1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What talent or skill do you wish you had that you don't?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by GrPa, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrPa

GrPa Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish I was mechanically inclined. There's a reason why I sit behind a desk all day. It's weird but I feel more comfortable tearing apart a computer than an engine. And I'm not that great with computers!

I wish I could dance. Our only daughter may be getting married in the near future (he hasn't asked her yet but they've talked about it extensively) and I'm already thinking about the dance with her on their special day.​

How about you?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my leisure life, I wish I could draw or paint. My mom and sister both have painted some great things, but mine always looks like a kindergarten art project. I can knit a pretty awesome sweater, but can't seem to operate a paint brush or pencil.

In my job, I wish I was much better with writing code. It used to be that you could admin a forum with little to no coding knowledge. Not quite as true anymore as software gets more customized and complex. I know enough to be dangerous around here and break things. But that's about where my coding skills end. I've been trying to customize a new toy for the board for over a year, but I keep screwing it up and having to start at square one again. :(

• Like Like x 2
  3. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish I had even a glimpse of musical or artistic talent, but I can't carry a tune without a bucket and the only painting I excel at is solid color walls....

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish I was fluent in a foreign language. I know some French and Spanish but I think I would have to immerse myself to be truly fluent. Immersion would entail living somewhere that French/Spanish is the native language. There's no way my husband would go for that.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  5. ken2v

ken2v Wear a mask

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    ???

A couple languages would be nice. I've just been lazy. Maybe being less deadline-is-it oriented, actually working in advance. But I'm not sure what that would do to the production process. Oh, that mechanical thing would be nice, too.

6. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it sound like you guys have already hit them all for me.
    dance, sing, foreign language. being a good handy-man and able to work on cars sure would save me a fortune. just think of the money I could be blowing in Vegas. and also, I wish I could sleep.

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spanish? It's the native language in some parts of New Jersey.

As for skill, I wish I were a little more handy around the house. I would like to remodel two bathrooms, nothing fancy, I will probably pay a contractor to do it.

8. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish I was good at math,I could figure out how much money I was losing in AC while I was there instead of getting home and wondering where all that cash went.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    agree on the dance....last time it looked like i was having a full body dry heave

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My dad could play guitar and ukulele very well. Unfortunately I don't have that talent and I wish that somehow I could have learned that from him. I can sing karaoke but other than that I have no real musical talent. My roommate in college also had a similar talent, he could hear guitar or piano music and could recreate the sounds just by listening to it. Me? I couldn't distinguish one note from another.

I wish that I had the ability to pick up languages easily. I took 4 years of Spanish in high school and 4 years of Japanese in college, yet I can't really speak or understand them very easily. Yet I have some relatives and friends who can pick up a language easily. I could never understand the breakdown of language structures while others have an easier time doing it.

I wish that I could be good handiman or fixer of things. I call myself a "broke-anic" when it comes to fixing things.

I wish that I could fly a plane. 25 years ago I had friends who owned a plane and visited them when they were at the hangar. Was interesting.

I am more of a procrastinator and not someone who takes a leap of fate. Sometimes I wish that I could somehow have taken that leap of fate, maybe I wouldn't be in such a boring job now. I got job offers in Cali and at Boeing but since the money wasn't that good I decided to stay in Hawaii. I wonder how my life would have turned out had I taken that leap and moved to the mainland to work.

I wish that I could dance decently. I have 2 left feet so embarrassed trying to dance.

I wish I could be like superman and fly.

I wish I could count cards but look obvious doing it.

I wish I could read minds.

I wish that I could lose weight and have an awesome bod. Like the Rock I have a friend who can make his pecs "bounce", would be nice if I could do that.

Wish that I could bowl/golf/play tennis/play sports .....you name it, better.

Wish that I had a green thumb. I kill everything, even cactus plants.

And these are just the stuff off the top of my head, lol.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  11. Geogran

Geogran Whooo. Whooo.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish I could carry a tune - as a child I loved singing in our church choir (the choir director was too polite and kind to tell me the truth about how off tune I was). When I tried out for choir in high school, the choir director didn't mince words and told me to stick with clarinet in our high school band, which I did, and quite well thank you very much. After I married and had children, I croaked my way through all the children's music and bedtime lullabies with a lot of help from my more talented husband.
    Next up, my grandsons, who smiled and genuinely enjoyed my rocking and lullabies - at least they never asked me to stop :D. Now they entertain me with their singing and dancing - luckily both have great voices and can carry a tune - both belt out their tunes at the top of their lungs in the shower, lol. That's not a bad tradeoff.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish I could swim.
    In high school gym class I was dubbed The Anchor--not because I was last in the relay, but because I sank to the bottom pretty fast! :confused:

RICHARD

The Alperts Take Polo Towers!
    • Funny Funny x 6
  13. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bringing him along, or leaving him behind? :poke: :D

Immersion worked for me learning how to speak using just VMB Smilies.
    Here's a paragraph describing my day:

:kiss::love::licklips: :wink2: :feedme: :biker::feedme: :cuss::haha::beer: :goofy::biker: :feedme::haha::faint:

Oops, I forgot to indent!

RICHARD

The Alperts Take Polo Towers!
  14. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been blessed with the gift of singing. But I wish I could play the piano.

15. CaptCampion

CaptCampion High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a good musician. It just makes sense to me. So I'm lucky with that.

However, my handyman skills pretty much stop at changing light bulbs. Most of that DOESN'T make sense to me, and I don't trust myself to make mistakes.

16. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish I could know which slot machines were about to pay around $1,150 or so. Then I'd just live tax free for like $4 million a year.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I want to change my answer to copy @bdautch

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Geogran

Geogran Whooo. Whooo.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Remember the old adage 'It's sink or swim' ?
    Look at it this way - you are halfway there! :haha:

• Like Like x 2
  19. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wish I was charismatic, able to chat people up, especially women. I also wish I could handle myself in a fight, not a tough guy jerk, just not worry about what would happen if I was attacked or in a fight.

20. Hoofy7

Hoofy7 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's never too late.....to be superman! ;) Your list is like mine. Quite a few of my kids are very artistic and/or musical. They sing and all play multiple instruments. One of my daughters speaks fluent Chinese. It amazes me how our children have all the talents and skills that I wish I had! Lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.