazzo

Mrazzo Baller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think the monorail ever will. Maybe a new project will. It makes sense to connect everything

5. TableToddyy

TableToddyy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe Disney will buy it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure that when this stupid {f-bomb}ing pandemic is over, it will begin running again. I hope they make it 24*7, as a few times I've approached it just as it was turning into a pumpkin and ended up paying for a taxi.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hockeylade

Hockeylade Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A practical solution would have been a subway under LV Blvd from the airport, down the strip, perhaps to downtown. I get that cabbies union would never go for that, but it would go a long way to solve the traffic on LV Blvd, while being practical and offer easy access for resorts on both sides of the strip.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. TableToddyy

TableToddyy High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Location, location, location. Should have been built center Strip. Will never ride at its current location

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The tax base is getting killed due to covid, so private money might be the only option. I always thought monorail would kill it, but I was wrong. Maybe Musk's plan will work.
    Anyone remember the original monorail? Rode it once just because. I think it started at MGM or Ballys and headed north, but I can't remember how far.

10. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah. It’s too bad it wasn’t elevated minimally for buses right down the middle of the strip with stops at the overhead walkways. Not door to door but better than what is has turned into I think.
    But I get it. The cabs were offering a reputable service at a fair price with impeccable personalities focused solely on YOU the customer. :)
    Used to be the most dreaded part of my trip before I discovered the WAX and now Uber wax
    It’s all about the shine. :woohoo:

Hoping things have improved………for all of us
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've used the monorail numerous times over the years, it can be a good mode of transportation depending on where you're headed. I was stoked when it was announced that the monorail was looking to expand to Mandalay Bay, but that was a few years ago and my hope for that is diminishing. From what I recall, it's very pricey to expand this type of monorail system, so this current model might be dead. Musk's system is showing promise and I would love to see it expanded down the strip with stops on both sides of the strip.

12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember how hard the taxicab mafia worked to block it. Only to get knocked down by uber and lyft. As Nelson would say..."ha ha".

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, now the Rideshare Mafia will be opposing the Monorail and the Boring Company Subway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s not so boring as just tasteless....:eek:

Hoping things have improved………for all of us
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly.
    Never ridden monorail due to not being convenient/cost. Have rode on the various free trams, I feel though those are more novelty than able to handle huge volumes of people.
    Something down/under the strip has potential. The environmental benefits would be good also.
    I still don't see how Musk's tunnel with vehicles will handle large volumes of people. Maybe if they put in an actual hyperloop/train instead of cars in tunnels. Distances aren't that huge so I don't think obtaining super high speed is as much of an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in 2019 at the last event I attended at LVCC, they had some preliminary dreams for the Boring Subway on display, and it was my impression that they would be using real people moving vehicles in the tunnels, as in enough capacity to handle the mob when a large lecture concluded and everyone wanted to get back to the main part of the CC or the Monorail all at once. I also remember plans for a "station" underground as a transfer point to the Monorail, under the parking lot just northeast of the corner of DI and Paradise.

17. Mrazzo

Mrazzo Baller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One thing is clear, the current monorail is NOT profitable or sustainable and any alternative that hopes to BE profitable needs to connect to the airport and most likely to Downtown.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. pirviii

pirviii Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The current monorail was a good start, but after decades and not connecting to the airport or downtown made it stagnate. To continue it will need to be more useful to more people. the pipe dream to extend to MB to possibly ride the coat tails of a walkway across the interstate to the stadium is not going to happen either. I will miss the monorail if/when it's gone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only time I have used the monorail is on trips when I went for Lightfair which was held at the Convention Center at Westgate. It would be nice if it was extended to downtown.

Mark

20. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There were always intentions to extend the Monorail to both downtown and the airport, and both were torpedoed, with the source of said torpedoes being subject to speculation and debate. The downtown extension, IIRC, was scrapped following one or more incidents of items suspiciously "falling" from the vehicles or tracks.

There are current plans, which I don't know the status of, to extend it to the new stadium.

There was also an original provision to run a branch up or parallel to Convention Center drive, and you can see the provisions very clearly along the route.

There was speculation that the taxi industry was involved in the pressure to scrap the downtown and airport plans, but who really knows? I do know that at the time it was being constructed and opening, the taxi drivers most definitely badmouthed it.

There was also some obvious hostility to the project expressed on the old alt.vacation.las-vegas newsfroup.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.