1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

UK's August Adventure! A Live TR

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by UKFanatic, Aug 3, 2018.

1. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At MCO airport now. Kind of quiet for a sunday morning, which is not a bad thing. Ready to collapse on the plane and rest for a couple hours. Already starting to think about Mandalay Bay just a few days away!

• Like Like x 2
  2. TomTWI

TomTWI Professional Grandpa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @UKFanatic I'm enjoying the non-vegas part of your TR. If you get a chance I would be interested in your thoughts on the Packers chances this year. I'm a fan first and sports bettor second which is a recipe to lose. I need someone to logically talk me off the ledge. From what I read Green Bay doesn't even win the NFC North.

Thanks,

TomTWI

• Like Like x 1
  3. NJbadlands

NJbadlands Just waiting for my next trip

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m with Tring on this. My next trip w/ my family is November and we are doing four nights Contemporary and two at Caribbean Beach (never stayed). Please advise!

• Like Like x 1
  4. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Tom. I always love talking sports!

I feel your dilemma about being a fan before gambler. That's why I try not to bet on my UK Cats. My judgment is always skewed with them. But I have no true fandom in the NFL and my initial thoughts on the Packers is that you can back off the ledge. I like them and think they are a playoff team, but as a wildcard.

IMO, Minnesota is likely the best team in the league this year. That was something else that surprised me in my initial research. The Vikes are just insanely talented on both sides of the ball. And even though I am not a big fan of Cousins, I do think he is an upgrade for them. And I am assuming that Cook comes back strong. But that team is loaded and it wouldn't surprise me if they win 14 games.

As for the Packers, Rodgers is just incredible. But he covers up a lot of their weaknesses. If he stays healthy, he carries them to double digit wins. And you never know what can happen in the playoffs. So if I am a fan, that sounds like a fun season.

What are your thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  5. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, as I wrote yesterday, I was a bit disappointed in CB. But let me now emphasize the good aspects. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated. The grounds at the property were really well kept and the little details, like most Disney properties, were nice touches (e.g., we stayed in the "Jamaica" section and saw little jamacian theme details). Overall, I just hated how spread out it was and the problems with internal transportation.

I am curious what you will think about Contemporary. I haven't stayed there since I was a kid. I love the location, but stayed at the Poly and Wilderness Lodge the last couple times I was near the magic kingdom

6. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    M's parents will have scooters and we'll hopefully have a building closer to the main area? Do you think that would improve transportation? What you are describing is eerily similar to what we dealt with at Port Orleans Riverside. That was a bus disaster even with a room close to the main bus stop. They shared with French Quarter and had multiple bus stops.

7. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I doubt a room at the first set of buildings would help much. The only connection to the Customs House is a narrow two lane road. There are no walking paths. The internal buses at the property are fine in terms of being able to transport people on ECVs (those buses are about the same size and configuration as the ones that take guests to the parks). Its just a slow moving process. There are (I think) six bus stops at the property. So you can end up waiting around for a fair amount of time waiting for transport

8. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FWIW, I would ask for rooms in the northernmost buildings of the second section (which I think is Trinidad North). Those rooms are closest to the centertown pavilion, where the main pool and couple dining options are located.

9. john1516inny

john1516inny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks for the info about CB. Were you able to do the Minnie Vans from your hotel. Agree with you, love Flying Fish, always excellent!! Did you ever you Disney transport, if so, was there an arrival time monitor at the bus stops.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did not use the minnie vans because they were incredibly more expensive than just using Lyft. Since the only two places we went (TL and Boardwalk resort) did not have direct transportation service via Disney, we only used rideshare (it was approximately six bucks a trip; well worth the cost rather than waiting for a bus, riding to Disney Springs, transferring, and then riding another bus). The lack of direct transportation to the water parks is a downside for those parks, but we knew that going in.

I did notice, though, that each of the bus stops at CB (except the Customs house) were for both the internal buses at the resort and the typical disney-wide bus transportation service. I saw each stop had the usual electronic board showing when each bus to a different park would arrive. I know they also have that info now on the My Disney Experience app so you can better time when to leave your room and walk down to the bus stop

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. john1516inny

john1516inny Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks, was wondering about that.

12. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am now unpacking form the first stop of my month long journey and realize my skin is peeling off in large clumps! I guess the combination of vampire-like skin, and three straight weekends at the beach, a pool resort, and a water park have taken their toll! I just checked the weather forecast for my upcoming day at Moorea Beach club. No surprise that the temps will be pushing one hundred ten. Looks like I may try and start a vegas frowned upon trend of covering myself from head to toe at a euro style party pool :eek:

13. NJbadlands

NJbadlands Just waiting for my next trip

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This will be my second stay at Contemporary with the family. I have a 7 year old and 9 month old, so the monorail convenience can’t be beat. I’ve stayed at Wilderness Lodge three times (love ambiance but no monorail) and prefer contemporary to Polynesian just barely. I’ve also got a soft spot for Beach Club, but in November I won’t be using pool as much as would in spring/summer so opted for Contemporary. Rooms are very nice there as well.

14. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We love beach club! Its definitely our fav. Wilderness Lodge would be much better with mono access, but we found the boat ferry to be a decent alternative

15. birdman925

birdman925 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep. The Vikings will win the division.

16. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. A lot of things broke right for them last year, but they have so much talent. If they don't turn it over, they are going to win a lot. The NFC north should be the toughest division in the NFL this year. But it helps that they also play the AFC east, which should net them three wins

17. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just catching up on part 1. Of your TR.
    Looking forward to hearing about MB.Have not stayed there in several years.

18. TomTWI

TomTWI Professional Grandpa

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @UKFanatic @birdman925

Thanks you probably saved me some money. I'm still betting on the Pack, just not as much.

My take is the Packers will be much improved defensively and with Rodgers back good again offensively. I'm happy they replaced both coordinators and General Manager. They will be more of an unknown instead of the same stale plays/defensive look. I predict 11 and 5. fan-tasy?

TomTWI

19. Hoofy7

Hoofy7 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with your insight. College bets? Been watching a young running back from my hometown ( son of one of my friends from school) and I think Penn State will have some surprises in backs and unpredictability this year. Have a great trip!

• Like Like x 1
  20. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think that's very realistic. Assuming Rodgers stays healthy, I gauge their win total at somewhere between 10 and 12. I am rating them tied for fifth in my initial power ratings