1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

We were almost there...

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by GeorgeandTheBear, Apr 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeorgeandTheBear

GeorgeandTheBear High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just this past Monday I had a non-stop from Louisville that was to arrive at 1:25 PM. Great, I'll get there in plenty of time to get settled into my room and then head out for dinner with a few buddies I only see in LV.

The flight was quite bumpy and the lunch I didn't have was trying to vacate my body. I was struggling mightily to keep it down. I made sure the barf bag was easily accessible in case needed. While struggling, my friends wife, seated next to me pulled her bag out and opened it. Oh no, if she loses it there's no way I'll be able to hang onto mine. We're gliding in to the airport, gear down, rooftops below...whew, we're going to make it. That jubilation was quickly quashed as the plane throttled up and started climbing...No, No, No!!! The pilot came over the intercom and stated we needed to fly around because of high winds. There's no way in hell that Jane or I will be able to hold out, since we have both turned green by now. After about 15 minutes the pilot came back on and announced that it's still too bad to land in LV, that we are low on fuel and will have to go to Bull Head City, AZ to refuel and wait out the storm...Dear God, No!!!

Fast forward about 20 minutes and we are on the ground in the middle of nowhere. Amazingly, neither Jane or I have thrown up. I was still quite sick, but by the way Jane looked I guess I looked pretty good. Anyway, they let passengers get up to use the rest room while refueling. I got out of Jane's way so she could get there as quickly as possible, but she still didn't make it first. She eventually returned, sweating profusely, and just crumpled into her husband's lap.

Fast forward another half-hour or so, plane is refueling and bouncing around while parked because of the wind. Pilot comes over the intercom. Just when we think we are going to get out of there, he yanks the rug right out from under us. Ladies and gentlemen, we have reached our maximum hours of flying time. SW will be sending two more pilots from Phoenix to fly us to LV. They will be boarding a plane soon. This can't be happening!

Well, they let whoever wanted off the plane to go to the terminal. Some chose to rent a car and drive to LV. We chose to get off the plane and go to the terminal (no gates, used air stairs and walked across the tarmac). By now our stomachs had settled a bit and we grabbed a bite (mini-mart microwave sandwiches and chips). I carry Dramamine and was using it, but it was no match for this day. I gave Jane one while we were eating.

Fast forward about another hour and we were called back to the plane. In a bit, we were fired up and heading down the runway and off to Vegas we went. I still had a rough go of it when landing, but I did manage to hang onto that imitation egg-mcmuffin. Jane was a new woman, said she would never be without Dramamine again.

Although, in the end I ended up in Vegas (actually twice), it's an experience I can do without repeating.

• Wow! Wow! x 6
  2. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I flew out on Thursday. We were sitting on the runway for over an hour waiting for the wind to die down a little so we could take off. By the time we took off, it was still a roller-coaster. Worst takeoff that I think I've ever had.

3. Geogran

Geogran Whooo. Whooo.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hopefully the rest of your trip didn't encounter any more bumps! :vomit:
    Thank goodness for dramamine...

4. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you made it safely. This sounds like one of my nightmares:blink:

5. GeorgeandTheBear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The rest of the trip was pretty normal. My flight home was about 40 minutes late, but 1:25 AM turning into 2:05 AM really isn't that big of a deal. I got home just in time to get up and pee :D

6. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yikes - I came in on Saturday and we had no issues.

7. tfcoach72

tfcoach72 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got to experience that "touch and go" landing once at McCarran. Pilot comes on and says, "just seeing if you're awake, we will try this again". Circled and landed. Never got an explanation, but made it fine 2nd time.

Beau Rivage until bartop VP open in LAS!
  8. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I, also, had this happen. We were landing in a thunder/lightening storm into McCarran and just about to touch down...I could see the runway out the window about 10 feet below us...and all of a sudden the pilot guns the engines and we're heading back into the thunderheads above. Bumpy, bumpy, bumpy! Talk about your heart sinking! Luckily, we just circled around the valley and came in a second time and landed. Bull Head City? Oh, my.

9. Geogran

Geogran Whooo. Whooo.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you've been there? :blink: :D

10. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never been to Bull Head City. Just sounds like a tiny city in the middle of nowhere. Especially when OP mentiioned that they had to deplane onto the tarmac. Now that's a small airport.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sorry to hear about that harrowing flight. This is why I pound down as many adult beverages I can before we get to the Rocky Mountains. They didn't name them rocky by accident. I've never had a smooth flight in but luckily haven't had it that bad YET. Several times they have told the FAs they have to remain seated the last hour or so if the flight. That is one if the many benefits of first class, I can really get my fill of food and drink before they are strapped in. They usually give us snacks and water for the road so I have something to eat and drink.

12. vsop

vsop Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whew, landing at LAS, when there are high winds, especially a stiff cross wind can be harrowing...10+ years ago, we were descending from the east and the pilot was leveling the plane, but because of the cross wind he had to continuously compensate...

The plane kept rocking left-right-left-right...I bowed my head, closed my eyes and mumbled...pull up and start over....the plane touched down on just the right side wheels and finally plopped down on all the wheels... when I looked up, everybody in the rows ahead of me looked like a bunch of bobble heads....

13. jack1057

jack1057 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here in Lubbock we deal with this frequently. During the testing for the 787, they routinely came here to develop crosswind landing procedures and testing. We went out and watched one day as they repeatedly landed and took off on various runways in a blinding dust storm and 50+ winds. It was amazing to watch them "crab" the plane almost sideways on approach and then set it down. We rate landings and takeoffs here like carnival rides. 1 ticket is easy, 5 tickets is rough.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  14. tatterdema

tatterdema VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol, I probably would have spent the night in Laughlin and either drove or taken the bus to Vegas the next day. I had that almost touch and go once in Reno. A small plane taxied out onto the runway we were going to land on. It really is a stomach churner. I thought for sure we were dead.

15. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow! What an adventure! :faint:
    Glad you eventually made it there, G&tB!
    At least you earned a great story to share! Thanks for sharing it! :D

RICHARD

The Alperts Take Polo Towers!
  16. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every so often at my home airport, which is a rather large one, they have a flight or two deplane and board from the tarmac. Never figured out why.

17. jmn3

jmn3 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yikes, that sounds like an absolute awful flight. I once landed in my hometown (Buffalo) in the middle of February when it was about 2 degrees outside and a wind gusts of around 50 MPH. I swear that plane was sideways a few times - never in my life was I happier to get on the snow covered ground of Western NY. Oh, and speaking of deplaning on the tarmac, that's definitely not just at podunk airports. On the sideways flight I mentioned, I had connected at Dulles and for whatever reason, we had to deplane outside. In February. Thank you United.

As for landing in Bullhead City...I would have completely left that whole situation and rented a car for the last 90 minutes!!

18. GeorgeandTheBear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, the terminal building was maybe 60' X 120'. It still beat the heck out of sitting on that plane for a couple of hours.

19. remmerde

remmerde VMB's Resident Cigar Sommelier

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My sincerest apologies for being pedantic here, but as an armchair aviation buff I geek out about this stuff. Pilots call this a "go around". "Touch and go" means you actually put wheels on the runway but aren't stopping and have the intention of taking off again. "Go around" means gun the engines, climb out of trouble, and make another approach. A go around is actually fairly common in commercial aviation, often when there's a late runway incursion by other traffic/ground vehicles, or as in the case described in this thread, the pilot flying determines the approach is not stable enough for a safe landing.

Touch and go is a planned maneuver for the student flying a Cessna practicing landings. A commercial airliner doing a touch and go would be unplanned, and...uh...highly unusual. :)

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. vegasnut

vegasnut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    what a mess but fortunately you made it finally...after that ordeal treat yourself to a nice dinner and some good winnings in the evening (my psyschics say put some money in wheel of fortune ;) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.