1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Uber conundrum

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Joe, Nov 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We don't have smart phones, but we have tablets. Our charge card company is offering a free $30 ride for first time users, so I created an account and signed up. In order to confirm, they sent a text to my cell phone but we don't get texts. I tried to find a help # with no luck. Email message hasn't had a reply.

Our plan was to order Uber from our room at MSS, using the wifi, then go down and wait for the driver to take us to Orleans.

Any thoughts beside saying buy a phone.

2. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately, this is a downside to all the tech out there. In order to use Lyft and Uber you pretty much need to have a smart cell phone. I noticed also that they can see your actual location and will tell you that you're at the wrong entrance/exit for pickup. Pretty amazing stuff that only works with a smartphone device. I was dragged kicking and screaming into the smart phone era, but now I use it more than my tablet!

3. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uber and lyft are very, very fast. This week, I've never had to wait more than 2-3 minutes to get picked up, even when off strip (but not too far off). Ordering a ride from the room then walking out front will be too long. They would have come and gone and you'll be charged. I don't know if there's a way to make it work. Some drivers do call once they're out front. Even when you're done the ride, within a minute of getting outside of the car, you have to confirm the total charges and tip if you want. All electronic...no cash, plus rate the driver with comments too. It may seem like a lot but it's really a slick system.

Perhaps it's possible if you can carry a tablet with you. Are you one of those people that tour around taking pictures with tablets? I hate those people, lol. I was surprised by all the free wifi on the strip these days so you may have access that way.

4. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    use your tablet to download an app called "textfree" it will basically give you a bogus phone number that will work for free as long as you have wifi. Then you can do the promo and receive a text on your tablet..

5. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took an Uber from Orleans and GN. I hit the go button on the Uber app and the driver was already there waiting for me.

6. Sidekicknick

Sidekicknick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Google Voice number could also allow you to get a number and send texts through that number via wifi

7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I could state the obvious answer, but that is already obvious or maybe rude....

You can buy older versions of smart phones really cheap that pretty much do everything all the new ones do.

8. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah I'd recommend this as well; a pre-paid plan would also suffice for your light smartphone needs

9. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once you order an Uber/Lyft - it will tell you how long the pickup time is. If its only 2-3 minutes because they are there, a quick call to the driver to tell them you are heading down will work just fine.

10. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe - you are a veteran here, so I know you can take the heat... 2006 called, they are saying it is time to buy a real phone. :poke:

In all seriousness, Uber/Lyft are both built on the premise of using a smart phone. Your phone uses the locator feature to better request drivers, and the drivers may often call you to confirm pickup location. You are really setting yourself back if you cannot either take calls or receive texts on a mobile device from the drivers.

Good luck!

11. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    often or most times you will get a call or text from the driver on your smart phone, it is really convenient. but not wanting another device or bill I can understand.

12. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Joe, happy Thanksgiving! I know you said not to say buy a phone, but what about a burner phone? You can pick them up cheap and just pay 10$ a month, only when you go to Vegas. No commitment and just turn it on for Vegas trips! Plus it beats lugging a table around.

P.S. no problem with you not having a cell phone. I unlinked my work email from my cell phone years ago. Cord-cutters unite...I want my work-life balance!

https://www.puretalkusa.com/buy-cell-phones-online.php

notice the ZTE is only 25 bucks....

Plus you can feel like Jason Bourne or some other under-the-radar action star!

First time in Tahoe!!!
    Mother-Daughter trip-Tower Suite (roll away for me!)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.