1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What has happened to common civility?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by mjames1229, May 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will say that all things considered, this thread has stayed pretty civil notwithstanding posts over the years from some people has led me to believe some folks here would come out with anything but civility (or, alternatively, thanks to the mods for the clean up). As someone forced to work daily and directly with this virus in our nation's capital, what I've found is that for many people, the science doesn't matter. Some people in this country form a conclusion, and subsequently find "facts", or a version thereof, to fit their conclusion. While it used to be maddening, my colleagues and myself have learned that you cannot reason with certain people and as a consequence, we try to focus our energy on helping the scientists, physicians and front-line workers to combat this.

However, as stated prior, people who adhere to the adage "do you and I'll do me" lack a basic fundamental understanding that "doing you" can affect other people. Perhaps in Wisconsin, or specific areas, you need not legally wear a mask. But does that mean you shouldn't? To the folks who think they can engage in a fistfight with the virus, I'll say this: wait until it affects you, and it will at some point. I'll bet you anything that if it doesn't change your mind when it affects your or your family that you're lying. There's far too many people in this country that stick their head so far in the sand when facts come out that could change what they've believed for many years that at some point, they'll be forced to listen.

It's unfortunate that people continue to turn a blind eye as more and more people are affected. As far as I'm concerned, those people are the erosion of civility. At the end of the day, we are all in this together whether one likes it or not.

We keep the news on in my house, much to my wife's chagrin. She mentioned the other day "don't you get tired of seeing this daily" to which I responded, I would rather be armed with the facts and applicable information than walk blindly into a one way alley. Long and short, for the first time in our two year marriage, she now listens after her best friend got sick and is in the ICU at 36 breathing what is tantamount to "hot tar".

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good morning. Again, we had to pull this thread from public view to allow me time to get in here and clean it up ... AGAIN.

So, unfortunately, we are closing another thread.

Ironically, there is a small number of people here on VMB that are resistant to the rules and guidelines set by leadership here that are causing distress and ramifications for the larger majority who manage to do what is necessary to keep the peace. Sound familiar? :rolleyes2:

Let me give you some advice on what has helped to keep me sane during times of strife like this. TURN OFF THE TV!! Shut off Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, wherever you do your social media. By all means, be informed about what is happening, but don't feel the need to wallow in it. If you feel that tightness in your body that something is stressing you out, take a break. Go outside, sit in the sun if you can, breathe a little, listen to some birds or traffic or whatever you have in your neighborhood. :)

These are extremely stressful times and we all need to do what we can to take care of ourselves first. It's like on the airplane when the flight attendant tells you to put on your own mask, before helping your kids with theirs. You need to take care of yourself, and then each other. Learn to recognize the signs and take a break when you need it.

That said, I was up all night playing catch up and then worked my butt off all day yesterday on less than 2 hours of sleep. In the afternoon, I noticed the shimmer in the corner of my vision and knew that was a sign there was a problem. I have a cortisol issue and have for many years. One of the ways it manifests is ocular migraines. I know the signs, but felt I was "too busy" to stop. Bad, Sonya!! :nono: Ended up in bed with an ice pack over my eyes because I didn't stop when I knew I should have. Please learn from my mistakes. :)

And @mjames1229, I'm very sorry that we have to close your thread. I know you were feeling better from hearing empathy and support from the people here. Know there are more of us on your side than on theirs. (look at the polling) A vocal minority can make the majority feel like maybe we're in the wrong. But human decency and kindness is always the better path, IMO. You seem like a good person and thank you for caring about your social circle and neighbors. Unfortunately, they can't see it right now. Keep space for them, but you can't change their minds. There may come a time when they see and they will come back to you. Until then, put your mask on and take care of yourself, so you are available to help others when the time comes.

And with that, I'm closing this to further comments.

• Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.