1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Well, that's not something I've purchased/used in eons ...

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Nov 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol, I'm actually "burning" my old cassette tapes to mp3's daily right now. Had to fix the deck that had been the in closet for years first though.

Used the vice grips the other day to get the nuts off a couple of old rusty johnny bolts. Next step was a reciprocating saw.

I throw in "water bed patch kit" I found that in a garage drawer the other day, went straight in the trash.

No reason to go home yet.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love it!! lol

3. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I vaguely remember a recall of Zero bars in the 1970's because of alleged rodent hairs found in some of the candy.

When we protested the choice for dinner, my Mom would say "just eat it, it's not your last meal on earth."

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol So true.

My mom was always way cool with us not eating what was prepared because she told us we had the job of cooking the next meal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  5. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would have taken that deal in half a second. My mother, bless her heart, was not a master of the domestic arts. I had to learn to do my own laundry when I was about 10 after the third time she accidentally bleached everything I own. Quite a bit later, she almost burned the house down because she didn't want to spend money on a dry cleaner and set fire to a duvet by putting it in the dryer on "high". And don't get me started on the microwaved falafel incident...

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol My mom's cooking was such that I even quipped about it when I wrote her obit.

Actually, my mom did well in the kitchen when she had time, but she worked a lot during our formative years so we all did what we could to help and appreciated the grub; thankfully no, "Man work/woman cook" bullshit in our nuclear or extended family. But it often was very basic and lots of canned/frozen/packaged. Now she was a master at border Mex.

7. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The more time my mother had, the worse it got.:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. NittyOne

NittyOne VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    44 that’s 11 year old you talking, “celery, yuck gross”, you should give it another go.

Basils dad gets it.

I Need hot pastrami and some Cel-Ray ASAP.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny, 44. After they retired -- and past the road/RV life -- mom started getting very "inspired" in the kitchen. I'd get all these what-do-you-think-happened or what-do-you-think-about-this calls often. I sure miss those.

• Love Love x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Speaking of audio cassettes.......
    I have a lot of recording equipment from the 80's
    I have a reel to reel Tascam 38 --- 8 separate track channels = the greatest warm sound
    recordings ever !.......as good as Studio sound.
    I have it boxed up because it takes up alot of room which I don't have, now.
    However,
    I have my Porta Studio 4 track recorder set up -
    It uses CASSETTES only !.........about 2 yrs ago - a buddy handed me 4 " High End " quality
    unopened cassettes.
    It was like finding antique gems !
    So I've used them.........but my basement is under construction so not much has been recorded.
    I still record with a mic and "live "........no digital stuff at all.
    I mix down recordings on my duel cassette player ( from the 80's ) as well.
    BTW
    My grandmother's house ( in the mountains ) had a " Party Line ".
    WOW !
    She had to explain to me that the local phone operator is a " busy body "
    and listens in to your phone conversations !
    Any body remember ?.......PARTY PHONE LINES ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After some thought it's all starting to come back to me. Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill and Heidleberg beer, keg bottles .99 a six pack. Blitz and Oly too.

12. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Believe me, I'm just as opposed now as I was 30+ years ago. I don't mind celery, but if I do want it, I'll order it. It's not meant for drinking! And I say this as someone who was basically raised in a kosher diner in NYC by my grandmother and a couple of the waitresses.

My mother basically gave up on the kitchen when I was about 35. I remember going to their house for Thanksgiving a few years back. In the morning, she asked me if I was hungry; my response was, "what happens if I say yes?". She drew a blank look and then said, "Um... uh... I think the supermarket might be open."

So I had Triscuits for breakfast.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't forget Vitamin R in the pint glass bottles!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What about MD 20/20 (Mad Dog 20/20)? :vomit:

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Twelve-thirteen year-old me and my best friend received the lion's share of our sex education by listening in on two "old" nineteen year-olds on his party line. We would hold the handset button down while the other unscrewed the mouthpiece so they couldn't hear us. After an eternity of stupid drama with the girls coyly trying to obtain the other's down-and-dirty happenings in their boy friends' cars, we would finally hit pay dirt. Good times!

Boone's Farm and Heidleberg keg bottles will do that to one's memory. As a matter of fact, your mention of the keg bottles brought memories of the countless ones that I "enjoyed" or at least endured back in the day. I haven't thought of them in perhaps 40 years.

Oh! And guys, do you remember scratching off the labels on the Oly bottles to see how many stars you got? At parties, guys would then tell the girls that the number of stars determined the amount of "bases" the guy would be allowed. Of course, the girls knew it, but it was tradition. Four stars were rare, but hope springing eternal in the human breast, some of us carried 4-star labels around "just in case." I can't recall anyone actually cashing a 4 star in, but I seem to recall beach bonfires where 1 & 2 stars were tendered and received, and that wasn't anticlimactic in the least.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Food processor, waffle iron, sifter, potato masher. All but the food processor are older than I am, so I have never bought one. All are in regular use. Some skillets as well. As for "outgrown" kitchen implements, a used fondue pot in good condition will bring 3 bucks at a garage sale on a good day, or four with a set of nice forks. Salad shooter, 2 bucks.

Committed most of the wine sins already listed by others, and stopped when I understood them to be sins. When we downsized and I no longer had a bar or a basement to put it in, I never restocked vodka or Scotch. Miss the Scotch. I stopped buying regular beer a long time ago, but will still gladly drink a bottle of yours.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  17. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Forget Boone's or the Mad Dog (got to see the eye doctor!). I haven't bought a 40 in 20 something years. Forget OE, we couldn't afford the fancy stuff. Some Crazy Horse or Haffenreffer (the Hefty Wrecker, which I just found out is a regional thing, so not many will know this one).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny you should say that, after I gave my dad one of the pastramis I made over the summer, he went to the one market that he knows sells Cel-Ray specifically for that reason.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bud, Coors, Miller, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. NittyOne

NittyOne VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh man if I had that upbringing I would’ve looked like a young Fat Moe from my favorite Sergio Leone film, Once Upon A Time In America. If I ever win the lottery I’m going to open a bar like the one Fat Moe was running in the 60s that also makes delicatessen style hot sandwiches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.