1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What feature of your house did you think you'd use frequently but actually don't?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by cjcjcj, Jun 11, 2021.

1. cjcjcj

cjcjcj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wordy title, I know.

We moved into our current house last year (and thankfully did so then because of inventory and sky-high pricing now).

We were super excited about the built-in home theater finished in the basement. Included with the sale.

Quite honestly, we've used it once or twice other than putting some gym equipment down there and using that.

What were you excited to have, or maybe something you paid $$ to add, that you don't end up using so often?

2022 First Escape
  2. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’d be using that home theater almost daily. We were excited to a patio, we bought a townhouse 11 years ago. The patio needs to be finished, the original homeowners opted for the pebble stones, we want to lay down stamped concrete or paver stones, still haven’t gotten around to it, we don’t even have patio furniture or a grill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We built our house ourselves, after taking a year to do the design & blueprints (all ourselves :) We might have ebbs and flows in what we use or how, but 20 yrs (this year) and we are amazed at how much we still love it and how well it works for us.

One odd thing - we have a library/office - desk, filing, walls of books etc. I've been working at home for 15 months (and one day a week for previous 7 yrs) and I use my laptop in the living room almost all the time. I do use the office but not for my real job....

• Like Like x 2
  4. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pool. I don't think I've even been once in more than three years. I always say I'm going to upstairs and at least lay in the pool, but I always get sucked by some TV series on the DVR.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You need an outdoor tv! I suggested we add a tv to our porch last yr and now we spend every night out there, 3/4 of the year!! (To the detriment of our patio, which doesn't get the attention at ALL these days )

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also I want a pool really badly but hubs says no pretty consistently....

7. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are 3 things here I just had to have, but never use. Our living room, the spa tub, and fire pit.

Van Morrison and Birthday Trip
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  8. kkinwi

kkinwi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My "back" porch. It is covered, and gets lots of sun in early spring. My plan was to sit out and enjoy the weather when the north wind was whipping across the lake on the other side. I've sat out very few times in the 12 years since we built.

9. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This.

And it was replaced last week with a giant marble shower.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Vegas28m

Vegas28m Medium Roller, Chicago

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fireplace. Lived here 7 years and used it twice

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    19 years and never for us!

RICHARD

12. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve been thinking about doing something similar. Now I just need to convince my husband.

Van Morrison and Birthday Trip
  13. MCann

MCann VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought for sure this would be a thread of people saying pool, hot tub, and fireplace, but I live in Florida, and people DO use pools but fireplaces arent as often used in central and south Florida. Where I live we normally have about 30 days per year below freezing and I'm jealous every winter because I dont have one and damn near every other house around the lake has smoke rising from the chimney on those cold days!

Somewhere in Las Vegas
  14. Bond

Bond Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My house has a 3 season room with a vaulted ceiling. It's big and looks cool, but with the weather here it's really only comfortable for a couple of months out of the year.

15. Vegas28m

Vegas28m Medium Roller, Chicago

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You beat us!

16. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We actually have a couple upstairs, but it's a community pool and it doesn't get many of the channels I like, let alone my DVR. Ah well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in a condo area. When purchasing and moving in almost 9 years ago, I thought I would enjoy my balcony. Well . . . I have never bought anything decorative for it, never sat out there. Because of other condo buildings around I quickly felt I would be "on display". So, I just open wide the blinds and enjoy it that way!

18. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My parents had a hot tub and rarely used it. My husband had one when we started dating and I assumed it would be the same thing. Nope, 22 yrs later (and on our second hot tub) and we use it every week, at least. It's indoors, we keep the temp low-ish, we have a tv in the room (also our gym space) and we have Friday dinner & tv in there! (for this reason - I have a cast iron slipper tub in my bathroom for my weekly baths, no need for a spa tub that wouldn't be used. Or clean, probably - it's a lot easier to keep a big hot tub clean than the jets in a spa tub.....) (god, we use the fireplace and the firepit and.....I hate having things I don't use, so I will use them...or get rid of them)

19. AnitaCS

AnitaCS Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We bought a house with a pool 4 years ago. Wasn't looking for a pool but it was the only house available when we were ready to buy

Loved it the first summer. Now I see it as 12 months of work for 3 months of pleasure. And yes we have weekly pool service but it requires daily care.

We have about 3 weeks in January where we can leave it mostly alone and that's it. Your husband is right. Oh and there is also the friends and family that expect pool parties. If that's your thing great but it's not mine.

20. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a fireplace but it never saw as much as a twig or a duraflame log.

Ended up getting a gas log, love it.

• Like Like x 3