1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas marathoners check in

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by chef, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slimmy28

slimmy28 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for input, it is appreciated. I had heard about the water and knew it got "bottlenecked" at the end, I had no idea to that extent. I do like the set up that they have for the finish this year. I have to believe that race organizers have taken every step they possibly can to make this a great event. I can't wait and it looks like race day weather looks perfect. Good luck to all who run/walk and volunteer. Never forget those volunteers.

2. bring_the_rukus

bring_the_rukus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i feel confident this year that things will run smoothly. all eyes are on this race and i believe Competitor is too smart to make the same mistakes. im sure we will be fine. but just like last year im bringing my own fuel and water, im staying close to the finish line, im dressing warmly, and i have many food choices lined up for afterward. its all about being prepared!

3. nikki1978

nikki1978 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    good luck to all the runners!!

4. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes good luck to everyone tomorrow!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. theotherone

theotherone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck to all runners tomorrow!

I ran the half last year and loved it. It was one of my slowest halfs because of crowded run lanes and walkers in the way, but otherwise was fun and good. I think the 2 days of walking around the strip leading up to the race didn't help my time. But I enjoyed it.

Never intended to run this year but I hope to return someday to see how they improved the course and try for a sub 2.

Mostly I want to return for a killer craps session at Bill's after the race like last year!

Best of luck to all runners and volunteers -- enjoy it and watch out for heavy crowds in small spaces. If you see you are routed to a mob scene, stay away and go around like I did last year!

6. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    so how was the race?? heard there were only 22k runners this year instead of 60k last year...must have had a little more room

7. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea, anyone got a "trip report" for us?

8. theotherone

theotherone Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ran it last year, and while it was packed, I dont think it was in the 60k range. I had heard more like in the 35k range last year.

I think it was closer to 30k this year, but havent heard for sure.

There has been many more positive reviews on the Rock n Roll las Vegas facebook site so it sounds like they really changed it for the better and worked out the kinks this year. I was really watching the page over the weekend so I could re-live last years time in Vegas.

I'm glad it was better this time but I hope someone weighs in soon with a first hand account.

9. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah I just state what my wife tells me. She's the hardcore runner, she's on the Runner's World forums, she checks in on the RnR website. I know a week before the race they were still trying to get her to run so attendance was waaaay less than 2011.

I'm glad it was better. Even as a spectator last year, I was miserable. Driving like a maniac to get to Fremont St. to see my wife at the turn and then back to the finish was insane. I liked it during the morning two years ago. So much more pleasant for spectators. Less traffic to drive through. Better pictures too as I had daylight. I don't think my wife will ever run RnR Vegas again but i'm glad its better for the others who do

10. bdg626

bdg626 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the results page, last year had just over 33K people as opposed to this year, which had slightly over 22K people.

I ran the half marathon (my first) last year and enjoyed myself. This year, I started in a higher corral (3), so I felt like I didn't have to do much dodging aside from maybe the first mile.

Wind was brutal in the last few miles but that's how it goes. I met my target and will probably not race for time again. It was tough! :beer:

11. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

By all reports, this year's event was a huge improvement over last year. Of initial reviews on www.marathonguide.com, contestants were pleased with their experiences.
    All the bitching on facebook after the 2001 race - virtually non-existent in 2012.

I went down to the start of the full marathon (3:00 PM compared to 4:30 for the halfers). A much larger area was used and was across the street from Mandalay Bay instead on the same side. Plenty of porta-potties, a decent band, bottled water, apples, organized corrals.
    Stayed for the the first part of the race where the runners head south on LV Blvd. to Sunset Rd. and back up the Strip. Even helped hand out some water.
    Immediately afterwards, got on monorail to go back to room at LVH and watch rest of race on local Vegas CBS affiliate.
    About 4:30, a huge cloud rolled in and winds started gusting up to 30 MPH. Rain stayed away, but runners hampered somewhat by windy conditions.
    My son did the full and said the highlight was running through the FSE. Last year, we didn't have that same opportunity. Overall, he said it was a good run with plenty of organization.
    The fiasco at the finish line was alleviated by ending up at the center Strip instead of everyone converging on MB. Neat to see 70 percent of half-marathoners were female, as were 50 percent of the full runners.
    An example of how the kinks and problems were worked at was with the medals. Last year, they ran at. This year, they had plenty, including 10 that were randomly given out and worth $1,000.

12. geoff

geoff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't have a great run (2nd slowest i've done) not sure if i was on my feet too much prior or if it as a nutrition thing or what.. i much prefer running in the morning. only real complaint was after finishing the half, going north on the strip back to wynn/encore was a nightmare. since a few of the walkways past Cp were blocked for TNT/team chal. or whatever private parties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.