1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas and Laughlin Nov/Dec 20 days total

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by dewey089, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewey089

dewey089 Guru of Value

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

I had a great trip our West which included 20 days in Vegas area. I have begun to move away from the strip and downtown and to Orleans, Boulder Highway, Red Rock, and Laughlin. I did have a few nights at California and they worked fine. I actually had a quiet room in downtown.

I ended up $40 ahead after all that time. I only bought 3 meals. My average room rate was $28 a night. So, I guess it was a frugal trip. Two free MyVegas shows and one $15 Elvis show.
    Plenty of time with family.

Well, here are the details. You won't want to read it all, but skimming for interesting parts or photos might be to your liking. Be sure not to stop skimming after the first loaded page. Hit the link labeled "older posts" in the bottom right corner for the next part of my journey. I loaded it all in the blog backwards so it reads in sequential order.

http://vegasbirthdaybash.blogspot.com/

• Like Like x 6
  2. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was quite the trip! Thanks for taking us along.

GG

3. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was quite the trip! Thanks for taking us along.

GG

4. Joejoejackson

Joejoejackson The Max Bet King

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Dewey for your trip report
    You ever my way on me I'll set ya guys up at Blue Chip in Indiana,My host loves out of Towner's I take care of.

5. KevinSTP

KevinSTP High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your trip reports are my favorite, Dewey. Thanks for sharing.

Edit: Just reading now and I noticed you mentioned the loss damage waiver charge for the car rental. If you have a major non-debit credit card most of them have automatic loss damage coverage, which would save you a nice chunk next time. It's usually buried in the terms, but most Visas, MasterCards and Discover (for sure) offer it. I'm sure AMEX does as well.

The terms say you have to decline the LDW the rental place offers and use the card to pay for the entire cost of the rental. But of course be sure to double check for your specific card.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  6. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome report, Dewey! :D Nice to see you got some good time in with a lot of your family!!!

RICHARD

7. oldcrabtom

oldcrabtom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the very interesting read ! :woohoo:

8. pleasemum

pleasemum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent - loving it - not finished yet though but will save the rest over coffee tomorrow morning. Thanks Dewey

9. g35girl

g35girl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Loved reading your trip report! Thanks for sharing,

10. dewey089

dewey089 Guru of Value

Trips to Las Vegas:
    re: car rental. Years ago I did some research and just could never feel totally comfortable without the LDW. I called my insurance agent and ran it by her. She was conflicted as well. I could get nothing in writing. On my own insurance, my deductible is twice what the LDW costs. Then my son had a hard time abroad after an accident. I think there are plenty of arguments in favor of just depending on insurance, but I feel much better if I have the LDW. Otherwise, I get anxious, so my final decision was to pay to get rid of my anxiety, even if it is unwarranted. One other thing I save is all that inspection time and taking photographs of the vehicle and worries after I get home that the rental car will "find" the damage only after the period to report to insurance has past.
    Certainly, this information and most of the links here are dated. Perhaps the arguments are too. But here is a summary of what I did.
    http://vegasbirthdaybash.blogspot.com/search?q=rental

What I really loved to do was ride the buses. I loved everything about it. The cost was less than gas money for a car. Seniors get a great deal on a 15 or 30 day all access pass. I could get tired or drunk and not worry. I met people. And now I'd avoid all the parking fees. What has changed is that I"ve abandoned downtown as my main plac; it was a great hub for the buses. From Boulder or Orleans I still love the buses, but they can't get me to Red Rock Canyon and those to Laughlin are pretty expensive. Then this year I have some lifting issues, so a car was a better choice.
    Then this year I ran my own car up on a cement triangle where roads join, out of a parking lot. Wow. I could not believe what it cost to fix that and how much hassle I went through. I did not want two accidents on my insurance this year. I expected that my rates would be raised and that over time I'd pay the LDW ree in higher rates.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  11. WWGB

WWGB Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the detailed trip report! My wife wonders if I will be going on trips like that when I'm retired. For now it's just 3-4 nights for me.

I did have a thought regarding the car rental insurance issue. I have not tried it myself, but American Express offers a Premium Car Rental Protection that provides primary coverage for a flat rate per rental:

https://feeservices.americanexpress.com/premium/car-rental-insurance-coverage/home.do

Anyone here use this and have experience with filing a claim?

12. sdbravo

sdbravo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, it is a great service. You decline the car rental agency's LDW and AmEx charges you a flate rate for the entire rental period. Californians pay about $20 per RENTAL (not per day). It's also the primary insurance before your own insurance, which is great.

I had my car dented and keyed on one trip. I called AmEx and they take care of the entire thing, you just send them your rental docs. They deal directly with the car rental company. They have a website where you can track the status of your claim, what documents they need, what they have, etc. In the end, the car rental company wouldn't provide proof of loss of use, so AmEx wouldn't pay their charges, but I was able to negotiate it down from something like $150 to $50.

The second time I filed a claim for a minor scratch after the car rental company sent me a letter in the mail asking for my insurance information. After several months dealing with AmEx, they gave up on the claim and nothing was paid out. I didn't have to do anything except open the claim.

It's a great service!

13. dewey089

dewey089 Guru of Value

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the interest. Good luck on your gambling adventures and special good luck on all motoring, home and away, so you are safe and not hassled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.