1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Update on Flamingo Bird Killer

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by smartone, May 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bazzito52

Bazzito52 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This returns to the private property argument.

The bats were Ozzy's to do with as he pleased. Just like those birds the magicians make appear are theirs as well. I personally think it's disgusting to kill animals as an entertainment, but they're Ozzy's and he can do with them what he wants.

Vermin on my or someone else's property are also ours to dispose of. I have an exterminator come to my house quarterly to spray for bugs to keep them out of my home.

I also have two cats in my home and neither you, Ozzy Osborne, or my exterminator are allowed to touch them. They are my property and just as I don't eat any of Ozzy's bats, he doesn't get to pet my cats. I respect his private property and I expect him to do the same with mine.

The beauty of uninalienable rights is that we get to exercise them simply by being left alone.

2. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^^ Exactly

So this whole situation should have been tried as a private property and property damages case...

and on that basis I feel the sentence is too harsh...

If the dude ripped a tree out of the ground that was of equal value to the bird, I doubt the sentence would have been the same.

3. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So if someone killed (in a particularly gruesome and brutal way) your $1000 puppy, you feel that is the same thing as them doing $1000 worth of property damage to your house or car?

Do you think the person who killed poses the same threat to society as the person who broke something? Does he require the same amount of rehabilitation? Does he deserve the same amount of retribution? Aren't these the reasons we punish lawbreakers?

4. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I do, plus a trespassing penalty

I dont think there is a correlation between killing animals and being a threat to society, I also dont believe in rehabilitation for crime related matters.

And I have my opinions on how we "punish lawbreakers" but that discussion would violate the boards policies so it will be omitted

5. Bubbavegas

Bubbavegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Re the bat incident Ozzy was told it was a rubber bat, HOWEVER he did in a drunken stupor bite the head off a live dove at a CBS recording meeting in 1981 which was intended to be released as a "peace offering". Not to excuse such sick acts but Ozzy is a drug addled old man maybe only exceeded by Keith Richards or Aerosmiths former toxic twins, not a young intelligent law student.

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, that is the law here. If you kill/damage my dog, last time I checked, I was owed the cash value of my dog (ie, purchase price).

And that makes me a little crazy, because she's my dog. :) (and had about $6K worth of vet bills last Christmas, so I am owed some quality time with her)

7. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, you’re right (unfortunately). But there are also animal cruelty laws. I would assume that while the victims (the dog-owner or owner of damaged property) of each of these crimes would be entitled to the same compensation, the perps wouldn’t necessarily face the same criminal penalties. But I honestly have no idea, I could be all wet.

8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know either. I took one look at those LSATs and decided law was not the career for me. :)

9. The Furry One

The Furry One Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally I think the sentence was a little excessive in terms of elapsed time but lenient in it's terms. The sick little get should have gone to jail for a couple of years or so not just 'boot camp' - seems darn silly to me that he can plead guilty to one charge and by doing so avoid trial on that and two other felony charges that reportedly could get him up to 8 years in the slammer. At the very least his career in law should be over, if he gets this plead down to a misdemeanour that would be a travesty imo.

Furry

10. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    70 and counting!!!!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.