1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker VP Strategy Question

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by Reverb, Oct 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reverb

Reverb Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm new to VP and like to drink when I play. I've spent some time learning pretty near perfect JOB strategy but that's the extent of how much time I'm willing to invest in learning strategy. So here's the question: if I branch out into other VP games (I play exclusively bartop), will I be able to use my JOB knowledge to play halfway decently? With more wild cards and so forth am I right to assume that chasing royals is still kind of the goal? Are there certain unique strategies that cut across games that are different from JOB that I should know? Again, I'm too lazy to learn additional strategies and wonder if I'm going to cost myself too much by trying new games.

• Love Love x 1
  2. HuskerBB

HuskerBB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the strategy for Bonus Poker is pretty much the same as JOB. But other than that it gets pretty different for Dueces Wild or the Double (+) Bonus games were two pair is just an even money win. I have not worked on those strategies - so I just stick to JOB and Bonus. Those are also the lower variance games - which is what I prefer personally as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  3. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have learned one strategy, you realize the importance. The other games / pay tables only vary in minor ways.
    Print out strategy sheets from the internet, highlight the difference from what is your baseline, take pictures of the sheets so they are on your phone. Review the differences when you are going to play that game. You will always have a reference when you are unsure of what to do.

Hope this helps

15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    15 NIGHTS, 16 DAYS, May 8-23, MGM PK, GOLDN NUGGET, TIMESH, MANDALAY
    • Like Like x 1
  4. fenway68

fenway68 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes, I asked the same question a few months ago, @tringlomane explained the small % changes between the Job type games, JoB, Bonus, BDlx, DB, and DDB...I cant find the thread or I would quote it here...
    Obviously this doenst translate to the "wild" games, like Deuces...etc

5. TJC

TJC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    JOB strategy is pretty close to strategy for Bonus Poker or Bonus Poker Deluxe.

6. oldbrewzer

oldbrewzer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A8591058-49F8-4006-A088-5167FA0CD342.jpeg Here is a chart that shows how strategy from one game effects the return on other popular games. Can’t remember where I got it but hope it helps.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. dwild

dwild Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting chart. So if anyone ask I should probably tell them to learn JoB first.

Notably missing is Deuces Wild from that list. Using any of those on Deuces would be really bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Waiting For “Very Good” Video Poker @ Rio…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Impressive that there is *so* much interchangeability between JoB, BP, *and* BDlx (which only pays even money for 2P :hmmm:)... good to know, makes studying for my upcoming trip easier :D

9. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kicking off the Trip with Two New Hotels to Us!!!
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.