1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Wait for a cab at McCarran

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by savage810, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. savage810

savage810 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw another mention of a long wait for a cab at the airport. I see this from time to time, and I have yet to experience a wait more than ten minutes (though SOMEtimes that feels like an hour when you're ready to go!).

My question is: have I just gotten lucky? Is there a particular time/day when the cab line is full? Did I just jinx my next trip?

:beer:

2. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will throw in my two cents' worth. I have tried bus, cab, shuttle & limo.

The cab line always looks shocking, but seems to move quickly.

The shuttle has no line, but then you sit and wait until it fills. Then you wait until your hotel comes up.

Limo's great......just $$$.

Bus is okay, unless you miss yours.

Anyway......I've never had a long wait in the cab line.

3. bluerider

bluerider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I almost always cab from airport to hotel, usually staying somewhere on the strip. The only time I've ever waited more than 15-20 mins was when I arrived on a Fri Nt. Can't remember exactly what time, but somewhere between 8pm-10pm. It sucked. That line took over an hour!

So it seems most other times are not bad. Remember not to get long hauled!

4. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had a couple of experiences when there were some really long lines at the airport. I'd say it all just depends on if there are points in the day when multiple planes arrive at the same time

5. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our longest wait was probably our first trip and that was probably a 25 minute wait max. The line constantly moves.

Since then most (if not all) trips are pretty much walk up and get in.

The past 2 trip we did the limo so can't report on the cab line.

The Las Vegas cab line is more of the more efficiently run processes as there seems to be an infinite number of cabs.

6. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never waited more than 15 min. But I go during the week when its alot slower.

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think I've ever waited 15 minutes. They have the loading down to a science and move the people and taxis in and out as quickly as they can.

8. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you supposed to tip a man in a cab line at the airport too?

9. addicted

addicted High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have always arrived on a thursday, sometime between noon 2pm, and have never waited more than 5 minutes

10. Countessa

Countessa Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I must go at the wrong times because I have waited for a taxi for over 45 minutes multiple times. This past month there was no wait, but even back in January the whole line up was open and FULL. You are constantly walking because of the setup but can take a very long time on holiday weekends and peak travel times.

11. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know what they do if they run out of room outside. If the entire outside is full the wait won't be much more than 25 minutes. 15-20 is generally what I get when it is busy.

12. Vegas Name Ron Mexico

Vegas Name Ron Mexico Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I have been to Vegas a good number of times and the taxi line is is my most hated thing (well, not including Vegas prices and summer time heat). I have waited 45 minutes and over an hour at various times.
    The worst part is that you are ready to start your trip. Also, if you have more than 1 piece of luggage, weaving in and out of the amusement part style line can be a real headache. Especially if its summer time and 110 degrees.
    My upcoming trip, I arrive on Friday. In order to avoid the taxi line, I planned an early AM arrival. I can find things to do while waiting to check in.

Like someone said earlier:
    Limo is nice, but if you are solo, $60 to $100 is pretty steep for that short ride. Even with 2 others its kinda costly.
    Shuttle is ok, but its per person. If you pay $10 each (dont remember the costs anymore) and there are 3 of you, seems expensive. Then you have to wait for the shuttle to fill. Then if you are near the last stop, plan on a 30 - 45 minute ride. If you are alone, it may be ok for you. Dont they make you pay for round trip also???

Taxi - If you are 3 people deep, the cost is like $5 to $7 each depending on where you are going. And even id alone, its the best deal if the line is fast. Its cheap and direct. Saving money and TIME.

13. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even arriving early, we usually are able to check in - not all the time, but maybe 70%. Do you always have to wait?

14. Bruinfan1

Bruinfan1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The three times I've arrived @ 9 AM, had to wait. No surprise IMHO. The two or three times I've arrived around noon, check-in immediately available.

15. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am starting to be a bit concerned about this, because for the first time we are arriving around 8:30 on a Friday night. If the line is atrocious, I suppose we can try for a one way limo ride.

16. luvnvegas2

luvnvegas2 Guest

Never had what I would consider an unreasonable wait. Did a shuttle once....don't like that at all and don't want to pay for limo. I don't mind the wait, I just consider it part of the Vegas arrival experience!

17. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I solo I do this

I just yell, "Anyone going to the Palms?" or use whatever place you are staying at.

I have been able to drastically reduce my wait a few times. I always cover the ride, because I would have paid for it anyway.

Busy times on Thursday and Friday are the evenings, Friday afternoon. Prepare for what seems like a long wait.

Say Wayne Newton to Paradise to Tropicana or Wayne Newton to Paradise to Flamingo.

When I go to the Palms I say

Wayne Newton to Paradise to Tropicana to interstate to Flamingo Road or Wayne Newton to Paradise to Flamingo Road. Sometimes, if I do the Tropicana route, I throw in Dean Martin Way if I am thinking.

Know your route. Don't get tunneled. The cabbies will always tell you the same old story, CONSTRUCTIUON. Or Stoplights. I say Bovine Manure.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.