1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What to make for dinner 2021+

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Oct 6, 2017.

1. NittyOne

NittyOne VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any post braised pics?

2. ken2v

ken2v That was awesome

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope. We get to that point and I often forget photos. EAT!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last night I brought my family to the local Japanese Hibachi restaurant for oldest Daughter’s Birthday. Good times were had by all. The Hibachi chefs were a riot. So much fun while stuffing ourselves! My second daughter is the one with the Heineken. She takes after me in my younger days... And no, I am nowhere in the pics!!:p
    224E0D04-077F-41BD-955C-111C2DC2F5B7.jpeg A732A48F-EABC-43ED-9AAD-A006684238A4.jpeg 0D3F00C4-E5AA-4F68-BB99-95C7E35F2447.jpeg 2A2240E5-1E13-4268-822C-88AAD63C6F51.jpeg E5160D00-CB1E-456B-9285-D5A5AF5300B4.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 4
  4. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your post just made my day, @Electroguy563!
    Lots of smiles! :D

Thanks for sharing! :wave:

RICHARD

• Like Like x 4
  5. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A couple weeks ago, I picked up a corned beef brisket on sale, the kind for St. Patty's day with the seasoning packet. I think it was $.99 a lb with a shoppers card and I had never made one before, into the meat drawer it went. Yesterday I looked at it and it was within a week of its "best use" date, so I went online for a recipe. I didn't want to do the potato, carrot, and cabbage thing, I just wanted a corned beef sandwich.

I have a love/hate relationship with my Instant Pot, I like the simplicity of it, but I hate that some of the recipes don't include the time to pressure up and down; in some cases I would just say screw it and use the Dutch oven.

This recipe was pretty simple, trim the visible fat from a 4 lb brisket, one chopped onion on top, then pour in 3 cups of chicken stock/broth around the meat, then sprinkle the packet of seasonings. Set it on high pressure for 90 minutes, I started it around noon as I'm working out of the house.

I removed it and let the pressure go down. I set it on the counter for about an hour, then put it in the fridge. I didn't have my favorite Pechter's Rye from Harrison, NJ, but it turned out pretty well.

• Like Like x 3
  6. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last night I made a hurried meal in between power outages - leftover pulled pork from freezer, coleslaw, leftover pesto & sausage stuffed bread (or calzone - can't actually remember what I used as crust?)

We had a whole house generator installed Monday. Well, sort of. For years we've had a small generator we use for power outages - my husband wired the system so this generator (gas powered) would connect to 2 or 3 circuits with what we want on during outages (and we've modified in the 20 yrs since we built - and I mean since my husband built, since he did almost the entire house himself) Anyway - we disabled that system in preparation for Monday. Hubs dug 265 ft of trench (2 ft deep) between the propane tank (where the new generator is now sitting) and the electrical panel in our house. But the new generator is not active because gas regulators are out of stock, so we have at least 2 more visits - gas hookup when the regulators are available (and all of those inspections) and then the testing visit, wifi set up etc. UGH.

So last night we lost power. WTF??!! Brought the smaller generator up to porch and used extension cord to power a reading light and a fan - just the basics, thank you very much. Figured I'd do something on the grill for dinner, hoping not to open fridges or freezes too often. Power came on at 630 and I threw some food together. Power back off at 8.....BUT it came on before bed, thankfully, because otherwise we KNOW it would have all come on at midnight, and some of our things have alarms and bells and you never know what lights you've left on either......

• Like Like x 1
  7. ken2v

ken2v That was awesome

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back from the meat shop with German and Italian sausage. Gonna do a roasted sizzle tonight with bells, poblanos, fennel, onions, garlic and rabe.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't done a ton of cooking last couple months due to crazy work. Got back on the horse this past weekend and forgot to take pics! Fired up the BBQ and did grilled halibut with a Bobby Flay recipe. It was ok but even after marinating overnight, halibut was still a bit on the bland side especially for Bobby! Garlic, rosemary, lemon, salt pepper and olive oil.

Started off the meal with a my summer favourite Gazpacho plus a nice fresh strawberry salad with candied walnuts.

9. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pechter's is a good rye bread. I buy Levy's if I can find it, it's a decent substitute.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ken2v

ken2v That was awesome

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stage one, German sausage on the grill.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  11. ken2v

ken2v That was awesome

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stage two, veggies going in for a roast.

i9B5laHbQnqejVeT+yBXQw.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nothing can go wrong when you get German and Italian together :) (too soon?)

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. NittyOne

NittyOne VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that means they where exceptionally good! I wanted to see them as this seems right up my alley.

14. NittyOne

NittyOne VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For some reason the backyard bbq in Goodfellas came to mind.

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. ken2v

ken2v That was awesome

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's the Tuscan-style pork ribs recipe from the NY Times Cookbook.

16. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I took the Hyperscorpion out to Kim Tar (a local Chinese restaurant/Delicatessen) to get:
    half a roast duck
    upload_2021-6-11_11-42-50.png
    Char siew
    upload_2021-6-11_11-43-26.png
    To go with the Won Ton that I made this morning
    upload_2021-6-11_11-43-51.png
    Finished product
    Duck_char_siew_wonton.jpg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Silver Strike Slot tournament - Yay!!
    Sterling comp night, the day before the Silver Strike Tournament!!
    • Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 2
  17. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never used to like cooking shows (and still don't like Food Network) but recently I've discovered I'm PBS old. I'm watching Milk Kitchen and they're making Vietnamese caramel chicken and I thought - bet that would be great with salmon. Went to their website to get the recipe and sure enough - they list the salmon (and pork) options as well. That's totally on the menu in the next week or so! I do have a bad history with caramel, though, so I'm a little worried

• Like Like x 2
  18. ken2v

ken2v That was awesome

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Food Network has gone to shit.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. thegov2k2

thegov2k2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you like contrived cooking competitions, though, it's great!

20. donfairplay

donfairplay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's probably a generation of people (gen z, zoomers or whatever you call them) who when asked about Food Network they'll respond "oh that channel with 24/7 food reality competition shows."

• Agree Agree x 1