1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What Happened In Vegas Didn't Happen For Me

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Jimbucc, Feb 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Flight 1069 out of Cleveland to Las Vegas scheduled to depart at 7:08 P.M. Monday February 13 didn't happen.

My wife and I were going for only 3 nights for a quick get away. No luggage, only back packs and no seat assignments. This is Spirit bare fare. We also purchased our tickets at the airport a week before the flight to save the passenger usage fee of $71.60 that they charge online. Two round trip tickets came to $188 out the door.

We have flown Spirit and Frontier numerous times without any problems. I'm also always prepared for the worse because it can happen. I started getting e-mails from Spirit showing the flight was delayed from 7:08 to 7:45 P.M. Then 9 and then 9:30. Got to the airport and got another delay to 10:30 P.M. At this point I started to think that this flight wasn't going to go. Got another delay until 11:30P.M. Then things took a turn for the better. The plane we were supposed to be on was coming from Tampa and was to arrive in Cleveland at 8:20 P.M. The board now showed our flight was going to leave at 9:30. Three flight attendants arrived. We are all happy campers. At 8 P.M. they announced word from corporate the flight is cancelled. From what I could see, they had a plane and flight attendants but no pilots.

Went to the front desk and could have been rescheduled for the next day. Two nights and one day in Vegas wasn't cool. We got a refund and two $50 vouchers for each of us. What an emotional day. We were on a roller coaster ride for sure. We cancelled our room and car reservations. I've already used the vouchers for an April flight.

Wife and I are retired so it wasn't a terrible blow. It's not like we've never been to Vegas before. I checked on flightaware.com for flight 1069 back to October 17. No cancellations until our flight Feb. 13. I guess we weren't meant to go this time.

2. Miller12pack

Miller12pack High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always fly Allegiant. So far no major problems for me, but my stomach is always in a knot until I get on that plane. It sucks that happened to you.

3. kkinwi

kkinwi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry! But you are rescheduled so can replan your dream trip!

4. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always try to take the earliest fight out just in case there is an issue they have time to fix it. I had booked a return flight on Frontier and was worried about something similar to this happening and so I switched to southwest since I know their service.

5. calcuttaman

calcuttaman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is this specific to Spirit?

6. blkshirt

blkshirt High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is why I was so pissed when United devalued CLE. The nonstops to Vegas just went away. Sorry!

7. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had to cancel a 3 day trip to laughlin last year. was going to ride my motorcycle there.

It was beutiful weather except for the 3 days I planned. rain, rain and rain. before and after it was lovely. glad i cancelled though as it was really coming down and would have been miserable on the bike.

8. RedChip

RedChip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bummer. Better luck in April. I was waiting on a 10:15 PM United flight out of San Francisco and it kept getting delayed, 15-30 minutes at a time. I thought it would get cancelled, but it finally boarded at 12:20 AM. Hate the angst of possible cancellations.

9. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess cancellations can happen to anyone- but I have heard mostly bad things about Spirit. Being 6'3" and 300 lbs makes it all the more a bad choice for me! And, frankly, when I priced it out compared to SW it wasn't that much lower! And, I always use the third seat option on SW which makes for a comfortable flight for me and any potential person otherwise sitting next to me!

Freedom Fest 2020
  10. Geogran

Geogran Whooo. Whooo.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cancellations are rough, but twice as bad when it's Vegas. Glad to see you've got another one booked and hope that it will be a winning trip to make up for this one.

11. martinr

martinr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    An airline named Spirit seems very ironic at times, doesn't it?

Wake Me Up When September Starts!
  12. bretmc

bretmc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is why i would never fly spirit to many horror stories from friends and other people. I'll pay the extra money and fly Delta, or Southwest or Sun Country.

13. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  14. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    where do you buy Spirit tickets at the airport? just at their regular check-in kiosk?

15. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Cleveland, I go right to the Spirit agents that are checking in people for flights. I usually go in the early afternoon and have never had to wait in a long line.

16. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ahhh ok, that's the part I was wondering about, the line. Every time I've been at MSP here in the Twin Cities the Spirit line is crazy long. I live 5 mins from the airport and if I ever get the guts to try Spirit, I guess I'd try to avoid a purchasing fee too.

17. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, Jimbucc!
    So sorry to hear that news.

My bride and I endured a Spirit cancellation to kick-off our trip last summer. Luckily we were able to get seats on a flight for the next day and shift everything a day later.
    That next day our new flight was delayed and we thought, "Oh, sh_t, here we go again!" :mad::cry: We did make it out, but I believe it was just in the nick of time (before another cancellation).

Great news that you have another trip coming up, though! :thumbsup:
    Best wishes! :D

RICHARD

Return of the Alperts!
  18. mikeyvegas1

mikeyvegas1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is my worse nightmare. You get so jacked up waking up in the morning knowing your going to Vegas, and then!!!
    I had a coworker tell me that they were canceling flights the day I was to leave once. I was pretty much certain he was messing with me but it left me uneasy until I confirmed,

Sons 21st birthday trip
    Hoover dam marathon (I Hope anyway)
  19. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ugh that sucks. Better luck in April!

20. onebud1

onebud1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's why I'm glad I'm close enought to drive...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.