1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Uber/Lyft Up to Date Questions

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by La$Vega$, Mar 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. La$Vega$

La$Vega$ What happens in Vegas is put on VMB forever

Trips to Las Vegas:
    - We have always rented a car and will to some extent on our upcoming trip (traveling out of Vegas, visiting friends etc.)
    However, it seems we possibly will not need one the first day or two of our trip
    - I have a smart phone.
    - Seems with all the the charging for parking it would be easier to post 'which do not charge' (different subject)
    - I have not ubered or lyfted (words?) before or loaded the apps. I probably will for this trip. I have read and spoken to many different folks on both to some degree, but at arms length (not really taking it all in). I've seen the uber app in action etc.

If this has already been addressed, forgive me in advance.

If you have used both uber/lyft while in Vegas, please free free to add your comments, suggestions or information

Q's:
    1) Which do you prefer?
    2) Ease with both to use?
    3) Any big cost difference?
    4) Do you have any links to $aving rides?
    5) Do the hotels have uber/lyft pick-up areas?
    6) Tipping?
    7) Please add any other pertinent comments, suggestions or information you may have

I understand you have had good/bad stories regarding both, but let's keep this somewhat focused.
    Thanks in Advance!

2. starlight0229

starlight0229 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1. I like Lyft because it is a bit less expensive
    2. They are both equally easy to use. The apps operate in a similar manner.
    3. Lyft is usually cheaper if you do not have promos.
    4. There is a thread here somewhere with promo info.
    5. The hotels all seems to have a designated pick up area and some have drop off areas too.
    6. The Lyft app offers the ability to tip. The Uber app does not.

I choose which one I used based on the promos I have available. Sometimes I will price it out in both apps and choose the one that is more promising.

3. Hurr1cane310

Hurr1cane310 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1. I prefer Lyft as both a rider and driver. Lyft has a more in depth vetting process for their drivers. Not saying they deny a bunch, but they at least have someone look at your car and take a ride with you before you can drive. For example, it took a week, a test drive, and car inspection for me to drive Lyft in my city. Signed up for Uber on their website and received an email 30 minutes later saying I was approved.
    2. They are very similar and both are pretty easy to use.
    3. Any cost difference will be negligible. Also rates do change from time to time. Check on their websites for most up to date rates.
    4. There is a thread here otherwise just do a quick google search. Should be a code out there for a decent credit.
    5. Each place has a specific area where pick ups are allowed. The app will generally tell you. For instance it may say south valet or non valet entrance.
    6. Lyft offers ability to tip in app so that the whole amount goes on your card and no cash changes hands. With either app you are more than welcome to tip with cash however. Uber has in the past discouraged tipping. I can tell you these drivers maybe make 10-15 dollars an hour without tips. Tips would be greatly appreciated by them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sent you a PM.

5. La$Vega$

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thx S, H & I !
    I appreciate this!

6. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are both pretty similar and treated the same.. It would be like shopping at Target, or Walmart.. Lyft lets you tip through the app on your card. Uber does not, so you will have to throw him a few bucks in cash if you want to tip..

7. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be trying ride share for the first time. Downloaded the apps but can't use an Uber code since I'm not new to them. I used Uber once 3 years ago in NYC so no new user codes for me. My brother is a Lyft driver so he gave me code for $5 of 2 rides and he gets $10 from Lyft. So me and the wife will both set up Lyft accounts and use those before we try Uber. From what I understand they are both similar like a Coke & Pepsi.

8. Pea

Pea Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I swore I posted in a thread last night about Uber promo codes that weren't working, but just cannot find it. Am I losing my mind, or did it get deleted?

Not so concerned about discount, but wanted to give this board credit since I read about Uber here first.

9. ItsVegasTime

ItsVegasTime Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While both are pretty similar, I prefer Lyft. Mainly because of the allowing a tip to be added on within the app.

10. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use both. Even if the lyft app allows a tip to be added, I still tip in cash. That way they have the money instantly.

11. La$Vega$

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used Lyft 5 times on our recent trip and it was always top shelf
    Used it at O'Hare and it was just ok.
    Driver had a windshield wiper that was bad in a driving rain & missed our cut-off due to talking and unfamiliar territory.
    Our discount codes saved a bundle

1st time using Lyft & have never used Uber. Some drivers drive for both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.