1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What is pizza like in your town & do you enjoy that style?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by bdautch, Mar 12, 2019.

1. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of all the commonly eaten foods, I find that pizza seems to vary more from town to town than almost any other kind of meal. I'll concede that burgers and other foods can be a little different as you go around the country, but pizza seems to vary the most (i.e., look at the difference between New York style and Chicago style).

I'm from Buffalo originally, and we're known for medium crust, generous toppings, and cup and char pepperoni. For example:

[​IMG]

So what is pizza like in your town, and do you like that style?

• Love Love x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Edible, but not remarkable.
    We stick to mom-n-pop/indie joints. Last time we ate franchise pizza was back in the early 90's. Tampa doesn't "own" a style. You can get pretty much whatever your little heart desires, just like back home (not really, but we like to say that). :wink2:

3. SMG

SMG Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Chicago is known for their deep dish pizza and most folks outside of Chicago are probably more familiar with Pizzeria Uno & Duo, as well as Giordano's. Although, I prefer Chicago's thin crust pizza from some of the mom & pop pizzerias. Yes, Chicago has some very good thin crust pizza places that a lot of us locals prefer over deep dish.

• Love Love x 1
  4. pjbear05

pjbear05 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From my birthplace Detroit, Buddy's. For those who know, no explanation necessary. For those who don't, no explanation understandable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    then you must love Naked City Pizza in Moondoggie's... it's a Buffalo dive bar downtown

we have an Italian restaurant that has traditional thin crust....
    and two Greek restaurants that have similar thicker crust style. but I prefer the Italian place

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a great little joint here in our tiny town.

7. VivaSladeVegas

VivaSladeVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Cincinnati, the hometown pizza is LaRosa's and it is very popular and very awful. The crust is flavorless, the sauce is too sweet, the meat toppings come from a company that really embraces pink slime, and the cheese is cheap provolone that seizes up at 90 degrees. The pies are thrown together with careless disregard and delivered by glue sniffing nitwits.

Other than that, it's lovely.

Comp it up Downtown!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Tony Y

Tony Y Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In NYC Patsy's Pizza East Harlem made in a coal fired oven cannot be beat. There's a reason they have been in business close to 100 years its simply delicious

BELAGGIO
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Frankr163

Frankr163 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Imperial Pizza or Bocce?:feedme:

10. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's all about the pans. I know

11. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    like, not love...but I see what you're getting at

12. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bocce sauce is too sweet for me

13. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm in Dayton, and I agree 100%. LaRosa's is a disgrace; I'd rather eat the cheapest, worst frozen pizza in existence. Back when Noble Romans had stand-alone restaurants (70s and 80s here in the Dayton area), they made a deep dish pizza called the "Monster". In my opinion, that was the greatest pizza ever made. I would pay big money to have one shipped to me now, but I don't think Noble Romans has any real restaurants anymore, just those little stands (like at the Four Queens) that serve truly awful pizza.

14. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a business opportunity!

For me, the ideal pie has a thin crust, charred at the bottom, light on the toppings, well done. The new hot thing appearing on menus is "Grandma Pizza" which is a thin to medium square crust, not Sicilian, topped with hand crushed San Marzano tomatoes, sliced Mozzarella on top, then some fresh basil, and a little olive oil. I love White Pizza with a mix of fresh mushrooms. These types of pizza aren't exactly from neighborhood joints, but for times I need a fix, I can find them.

@bdautch, the pepperoni "cup" is something that is gaining popularity. That pie looks amazing.

@SMG, I'm heading to your fair town in a couple weeks for a trade show, any good pizza in the River North area? A couple years ago, I went to Pizzaria Duo, the crust was kind of crumble-ly, like Pillsbury Dough. I once drove 45 minutes to Frank Pepe's Pizzeria Napolitana in New Haven, CT, so I will travel for good pie. I won't have a car in Chicago, though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can't get a decent pizza where we live :(

Pink Concert Trip
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Grew up in NYC suburb
    As a kid - ALL pizza joints were run by Italians
    Now - Latinos + Eastern Europeans make the pizzas
    Any Caucasian joints NEVER seemed to last long !
    I am in Pizza Heaven
    To eat a frozen store pizza brand is ........not even considered ?
    I have made my own before buying a Chain Store Pizza !

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  17. Texas Rock

Texas Rock Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We moved to Houston 21 years ago and have given up trying to find good pizza here (or pretty much anywhere in Texas). :(

Grew up in Northwest Indiana near Chicago and didn't realize how good we had it (I am not a fan of traditional deep dish Chicago style, rather prefer thinner crust cheese only pizza from places like Aurelio's, Gelsosomo's, etc.)

A few years ago, I was working in Phoenix and discovered by complete accident a great pizza joint called Spinato's - and after inquiring, it turns out they were a family who moved their from Chicago area and couldn't find decent pizza so they bought one of the recipes and started making something awfully similar in the desert!

I keep trying to convince my wife that we need to do the same thing here in Houston.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief bottle washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eastern Europeans are 99% caucasian.

Hunt Brothers is the go to around here. Frozen and delivered fresh to your favorite convenience store once a week.

Now if you want to talk catfish.......

Sweet 16 and Golden Nugget poker
  19. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everyone knows NJ has the best pizza. The worst pizza place here would be the best pizza in some states. I used to be amazed by all the raves over secret pizza. Until it dawned on me that most in this country haven’t had good pizza. I enjoyed secret pizza, but wasn’t overwhelmed by it. That’s because I grew up in NJ.

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you just described most pizza chains.

I am not crazy about any of the national chains, although, I do buy Papa Murphy's 2-3 times a year.
    I wish I could find a good local pizza joint.
    I had a place that I was liking for a while, but the cheese seemed plastic-y, so I gave up on them.