1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What to do when you get a layoff notice?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by RealSolGlow, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RealSolGlow

RealSolGlow MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, when your job is cut most people would sulk and get down on their luck. Not a degen like myself (and others here, you know who you are!) We chin up, head to spirit.com and book our flight to Vegas.

Last day of work is June 23rd. Flight to Vegas is June 24th. Coming back June 28th. Staying at MGM Grand. R/T for $200 on Spirit. I know people hate them but the price is just unbeatable.

Look for another live (probably not) live trip report from the accused "troll" of the VMB.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you have any idea the layoff was coming?

3. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sorry about the news. But, you sound like the kind of guy who always lands on his feet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I celebrate!! srs. I got laid of mud february this year and have yet to even think of looking for a job. Went to laughlin right away and plan on another trip next week. I spent a while when i was working paying off most of my bills so I can afford to not work until august/ sep timeframe. matter of fact, I plan on taking a few months off every year from now on. Working sucks. not working is so much better then working.

I have been drinking beer, riding my motorcycle, working on artwork, you name it. its great. of course not drinking and driving.

• Like Like x 1
  5. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Won't hold my breath waiting for updates to your live report :). You can always write the report post trip; that may work better.

• Like Like x 2
  6. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What kind of artwork Eddie? I'd love to see some.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. RealSolGlow

RealSolGlow MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a pretty good idea three months ago. Then two months ago a Union official tapped me on the shoulder and told me to not be surprised if some sort of news came around for the end of the month. I pretty much had an idea so I started to put different wheels in motion. I work for GM. They are cutting a shift at my plant (Warren, MI....google it, it's there) and was just announced. As I said, I have put the wheels in motion for something new but that doesn't happen until August. So, I was going to go to Vegas July 4th week but when I checked the prices for June 24th til the 28th I couldn't pass it up.

What's better? My buddy and I went to the airport to book his tickets today and they were $40 cheaper at the airport. Gave them my spirit # and they refunded the amount of the difference back to me in the form of free seat upgrades (the big seats.) So.....already a win for the trip.

Not to mention once we left the airport we stopped at a Hooters and scored the girls # and she's been texting ever since. I guess the soon to be trip is already paying off. I just don't want to use all the luck before I get there!

• Like Like x 1
  8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are laid off and have a choice of a single check, or multiple paychecks, take the lump sum. You not draw unemployment while checks are still coming in.

• Informative Informative x 3
  9. RealSolGlow

RealSolGlow MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We don't have that option. We get unemployment then the Union makes up the difference in sub pay up to 90% of our pay. However, I will be attending school via a grant for robotics programming and controls to learn a new trade.

• Like Like x 2
  10. cphllps

cphllps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck with school. Which GM plant in Warren?

11. RealSolGlow

RealSolGlow MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Powertrain. It sucks because if they would have let me walk Friday when they gave me my papers I could have gotten into the classes in June/July. Now, because of waiting two weeks for the 23rd I have to wait until August to get in. So, I've decided to get the July Detroit Tigers digital baseball pass when it goes on sale. 10 games for $49.99. I'll have plenty of free time in July to take in the games. After being on afternoons for the last 8 years I'll be able to enjoy my nights. Plus the baseball pass will keep me away from Vegas. Maybe. :woohoo:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the club. My current job is good through the end of July. This will be my fourth time since 1988 getting laid off.

My last lay-off happened in 2010, I got 20 weeks of severance pay in a lump sum. Department of Labor in Georgia said I wouldn't be eligible for unemployment for 20 weeks since I got 20 weeks of severance pay. Do the rules vary by state?

13. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They very easily could. Search "georgia severance pay unemployment" and see what you get. I just did it for MA and was a little surprised - a court made a distinction between situations where you have to sign a release of claims against your employer in order to get the pay, and where you don't.

If you have to sign a release of claims, it's basically considered that they are paying you in exchange for the release, and you can collect right away. If you don't have to sign a release, it's considered a continuation of pay and you have to wait until the appropriate number of weeks passes, but your eligibility period at the other end is extended by the same number of weeks.

14. RealSolGlow

RealSolGlow MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What Chuck said....if you didn't sign a single thing you should be able to collect right away. The company gave you severance when they "fired" you. You didn't quit or get discharged for any reason of your own so you should be eligible for unemployment on Day 1 of your separation.

15. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The other way around, at least when it comes to signing a release of claims.

If you sign a release of claims, mainly you are giving up any recourse you might have to sue your employer for wrongful termination for whatever reason. The Mass. court looked at that and said "if you don't get anything without signing the release, then waiving your rights is what they're paying you for." And so you're considered unemployed right away.

If they just give you the money without you having to give up your right to sue them, then it's considered a continuation of salary, and you're not considered unemployed until the equivalent number of weeks passes.

This all pertains to a generic situation. I imagine union arrangements could introduce wrinkles into it, but no idea what.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a retired Autoworker, I can understand your fearless attitude, 90 % of pay, schooling, TRA, and the probability of being called back, or the ability to move to another plant, the probability that you will get that lay off time made whole for Retirement pay. But most people don't get that. ENJOY YOU HARD WON BENEFITS!

17. RealSolGlow

RealSolGlow MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    luxorvegasshort.jpg

Three days out! Yes, a shave is needed but sporting the Luxor shirt today. Tomorrow will be a different Vegas shirt and Friday yet another one. Staying at the Luxor this trip so went with this one first!

• Like Like x 1
  18. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. Every state writes their own rules, and small print.

A friend recently was laid off. Got a dollar amount that was "EQUAL" to a months pay. If she said she was still getting paid for a month, no unemployment. If she said her last paycheck was this week, then she would be eligible in another week. Often it is tied to what YOU call it.

Personally, I look at it as you are not WORKING or EARNING an income and unemployed. Some states think about it differently.

19. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This can vary state by state, you'd need to check the laws of your state. Some states just ignore it.

Return to Greatness
  20. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And the latter can also happen in some states. you really have to look at the laws where you live.

Return to Greatness
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.