1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Uber long haul?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by BlueBellThunder, Mar 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its been my observation that in Lyft (and probably Uber too) if you put your destination on the app, the price is set regardless of the route the driver takes. So being "long hauled" really doesnt exist. However, yes you can be late if the driver ignores the GPS or your preferred directions, which is annoying.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're 100% correct. I'm really confused by ANYONE saying they were "long hauled". Are you not looking at the price and map when you type it into Uber/Lyft? It LITERALLY shows you a GPS map of where you are going and the estimated price. You don't have to accept it...

And once you accept it, if the driver starts going somewhere else, that's tough shit for them (they are wasting their own gas). I had an Uber driver miss a turn once, and it didn't change my price...it did take longer, but MY price stayed the same. Getting "long hauled" in an Uber is not really possible (I have only used Lyft a handful of times, so can't completely comment there, though I'd imagine it's the same). It's not like you'll agree to $15, then the driver goes a different route and boom you're charged $30...that's not how it works.

Think of it like ordering food off a menu. You look at a burger, and it's $10. You tell the waiter you want a burger. If they decide to make you the best burger in the world, or the worst, or add in bacon when it wasn't on the menu, they technically can do that, but you're still paying the $10 menu price.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a driver deviate from the route by missing exits and I was charged more. Opening a complaint got me the money refunded. I considered it a long haul because I was charged a lot more than estimated and I was 30 min late to my destination. The beauty of Uber vs. cabbies is you have immediate recourse- money was refunded and I rated the driver poorly.

5. topcard

topcard When will Vegas Really Re-Open?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ...for mine, the 'estimate' was $14 or $15...don't remember for certain...what I definitely remember is that the total ended up being over $20...didn't impact me, as I mentioned before, as I was using a 'free ride' anyway.
    The driver even told me that the fare would be higher than the estimate...which is why he asked me if I minded taking the tunnel.

The "I'm gonna go ANYWAY" Trip!
  6. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Uber/Lyft business model is a deterrent to long-hauling; their vehicle, their gas. Have been using and love Uber.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola El Jefe

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm kind of curious if when an Uber rider gets refunded for their ride, for long hauling or poor service, if the driver has to eat the entire refund amount.

:peace: :beer:

June 13 - 24. Can. Hardly. Wait.
  8. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mike...if they get voted low multiple times (1 - 2 stars) they eventually get banned from driving for Uber/Lyft. It's VERY MUCH in their best interest to not mess with passengers. For example, saintpauljeff above described that he was "long hauled" and reported to Uber who immediately refunded, and he rated the driver badly. If that driver does it a few times they won't be able to drive for Uber much longer.

9. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think I know how low the Uber rating needs to be in order to disqualify a driver, I'd be interested as when a driver picks up your fare you can see them and their rating immediately.

10. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you order a ride the drivers rating is there with pic and tag number. Drivers need to maintain +- 4.60 or be taken off road. Anything less than 5* is a bad rating. Many people give 4* for a ride that was just normal, thinking that is a good rating. It is not. Estimates are just that. No one can predict an accident delaying or clogging traffic. It has happened to me as a driver and as a passenger(when in Vegas). Ride is based on time and distance. Time being adding not much. In my area it is 11cents per minute. I believe vegas is around 17 CPM. If you do not like the look or rating of the driver when you are ordering your ride, you have 5 minutes to cancel without a penalty charge.

• Like Like x 1
  11. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    both Uber and Lyft will long haul you. especially in vegas. when they do, you may be paying nearly as mush as you would have in a cab, if you don't dispute it. of course this is not a blanket statement. they do have some decent drivers. I have found Uber / Lyft service in my home town to be much better.

12. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While they can, it's absolutely not in their best interest at all, if they want to continue driving for Uber/Lyft. This would be the equivalent to a restaurant giving you a menu with pricing, then when you get the check, the pricing is like 50% higher than it was on the menu. The majority of people would dispute it and rip the restaurant to shreds on Yelp, Google Reviews, etc, and they'd go out of business.

13. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yep, you would think so. yet the internet, message boards and word of mouth are full of Uber / Lyft long haul stories.

14. phantomfj

phantomfj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe these long hauling uber/lyft drivers are taxi drivers who want to try and tarnish their competition?

15. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, all I have to say about it, is it's a hell of a lot easier to dispute it with Uber/Lyft than a regular taxi. And most of the time even if you're long hauled it is cheaper STILL than a taxi.

Moral of the story is, it's the best option regardless really.

A lot of these stories on here sound like the passenger didn't say anything and just paid and got out. When I use Uber/Lyft I look at the estimated price, and chill with the app open in my lap while we drive. If notice we go off track I immediately ask what or why (happened a couple times. Once the driver said "there's always a ton of traffic that way, I'll freeze your price" or something like that...so I paid the quoted price before we started). If the price is all of a sudden much higher at the end I WOULD ask why (I have never had that happen over 50+ rides). Some of these stories on here or elsewhere the passenger I guess gets out, then bitches later on the internet? If you get a cold steak at a restaurant, you ask them to fix it...not leave and go bitch on the internet later after paying full price for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.