1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

U.S. Open at Chambers

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So what do you guys think? Will shooting par win it this year?

I saw a thing on the golf channel last night, phil and others were throwing balls out to see the way they react on the green and it was funny because a few feet made the difference between a 5 foot putt and a 25 foot putt. Yup, it is going to take someone being creative to win this thing. And I think we are probably going to see some disasters too.

I hope for the best, esp for Tiger but it doesn't seem like a course he will do well on, esp if he doesn't hit his drives straight.

2. radvegas

radvegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really like the layout from the couple of clips I have seen. Coming from the north west of England we are spoilt of having the likes of royal Birkdale, royal Lytham, royal Liverpool, formby etc all in a very small distance from each other. The links style is what I prefer to watch. When people talk about issues with the greens i.e. pitching the ball in the wrong place by 5 foot and ending up 30 yards away, that is the course your playing, that's one of its defences. I just hope the quality of the greens are good. If you've got tour pros hitting five foot putts on good lines and they are missing, that's when problems can arise!!

3. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am looking forward to watching the open, the course looks challenging. We (DH & I) belong to a links style course and I love how we need to adjust our play based one wind and hardness of fairways/greens; makes for a different course everyday pending on conditions and pin placement. Sunday will be a fun day, I got tickets for DH last year when they went on sale so we will be watching and walking as they play the final day!

I am hoping Phil can pull it off as I would love to see him win; it's a long shot, but I am optimistic! DH is rooting for Rory, he thinks his game will be ready and suits this course. It would be nice to see Spieth make a great showing and show some game versatility.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thankfully it is staring and all the conflicting prognostications will go away. We've heard it is for bombers and, no, it really isn't. It's a second-shot course, except for those that say it all will be determined on the green. A lot of folks see dry and water in the backdrop and think "links" and scooters, except for some guy named Woods who says no problem going in high on these greens.

lol

5. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well it is still very early but I don't know if you could draft a more star-studded leaderboard in your head.

Mickelson -2
    Stenson -2
    D. Johnson -2
    Scott -2
    McIlroy -1
    Kaymer -1
    Kuchar -1
    Matsuyama -1
    Reed -1

Let's hope it stays this way for the week and it's not one of those runaways that have occurred to often in majors as of late.

Oh yeah and let's hope we get to see a lot of struggles like Bubba's on #1 where he left it at his feet a couple times. That is always fun!

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great analysis from Weiskopf and Hanse as to nature of this course and the playing options available.

7. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have some money on DJ. Wire to wire!

8. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So far, the commentary/coverage has been a cut above other tournaments. They could lose Menefee, and for God's sake stop showing Tiger every time he scratches his ass. His situation stopped being news a long time ago. I'm not big into features, but the '90's quiz and the shot of the Hammer kid running followed by Sergio running were both fun.

9. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd have to disagree with the commentary. If I heard Joe Buck call poor Cole Hammer by the name of Phillies Pitcher Cole Hammels one more time I was going to drive cross country to Washington to give Buck a piece of my mind. I can't stand him calling his speciality of baseball so I could surely do without him covering my speciality of golf. Norman, Flesch and Faxon have been welcomed analysts.

The coverage has been great. Plenty of shot tracer and the use of the color saturation to show the slopes is great. So far I give it a B+ for coverage and would be an A- or A without Buck.

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, put me in the they-haven't-done-this-before camp. Poor camera work, some cool graphics, too many unsure voices often going on too long.

11. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah so far Fox is totally blowing the coverage.

Speaking of blowing, Tiger is not even ready for his member guest let alone the Open.

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was nearly a 3w shank on 12.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FOX has now decided that a SE wind is a NW wind.

14. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tiger's putting like a 20 handicapper with the yips.

15. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good news for Tiger.

There's one club pro he's still beating.

16. shifter

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cold top on 18.

Now he's just embarrassing himself.

17. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live really close by to this course.. haven't played at it yet... beautiful views though. similar to the views I get at home.

18. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's pretty cool to have the football guys doing the coverage and Greg Norman has some great things to say. I'd like to see Charles Barkley and Troy Aikman there, too!

Why were they showing Tiger and Ricky so much? The stunk it up. It was painful. Joe Buck said about 3 times that they asked Tiger's handlers for an interview and were turned down. But Ricky showed up and talked to them.

19. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I turned it on for about 30 minutes last night and immediately thought... yuck! UGLY!!! Reminded me of the 9-hole dirt lot course in Fallon!!! I'm glad I read this thread though and will spend more time this weekend watching and I'm sure enjoying the tournament. I'm definitely one of those who appreciates the "look" of the lush green courses lined with beautiful trees.

20. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Terrible coverage yesterday, they focused on only 4 or 5 golfers and half the time when they're showing a shot they had no graphic up telling what his score was, what hole is it, is it for par or birdie, etc.

I do like the course, certainly tricky but with 30 guys breaking par, you cant say it was too tough.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.