What is the $20 Trick & how do you do it?

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by Sonya, Jun 25, 2007.

1. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can let me know first... you will be there two weeks before I will

!:beer:

MJ's going to the Super Bowl (in Vegas)
    USBC Nationals, my portion
  2. bnbarker

bnbarker Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol Ok I will try it. What can it hurt?

3. Kam

Kam Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just look at their website and see what room you want to upgrade to. Ask them for a complementary upgrade for the room you want! Hope that works if not send me a pm and I can help you out more.

4. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What happens if you are offered an upgrade, but at a cost? I think im going to slip a little more then a 20$ to up my chances, I wanna get a deluxe luv tub room at IP. it was another 200$ though. Im thinking of slipping a 50$.

What if they say yes, but an extra 20$ a night or something. would they keep the tip?

5. landsburger

landsburger High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would bet the $20 would do it, and would fall over if the $50 didn't. That's if the rooms themselves are available. If not, then no money would do it.

6. xtreme42

xtreme42 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was wondering if asking for a complementry upgrade would be asking to much for a 6 night stay. If even the 20.00 or more would even be worth trying. Arriving Saturday and leaving Friday. Because of the number of days would it be hard for them to do this?

7. robcassell

robcassell Guest

I'm not really sure why she would call it pathetic. Considering $20 dollars is what someone working the check-in desk makes in 3-4 hours after taxes, it should be a win-win situation. That undercover boss girl could get 4 days worth of cigarettes w/ $20 bucks.

8. Bur2Las

Bur2Las Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Schools can hold proms in hotels? I thought you had to be over 21 to check into these places...

9. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't know... could have been there just for dinner.

But there was LOTS of jailbait at the Rio last weekend.

MJ's going to the Super Bowl (in Vegas)
    USBC Nationals, my portion
  10. happy_gimp

happy_gimp Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does the trick work for resort fees?

Has anyone tried the $20 trick for attempting to wave the resort fee instead of an upgrade? I've already prepaid for my room at Aria, but if I could get out of that resort fee, I'd be thrilled. I'd be willing to offer $50 if it would work.

11. LAV

LAV Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    happy_gimp,

I would advise against trying to tip to get the resort fee waived. Remember, the "tip" is technically for good service.

Upgrading is always based on availability, and the clerk has the discretion. However, the resort fee was implemented by the properties as a revenue generating source, I am sure. You are trying to "bribe" someone to waive a fee that is to apply to everyone, except for comped rooms.

My GUESS is that to even get the fee waived, the clerk would need to clear it with his/her supervisor, drawing unnecessary attention to the clerk.

You are willing to pay up to $50 to waive the fee. Heck, if you stay two days, that would be equivalent to the resort fee anyway.

But then again, I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, "Hey, can you do anything about the resort fee?"

12. DReynolds86

DReynolds86 Let's Go Pens!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm checking in on a Friday (Friday, gotta get down on Friday) so I have a feeling that's going to hurt my chances a lot.

13. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw in one of the tourist magazines a column on suggested tips. One category was to the room clerk $20-$50 if he/she gives you an upgrade. No trick there if the tourist magazines suggest it.

14. oleus

oleus Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $20 between the cards - the checkin clerk actually looked really surprised and asked "upgrade?" quietly, so maybe this was new for him? i figured vegas would be a ghost town last week if i got that deal, but it was anything but!

• Like Like x 1
  15. DReynolds86

DReynolds86 Let's Go Pens!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep. I keep thinking that I'm screwed since I'm checking in on a Friday and out on a Monday.

16. Foam09

Foam09 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is the 20$trick as easy to pull off or is down to where you are staying

17. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's very easy to pull off. I'm not sure why people get nervous, especially when you are doing this, IN VEGAS! It's a gamble, I don't see this as any more scary than putting down money at a blackjack table.

It always depends where you are staying, what their capacity is, what room you currently have, what events are going on (conventions, etc), who is working the desk that day, what mood they are in, size of your tip, etc.

18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL, I would LOVE to listen in to some of the conversations in the employee lunch rooms when the desk agents talk about the customers who try to pull the $20 trick. :)

19. VegasDragon

VegasDragon Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is an upgrade to me as they are pretty strict about charging for the frigde. I ask for one every time.

To the poster asking about what to ask for at THEhotel.
    At THEhotel you could ask for a Vsuite but I prefer a strip view as the Vsuite is just a little bigger and the view is worth more to me. Be back there tomorrow as a matter of fact!:cheers:

20. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gonna try the $20 trick? :wink :wink

Tags: