1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas' High Roller wheel falls short of expectations

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by makikiboy, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Found this in our local newspaper:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20150309_Vegas_High_Roller_wheel_falls_short_of_expectations.html?id=295631591

But this isn't something new to most of us. While many other wheels like the London eye continually gets new customers visiting London the one in vegas doesn't have as many IMHO. And one time is enough so there aren't many repeat customers riding the vegas roller. I can see them really dropping prices to try to fill up the roller in the future but like other things in vegas this isn't something that will be sustainable (8000 to 11000 riders a day? are you kidding)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2015
  2. pleepleus

pleepleus 2016 - The monkey is back

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This really isn't a surprise. I've gone on it twice to take guests from out of town and nobody was really impressed.

3. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If they made it more like a club and included bottle service it would probably take off.
    Image each dome would have its own theme with a female dancer in one and a male dancer in another to cater to everyone.

5. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought it was fine but not worth doing twice. I did it a second time only because I had free tickets and the friend I was with hadn't done it before. I am not sure I would ride it again even if it was free.

6. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stupid idea poorly executed. Must have been designed by the same people who did the monorail.

7. mrem3200

mrem3200 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree on the stupid idea part, how do you think it could have been executed better? Not saying you are wrong but a stupid idea being executed perfectly is still not going to work, no?

8. pleepleus

pleepleus 2016 - The monkey is back

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's wrong with the monorail? It's sometimes faster than a cab especially during convention time. It would be nice if it ran to the airport, but that's the taxi mafia stopping it.

9. GottaLuvCruising

GottaLuvCruising High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoyed the High Roller and bought it again for July. But I like the monorail, too...

I retired from Disney 16 months ago and was seriously impressed that the High Roller's GM was from Disney and they employed a lot of line management techniques that look very familiar. Clearly they over-estimated the attraction's appeal and how much they could charge for it.

10. CoveredinBeer

CoveredinBeer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't get this either. What's wrong with the monorail? The taxi mafia definitely killed it's max potential, but how else do you get to one end of the strip to the other in 10 minutes for $5?

11. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could not agree more. I was on the Monorail today. It's clean, fast and I've never seen it overcrowded - like some of the buses. And, it's only $1 with a Nevada I.D. Can't beat it.

Bill

12. DReynolds86

DReynolds86 Let's Go Pens!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the Monorail. It's always the first myVegas I redeem when I start planning trips.

13. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What do people want? It's a friggin' giant ferris wheel!

14. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But back to the Big Wheel ...

Like many other projects of a grandiose scale, I don't think those controlling the pocketbook would have gone for it if they had used realistic numbers to project demand, revenue, etc. They had to present the most optimistic figures they could. (Yeah, ditto with the Monorail on this, that's business!)

I enjoyed it when I went. Only disappointment was the photos I took did not come out that well. For the photographers among us, the tint on the pods appeared to cost about two stops and there was some kind of sway/vibration movement which made it difficult to shoot at low speeds. I want to try it again using a camera a bit better suited. (I'm thinking of trying it with Cinestill film.)

Now that the novelty is wearing off, I'm sure they will continue to get modest crowds and the price will stabilize in the lower range of what we are seeing today.

15. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought it was neat but a lot of folks I know would pass it at those prices. Instead of running different Groupons, they need to lower the overall pricing structure. And to attract repeat riders, they need to do things that would make the experience different the next time. It would be easier to come back if there were some special, limited-time entertainment going on before you ride or if the videos were going to be different.

16. DReynolds86

DReynolds86 Let's Go Pens!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Partner with Sapphire to have a different girl in every pod. That'll put some butts in seats.

17. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How much does it cost to rent out a whole pod?

18. pphold

pphold pp Park Place Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know what you are thinking PayTriple go early morning or late evening and ask for your own pod a $50 or $100 tip should do it. other wise it is like 20 to 30 tickets...

19. VegasChic-

VegasChic- VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Question......is there a camera inside the pod?

20. pphold

pphold pp Park Place Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No camera in pod.

But people can see inside pod so bring A blanket

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.