1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

We got our senior flu shot

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Sep 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm scheduled to have a flu shot on my next visit to the doctor in Nov.

I didn't know there was an increased dosage for old farts like me.

I'm gonna ask for the "super size" flu shot, similar to when I order meals at Mcdonalds.

2. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve never had a flu shot but I am definitely getting one this year.

3. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So they have different flu shots for older people. That's interesting. Wife and I are going to get shots next week. Too much going on now with two bathrooms being remodeled.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmm, sounds like a great time NOT to get the flu.

5. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have always got mine at work during this time frame since we usually go to vegas for our birthdays next week. With me working remotely this year, I guess I'll ask my doctor or hit up a pharmacy. I don't know if I get the old person variety, but our med school is located in a hospital so I get the employee grade shots.

6. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Going this weekend and whilst I always get one, it's one of my least favorite experiences.. yeah, laugh it up lol, my wife thinks I'm always a big baby about it haha.

7. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get them at Walgreens every year. Usually takes about 10 mins and is extremely easy. Got mine 2 weeks ago.

8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually get mine in late October, when I have my annual physical. This year, I decided to get one as soon as they were available, which was a couple of weeks ago here. I'm not quite old enough yet to qualify for the super dose one for seniors, but I got the regular shot. Dan went on the weekend and got his too, and he usually only gets them if work requires it.

Last Saturday morning I had to run into the Walgreens and there was a line of about 10 people waiting for their shots. :thumbsup: So, go during the week if you can.

You might do some reading about this. My doctor said they aren't doing the nasal one this year due to some kind of efficacy issue. I usually get the shot, so I didn't ask for more, but FYI.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always get them, never get the flu. Same for my wife. Will get a high dose next month.

10. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have never gotten the flu shot --even when I was teaching----- and never have gotten the flu----even when I was teaching....but I am having a serious debate with myself this year.

11. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last week I got a flu, shingles and pneumonia shot. My left shoulder hurt for two days. This morning, colonoscopy. I should be good for a while. (TMI?) :rolleyes: Don’t worry, everything came out well in the end. :D

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. Jimgotkp

Jimgotkp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup for those over 65 years old, they have a higher dosage.

13. LVMS

LVMS Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here in California, shortage of the high dose flu shots so my doctors office gave me two injections of the regular flu shot. According to doctor two regular flu shots are the same as one high dose shot except for the extra "stick".

14. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Google says 4X for the high dosage shot. Who knows?

15. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That strain sounds like Je55-1E5 flu!

Bros are back!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. VegasLover8

VegasLover8 High-Roller

Heard the best time to get the flu shot was in late October/early November. Something about taking you through the entire flu season. If you get it too early, it might not cover you later in the season. Read it on the internet. So it must be true

17. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to get a flu shot every year. I usually get mine mid October. The only time I didn't get one is when there was no traditional vaccine but there was the inhaled vaccination. It was a live vaccine and we had to sign a waiver acknowledging that it could cause the flu. I didn't take it and I did not get the flu that year. It will be interesting on how it plays out where I work. If you don't get the shot you have to wear a mask. This year we are already wearing a mask so the vaccine holdouts have nothing to hold over them. Every year I go around giving out flu shots on night shift. I have several staff that literally wait until the last day. They have already said they don't plan on getting it this year.

I used to be on the fence about the vaccine. Not that it hurt anything - just that I wasn't sure it helped. Then one year about 8-10 years ago we had multiple young people in their 20's get very very ill and a couple of them died. None had the flu shot. I was a firm believer after that year. It is not a 100% guarantee but even if you get the flu your recovery time is most likely shortened and your illness is not as severe. Unless you are truly allergic to the flu vaccine I see no reason why people don't get it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here. And until I read this, I did not know that there is such a thing as a Senior Flu Shot. I certainly fall into that category.

19. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    59.75 here, going for the younger person version. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Curious about how bad the 'normal' flu will spread with all these Covid precautions most people are taking??

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.