1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What has happened to common civility?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by mjames1229, May 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jack v

jack v Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The question was what happened to civility/society? What happened is everyone tries to control other people, despite the fact everyone knows you cant. So they beat their heads against the wall and then are unhappy.

You cant control your friends anymore than the governor could control his state, and almost everyone who's on the other end will resist and go the other way.

Live your life the way you want without justification or apology, allow others to do the same, that's my take.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. MaxStacks

MaxStacks Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s 2020 and the ship has sailed. Our country made a pandemic a partisan issue. Not to be bleak, but I don’t think anything is truly going to unite the country again outside of some World War 3 level event.

Vegas!
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  3. ken2v

ken2v Wish I was in Bend

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    But we've had social/cultural/governmental limitations on individual behaviors since the first two hominids decided things would be safer and more productive out there in the cruel harsh world if they formed a community and worked together.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm getting kind of sick of stop signs, tbh.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. jack v

jack v Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not talking about that, the guy is upset because his friends dont feel or act the way he thinks they should, and he considers their life choices to be a semi attack on him. He's not the center of their world, unless if he's family he never will be.

His friends now have options they didn't have 24 hours before, he cant control their actions regarding these new options and if he tries he will almost certainly fail.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. fasbman

fasbman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I understand the frustration that people feel with this crisis. IMHO, there is no perfect solution, and there are serious problems and trade-offs with whatever approach is taken. That being said, I agree with those who say, that we shouldn't too harshly judge others, for trying to do what is right for them. Will there be some people who almost everyone will agree are being complete idiots - yes! However, I truly believe that most people are just trying to cope with this situation as best they can. People are comforted by routines, and even putting aside very legitimate financial concerns, most people just want to go back to the comfort and security of a routine.

7. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    See? This is good. Reasonable conversation. Anyone want to come over for a beer? (Just kidding, natch...)

Super Bowl / Poker Trip Combo Platter
    Bowling the USBC National tournament, I hope.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @mjames1229 the question you're posing is something I have thought about for a few years now. The attitude you're lamenting is not something new. Its been festering and building for a long while. Also as background (not intended to be political commentary), my family has been involved with politics on a national, state and local level for the last fifty years. My father used to be a guest host of a statewide radio political talk show. Several years ago, in the context of the same question you are posing, I asked my father what he had observed recently on the show and where the discourse was headed. I will never forget how crestfallen he appeared when I asked that question. He shook his head despondently and simply said he had never encountered so much anger from the listeners and callers. In the years since, I have seen the same thing. People, in general, seem more dissatisfied and angrier than in the past. Why? I guess that's another question with no easy answer. But more and more people seem to be motivated by anger these days. I think that attitude leads to the experiences you described

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  9. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had to pull this thread for a while because the thread about a lack of civility became uncivil. Remember: You can disagree without being disagreeable.

Thank you to the majority of you who are being civil.

Let's try this again. Next time it goes off the rails, we will close this one too.

But the issue is that your actions in this pandemic don't just effect you. An asymptomatic spreader who refuses to wear a mask puts everyone in close proximity to them at risk. It's like me saying that I like drunk driving, but if you don't then don't and it's all good. Until I kill someone.

One might think a global pandemic that has killed hundreds of thousands of people in a few months, and that has no reliable treatment or vaccine would be that event.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 2
  10. greekjim

greekjim VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    54201629-341C-4127-9358-C279D98E236D.jpeg

• Love Love x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I need to say this. Can't help it.

To those who have decided to abandon stay at home directives, social distancing, masks, etc. that was put in place to battle the virus and try to get some kind of control over it:

I hope you don't get infected and get sick. I really mean this.

But if you do get sick, due to your inconsiderate choices, please go to the end of the line when seeking medical help.

It is the civil thing to do.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Wow! Wow! x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @mjames1229 - I feel for you. Sometimes people can amaze you with their kindness or other times they can disappoint you. That’s how things are. IMO the lack of civility isn’t a new thing, we just have higher visibility to people’s opinions.

A few random thoughts on reopening. When we started shelter in place, I had my doubts on whether this would work. IMO - it was fundamentally against American culture because we don’t like to be told what to do. But it worked for a bit and it’s understandable that some want to get out. The name calling on both sides is just to rationalize the behavior. I have my thoughts on which side is right, but I’ve seen here that it’s pointless to argue with someone who’s views are different than mine.

As @nancyf eloquently said we all need to do what’s right for ourselves. Try to keep you & your family safe.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  13. unomas

unomas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is definitely a complicated issue with tons of misinformation out there (not here though, thank you @Sonya ) When I was driving to work and heard what Wisconsin supreme court did I just cringed. As I type this my hospital currently has 56 positive pts on ventilators. (no bueno) My state wants to open it's beaches on May 22nd and I also cringed because that is much closer to home and I know the sick are coming here! We as health care workers (i'll speak for myself, but I know what everyone is going thru) are wearing down. For me a little depression is settling in, alcohol consumption up and I put a few covid pounds on! The longer everyone can put up with restrictions the better, economically it's a disaster too, people need a paycheck for their families, I get it. But if you contract the virus and ultimately demise, your are not doing your family any good. Stay safe everyone!

Vegas
    • Love Love x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  14. whiskeyandslots

whiskeyandslots High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope you and your wife remain well. Is it possible for the two of you to stay quarantined until the threat is over?

15. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Vegas is Fabulous When You Degen Responsibly ;)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL concurring with cute kitty pics is probably what I should stick with on this thread ;)

16. debriley

debriley Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I keep ‘sleeping’ people for 30 days, then resleeping them when 30 days is up and they start getting on my nerves again. The main thing that comes across my feed is adorable dogs doing adorable things

• Like Like x 2
  17. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1.4 million Americans infected, 84,000 Americans killed in 3 months, everyone in the country has been mobilized to make universal personal sacrifice and lifestyle changes, etc. I can't think of any other event in my lifetime that has directly affected most people on Earth in such an observable and sudden way. As far as world war 3 level events go, I think we are pretty much there.
    That said, I agree with your sentiment and it pains me and you are absolutely right.

• Like Like x 2
  18. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's how it starts. Eventually you just finish it off with that unfollow option;)

Sister Trip - New Dates (Again)
  19. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think one of the reasons we are angrier is because that's the way news sites want it. Anger means more clicks. We are being bombarded with too much information, and it's not even always accurate information. But it is designed to make us angry. Even fluff news sites do this. I have the Buzzfeed app. They LOVE to have threads that pit boomers against millennials, men against women, the Kardashians doing something stupid/offensive, etc. They love to make us angry. Several of the recent pictures of beaches have been taken in a way that makes it look like people are overcrowding the beaches - because that will make us angry. I typically try to stay away from the news, but in this crisis you have to pay attention to what is happening, and it's easy to overdose on it.

My solution. MORE cat pictures - less news!

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Sister Trip - New Dates (Again)
  20. unomas

unomas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree that the media sites are going out of their way to post a picture or use a headline in the most offensive way to catch or rope viewers in. But the same media/news sites didn't authorize say Florida to remain open during a pandemic and allow spring break so they "the media" could make people angry, they just reported it.

Having said that I try to stay away from news as well, years now. No FB for me but I do have instagram that I mainly follow vegas themed posters.

Vegas
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.