1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What? No Peanuts? Why I oughtta...

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by smartone, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess the peanut-allergy thing is legit. There've been a couple times when I've eaten prior to getting on the plane and turned down the peanuts and man... when everyone opened their bags, the smell of peanuts and I suppose the micro-dust of them really was very prevalent! I never noticed it when I'm partaking as well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was in a Safety class and they served up danish and coffee. No one said there were peanuts in them. One of the participants was this big, burly Navy Chief Petty Officer. He ate one with the peanuts and went straight down for the count. They gave his CPR and rushed him to the hospital. Anaphylactic Shock, I think.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  3. STPFan

STPFan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few months ago this news would have really bummed me out but with the recent discovery that my 9 month old grandson is allergic to peanuts I am kind of relieved.

At this point he is not allergic to the dust, only directly eating them, but darn is he fast to finding things and popping them in his mouth. We have two family getaways planned and have southwest flights so this is good news for us.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Geogran

Geogran mama owl

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wait until my poor husband finds out. He always takes along a drink ticket ot two. Then he does this weird thing every single trip, he orders Dr Pepper, pours his little bag of peanuts into it, (that I have to tear open since he is peanut foil bag challenged) and he's a happy camper. He often gives his drink ticket to a fellow passenger.

5. rhinoman7

rhinoman7 A Diamond in the Ruff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been on a few SW flights where they have announced that peanuts will not be served due to passenger(s) having a peanut allergy. They also advise you not to open anything of your own that has peanuts.

Ironically enough, be sure to read the bag of pretzels when you get it. I keep meaning to save one so that I can remember exactly what it says on the bag, but I always forget. Somewhere on the bag there is a warning that the pretzels may contain peanut dust because of where they were packed. (Or something to that effect) CRAZY!!!!!

6. rhinoman7

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Found this in a Denver Post article on the subject:

"Southwest said it will let customers with peanut allergies board early to wipe down seats and tray tables, and encourages them to indicate their allergy when booking a ticket."

Free EB???

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On our flight back from Seattle on July 17th, no problems getting peanuts.

8. rhinoman7

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The "No Peanuts Policy" starts on August 1st.

9. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I suppose you can still buy peanuts in the gift shops and take them onboard, or do they now conduct a contraband peanut strip search?

As for drinks, I know someone who brings his own, holds onto the empties, and refills them at home for a fraction of the rip-off prices the airlines charge. Of course, I'd never do such a cheap and forbidden thing!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny you should say that. I freakin LOVE sardines but really rarely ever eat them (even at home) because of the smell possibly bothering other people. Maybe that’s why I have no tolerance for inconsiderate smokers.

11. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love peanuts and think this is silly. I don't understand why they have to get rid of them entirely, people have the option not to eat them or could have pretzels or a snack they brought instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. dreric

dreric Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was on a SW flight a year or so ago, and they announced that no peanuts would be served on that flight. They also asked that passengers not open peanut containing foods.
    One of the passengers a row ahead of us commented that he was bummed for no peanuts, as he loved SW's. Flight attendant says to remind him when they land. We land and she hands him basically a grocery sack full of the little bags, so he handed them off to passengers that wanted some in the concourse.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bnlphan

bnlphan Degenerate In Training

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe i can get my doctor to write a note saying i am allergic to baggage fees and send it to Frontier.

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. rhinoman7

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few years ago, we were flying out to Vegas, and as usual, I put my headphones on as soon as I am settled into my seat. Apparently, they made an announcement asking that nobody open anything containing peanuts. Well, I didn't hear the announcement, and as the flight progressed, I eventually opened my bag of peanut M&Ms, which I shared with my wife. As we are getting ready to get off the plane, my wife tells me about the announcement! Oops! I then asked her why she didn't tell me sooner, instead of letting me open the bag and actually eating some herself, and she just laughed.

15. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Unfortunately some people are allergic to the peanut dust so even opening up a bag of peanuts rows away can release the dust that could hurt or even kill them. Some airlines make an announcement so nobody misunderstands and opens up a bag of peanuts. From what I hear it isn't a pretty site to see someone go into anaphylactic shock from the peanut dust.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. rhinoman7

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally understand this, but I still can't get over the fact that there is a peanut dust warning on the pretzels that they are serving in place of the peanuts. :ssst:

17. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always been confounded by people not being able to go a couple hours without having something to eat.

18. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s not that people “aren’t able to” just that it’s a “nice to have.” Plus if you have a longer flight it very often can completely engulf a mealtime window. In most cases (except for diabetics, hypoglycemic or anyone with medical conditions that actually do require them to eat within certain windows) it’s just a matter of convenience and you might as well get s meal out of the way while your stuck in a seat for some length of time.

19. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On my last 3 SWA flights, they were handing out those BelVita breakfast biscuits which I like. Although on my return flight from Vegas this past May, they were only handing out peanuts and pretzels. Normally, I don't eat anything during the flight, so I just stash them in my backpack for later.

20. yoyoseven

yoyoseven Grizzled Vereran

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder how much I could charge for an epipen. (Calm down, I'm j/k)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.